Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
(09-02-2020, 07:39 AM)jgsz Wrote: The crane is going higher today.
Is this the final increase in height for the crane?

(09-02-2020, 10:36 PM)jordan2423 Wrote:

I haven't looked, but it needs to accommodate another 8 floors at least, plus mechanical, and whatever specialized hair style combover they're doing. If it went up by 100 ft, then that should be enough. It's over height should be close to 400ft.
(09-02-2020, 10:36 PM)jordan2423 Wrote:

A few months ago when they were doing the last raise they said that raise took them to 25 storeys, and this raise would take them to 31 storeys. So, assuming plans haven't changed, yes this will be the final raise.
I think the crane is at the final height. Glass is also going in rapidly now, about a floor every second day.

Cladding looks pretty good. I think this should turn out well overall.
Photo 
Had a trip to Kitchener, got a few shots. It is on its 25th floor, looks nice.

Great shots! And welcome to WRC

Looking good! And still more floors to go.
Charlie West this morning:

[Image: 57teypG.jpg]
I was biking on King Street and the crane is now visible from Union Street. I thought it was Station Park at first.
Just an awesome street level feeling. I moved back to Kitchener from Ottawa in 2007. The Pharmacy building was just getting going. Things have changed SO much
(09-14-2020, 11:59 AM)Spokes Wrote: Just an awesome street level feeling.  I moved back to Kitchener from Ottawa in 2007.  The Pharmacy building was just getting going.  Things have changed SO much

I remember when that went up. It was one of the first things to really rejuvenate the downtown, along with the Kaufman Lofts and Arrow Lofts. It was really exciting to see. Fast forward a couple years, we've now got dozens of high rises all over the city and a rapid mass transit system moving close to 20'000 people a day. The entire region has changed drastically...even the population is getting staggeringly high, nearing 620'000 region wide. It's a nice change to experience.
Agreed! this building has a great presence from the street level. I know some people are disappointed with the garage screen, but i kind of like it. It is heaps better than is being built in other areas of our cities. Examples being DTK and One28 King. The curtain wall is looking really good to me. The spandrel panels blend nicely with the glass. Easily one of the best towers in the region in my opinion. This area of Kitchener could become quite interesting when the bus terminal and post office get redeveloped.

The garage screen is offensive to say the least. A massive, essentially blank wall being built in 2020, across from an LRT staion is outrageous in my opinion. The city should.have never approved more height if it meant 6 floors of parking and the wall it created.
It really does not look blank if you are standing on Charles St. There are plenty of far worse podium treatments in town to choose from.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »