Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Unique Houses of Waterloo Region
(06-07-2020, 02:25 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 610 York St, Kitchener.

Here's that house as seen from the Iron Horse Trail.

Interesting that the back of the house is open to the trail. Not everyone would be comfortable with that, although I’m sure that the balcony gets more use than the limited yard space.
(06-10-2020, 09:08 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Interesting that the back of the house is open to the trail.  Not everyone would be comfortable with that, although I’m sure that the balcony gets more use than the limited yard space.

I don’t think the house has much property on the trail side (or any side, for that matter). It’s only 20m from the wall of the house to the concrete path associated with the apartments on Esson St. so it’s entirely possible the house is built almost up to the boundary of the trail right-of-way (former railway property).

I wonder how much they had to do to get that through zoning?
(06-10-2020, 10:17 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(06-10-2020, 09:08 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Interesting that the back of the house is open to the trail.  Not everyone would be comfortable with that, although I’m sure that the balcony gets more use than the limited yard space.

I don’t think the house has much property on the trail side (or any side, for that matter). It’s only 20m from the wall of the house to the concrete path associated with the apartments on Esson St. so it’s entirely possible the house is built almost up to the boundary of the trail right-of-way (former railway property).

I wonder how much they had to do to get that through zoning?

It's, in fact, built right to the property line. Couldn't find any documents on the approvals for that.

But I did discover that we actually have a thread for this house! Smile
http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...hp?tid=463
I'm amused that one of the most recent posts in that thread is clearly a post that was merged in noting that there's a thread for this house.
(06-08-2020, 02:03 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(06-08-2020, 12:05 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I really like that Forest Hill house. I wonder whether that's original, a new build or just a very impressive reno, Kitchener's GIS system has no building permits listed at all. A lot of maintenance to keep that cedar looking nice though!

Per Street View, this is a re-clad done sometime in the last 5 years. The old look was more 60s-70s: https://www.google.com/maps/place/47+For...4?hl=en-CA

That’s really interesting! I actually like the old look of the 60s-70s much more than the reno. Very charming. 
I walked past this centuryish home on Mill St., done up in modern colours and style.

While maybe not the most unique house in the region, I think it looks amazing, never seen those two styles mesh so well before.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4406619,-...312!8i6656

Looks great !!
I love how the green door perfectly matches the plants along the walkway.
(06-15-2020, 11:41 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I walked past this centuryish home on Mill St., done up in modern colours and style.

While maybe not the most unique house in the region, I think it looks amazing, never seen those two styles mesh so well before.

Well, they're taking very good care of their property. There are a couple places on Mill where it doesn't seem people care, then you have these home owners. Would love to see what the inside looks like.
The houses on Mill between Heiman and Queen have always been a mixed bag in terms of maintenance, although I’d say it has been improving in recent years.
Iirc, that renovation was done in the early 1970s (late 1960s?) and would have been thought of as quite bold/stylish at the time.  Today it seems incoherent.  I doubt the place will ever be restored to anything like its original appearance.  The small building attached at the side makes me thing that this might have been the home and office of a doctor, back in the day, but I can't recall.

It certainly qualifies as unique, though!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »