Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Young (née Mayfair Hotel) | 5 fl | Complete
(11-23-2020, 01:44 PM)ac3r Wrote: Oh yay, another great piece of real estate to be occupier by a bank.
They are moving from one downtown building to another, so it is not like the city is losing retail space.

(11-23-2020, 02:26 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 01:44 PM)ac3r Wrote: Oh yay, another great piece of real estate to be occupier by a bank.
They are moving from one downtown building to another, so it is not like the city is losing retail space.
It would have been too large for a weed store anyway.  Wink
(11-23-2020, 02:13 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

Apparently people still want to visit banks. If they didn't, the banks would not be paying for prime real estate.

There are retail spaces available for all kinds of businesses in DTK, it's not as if banks are monopolizing all the available retail space.

That shoe is starting to drop in provincial NZ as well as in cities. Last week: "Bank of New Zealand to close 38 branches" (e.g. https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/3001625...k-branches).
The metal cladding looks good, too. Just need to wrap up the detail work for the ground floor now.

Every time I look at this building Im just really impressed. I do however get the "ugh" factor of having a bank in the ground floor. Further reinforces the idea that DTK closes at 5pm
(11-27-2020, 03:02 PM)Spokes Wrote: Every time I look at this building Im just really impressed.  I do however get the "ugh" factor of having a bank in the ground floor.  Further reinforces the idea that DTK closes at 5pm

It will start to change once we have more people actually living in DTK. Lots of projects going up, but still waiting for people to move in. Five years from now, it will be different.
We said that exact same thing 5 years ago though, lol. Eaton's Lofts was going revitalize everything, then Kaufman Lofts, then the UW Pharmacy campus, then the Arrow Lofts, then City Centre, then Google etc etc etc. Besides some condos that maybe 0.5% of the population could ever dream of affording, an LRT that barely manages to carry 25'000 people a day and some bike lanes and shiny bollards...downtown Kitchener hasn't changed one bit (nor uptown for that matter).

It has nothing to do with how many people live downtown, it has everything to do with what there is to do downtown - especially after 5PM. There's a couple dive bars and hipster bars, I guess, but not much else. Where are the music venues? Art galleries? Truly unique restaurants? Movie theatres (preferably at least one that doesn't show Hollywood or film festival garbage)? Theatres for plays? Performance art venues? Comedy venues? Is there anything in the parks besides goose shit and discarded syringes? Are there things to draw people of all classes - not just yuppies who can afford 40 dollar steaks, cocktails and thousands of dollars in living expenses per month - downtown? Not really. Considering how much I am involved in the community as an architect and planner, the general consensus I hear about downtown/uptown is that...yeah things have changed, but not in any really meaningful way.

You can't put the cart before the horse.
(11-27-2020, 05:52 PM)ac3r Wrote: We said that exact same thing 5 years ago though, lol. Eaton's Lofts was going revitalize everything, then Kaufman Lofts, then the UW Pharmacy campus, then the Arrow Lofts, then City Centre, then Google etc etc etc. Besides some condos that maybe 0.5% of the population could ever dream of affording, an LRT that barely manages to carry 25'000 people a day and some bike lanes and shiny bollards...downtown Kitchener hasn't changed one bit (nor uptown for that matter).

It has nothing to do with how many people live downtown, it has everything to do with what there is to do downtown - especially after 5PM. There's a couple dive bars and hipster bars, I guess, but not much else. Where are the music venues? Art galleries? Truly unique restaurants? Movie theatres (preferably at least one that doesn't show Hollywood or film festival garbage)? Theatres for plays? Performance art venues? Comedy venues? Is there anything in the parks besides goose shit and discarded syringes? Are there things to draw people of all classes - not just yuppies who can afford 40 dollar steaks, cocktails and thousands of dollars in living expenses per month - downtown? Not really. Considering how much I am involved in the community as an architect and planner, the general consensus I hear about downtown/uptown is that...yeah things have changed, but not in any really meaningful way.
As a "planner" in the community what have your contributions been in the last 10 years?
Building looks great! I love the glass. Definitely a cool look!
(11-27-2020, 05:52 PM)ac3r Wrote: We said that exact same thing 5 years ago though, lol. Eaton's Lofts was going revitalize everything, then Kaufman Lofts, then the UW Pharmacy campus, then the Arrow Lofts, then City Centre, then Google etc etc etc. Besides some condos that maybe 0.5% of the population could ever dream of affording, an LRT that barely manages to carry 25'000 people a day and some bike lanes and shiny bollards...downtown Kitchener hasn't changed one bit (nor uptown for that matter).

Are you kidding ? Do you even go Downtown ? Before covid we had lots to do.  Museum...I go, arts , different theater companies...Centre in Square... I go... Conrad centre..I go... Multiple events downtown, Blues festive, kriskringel market...movie nights at summer at city hall,  I am just listing a few things.  My family and I find many reasons to come downtown.   Let's start with the kitchener market, many awesome little restaurants, cool bars...Grand Trunk Saloon, Entertainment at Whiskey Barrel before it closed. I can go on... And we live in the suburbs but still go and enjoy the downtown.  Oh my barber is there too.  A hair cut is expensive because I always treat myself to a meal and drink too....

I am so tired of people saying there is nothing, rediculous. Get out and explore..

It's funny how two people can look at the same thing and see something completely different. I remember DTK before the pharmacy building, before the new city hall and before the Tannery. I look at it today, and I see a huge change -- even if it's quiet after 6 PM.

There are a lot more jobs in downtown now, and this is why there are people there during the day. In the evening, not so many as the population has not grown as quickly, and many people that go to DTK concerts or plays tend to drive in, go to the event and drive back. No one building will change things overnight, but there are something like 1,500 units (of condos and apartments) under construction in DTK, and that will bring more people living downtown. (And, yes, most condos and apartments are less expensive than houses.)

(11-27-2020, 05:52 PM)ac3r Wrote: It has nothing to do with how many people live downtown, it has everything to do with what there is to do downtown - especially after 5PM.

You won't get more things to do downtown until there are more people: businesses need customers. There are a lot of coffee shops now thanks to the number of people working downtown. As the number living there goes up, there will also be more things to do.

If you have some kind of magic prescription or secret sauce for attracting new business without the need for a customer base, I think the city would love to hear from you.
I remember when I was going to UW people would complain about how there's no interesting food and things to do in Waterloo, which was kind of, though not completely, true at the time. The thing is, they never visited the cool things that did exist. Their experience of Waterloo literally extended to University Plaza and not beyond. Even at that time there were great spots in uptown - Moody Blue's, Jane Bond, Starlight, Gen-X... At a certain point, your experience of a place becomes more a reflection of yourself and how you interact with it.

As someone who grew up here. I would say downtown is the best it has been in my lifetime. I remember the decline of the malls and all the empty storefronts. It’s much much better now, way more interesting spots. The city is doing a great job with events in downtown (except 2020). I would say once all it’s missing teeth (gaps in the street front) and filled it will be a great place.
(11-28-2020, 10:26 AM)neonjoe Wrote: As someone who grew up here. I would say downtown is the best it has been in my lifetime. I remember the decline of the malls and all the empty storefronts. It’s much much better now, way more interesting spots. The city is doing a great job with events in downtown (except 2020). I would say once all it’s missing teeth (gaps in the street front) and filled it will be a great place.

All true. Cory Bluhm (economical development) and Jeff Young (Special Events) have done a lot for this city. Cory's vision for what he felt that DTK should look like is really starting to come around. Several years ago Cory had posted a mock-up video on YouTube regarding Kitchener's transformation downtown, and it was amazing. It's just interesting that much of what he wanted to see for DTK is actually coming.

Jeff Young has also done a great job at having our downtown core active more a good chunk of the year. We have some top-notch staff working for the city, and guys like Cory and Jeff are very passionate about Kitchener, and this isn't just 'a job' for them, like it is for some other staff.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »