Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed
There has been a new website dedicated to opposition to the project started: https://livableparkandvictoria.com

These people are so out of touch. What currently exists on this block? A strip mall with a cheap printing shop, an ugly old unleased building, a garage, a few run down century old post-war single family homes (a dime a dozen in this province), some surface parking and even more dilatated garages. A brand new condo project would immediately raise the social, economic and property values of this area which would greatly improve the neighbourhood for current residents. It would become a grand focal point for the people who live here, bringing lots of new neighbours to meet, new shops, new restaurants etc. A place to hang out with old and new friends and enjoy the benefits of having some new city life in the area.

Really...all I have to say to these people at this point is: you live downtown in the 9th largest urban metropolitan region in Canada which is also the fastest growing. If you want your extra white picket fence, quiet single family home neighbourhoods...just move already.

I find Waterloo Region one of the most frustrating places to work as an architect. In real big cities, projects usually don't have to jump through all these hoops and over hurdles. Things just happen. But here, it's like living in a small town where a dozen bored boomers rally together and stall projects over and over and over again for the most ridiculous, out of touch reasons. It's a Sisyphean task to get things done here, whether it's about something extremely petty like temporary bike lanes which enraged thousands of people or new condo projects.
With the added irony that those very barriers and drags in the process are at least in part why no one would bother spending the time to build anything that isn't maximizing returns for the time value spent being able to build it. Claim you want less density but you can't even get a duplex approved or an otherwise forgettable mid-rise building in some of these neighbourhoods.
(01-27-2022, 08:21 PM)ac3r Wrote: a few run down century old post-war single family homes (a dime a dozen in this province),

I agree with most of what you said, but post-war homes that are a century old are as rare as a hen's tooth on a goose.
(01-27-2022, 08:48 PM)jwilliamson Wrote:
(01-27-2022, 08:21 PM)ac3r Wrote: a few run down century old post-war single family homes (a dime a dozen in this province),

I agree with most of what you said, but post-war homes that are a century old are as rare as a hen's tooth on a goose.

Depends on which war they’re post Smile
These nimby types are so full of shit. Where was the VPNA when they bulldozed those houses beside the schneider haus to plant a shitty vegetable garden and build a generic picket fence? I emailed the planner and Debbie Chapman in support of the project.
(01-29-2022, 08:22 AM)clasher Wrote: These nimby types are so full of shit. Where was the VPNA when they bulldozed those houses beside the schneider haus to plant a shitty vegetable garden and build a generic picket fence?

If it benefits them, they're fine with destroying homes with heritage value. If they don't see a value to them, then their against it, 100% of the time.

Friendly reminder that tonight is the scheduled neighbourhood meeting for this project. I hope that some of the loudest nimby voices burned themselves out in that Belmont Village session, but I’m likely overly optimistic. 

https://calendar.kitchener.ca/default/De...nt-146-162
This development would never work. I drive down Victoria on my way to Food Basics.
(02-08-2022, 04:18 PM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: This development would never work. I drive down Victoria on my way to Food Basics.

Not too convincing there, bud.
(02-08-2022, 03:42 PM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote: Friendly reminder that tonight is the scheduled neighbourhood meeting for this project. I hope that some of the loudest nimby voices burned themselves out in that Belmont Village session, but I’m likely overly optimistic. 

That part of Park Street under the rail is known to flood. The kids from this condo will go swimming there, and a child will be eaten by a rogue shark.

DON'T BUILD IT!
(02-08-2022, 07:14 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-08-2022, 03:42 PM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote: Friendly reminder that tonight is the scheduled neighbourhood meeting for this project. I hope that some of the loudest nimby voices burned themselves out in that Belmont Village session, but I’m likely overly optimistic. 

That part of Park Street under the rail is known to flood. The kids from this condo will go swimming there, and a child will be eaten by a rogue shark.

DON'T BUILD IT!

Interesting strategy. Instead of showing up in support of development, show up with the most ridiculous NIMBY exaggerations you can dream up.
(01-26-2022, 04:57 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Community meeting Feb 8th

They're still taking feedback via email, if you haven't email Eric.Schneider@Kitchener.ca yet, consider doing so.

I wouldn’t say there were too many nimbys at the meeting as expected. Just the regular questions, zoning, traffic, affordability etc. I suspect they all submitted their comments and links to there opposition website before hand. The developers had good answers to the questions, and lots of comments on the quality and design
(02-08-2022, 10:02 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: I wouldn’t say there were too many nimbys at the meeting as expected. Just the regular questions, zoning, traffic, affordability etc. I suspect they all submitted their comments and links to there opposition website before hand.  The developers had good answers to the questions, and lots of comments on the quality and design

I suspect their intention is to just go to council.

A community meeting like this is part of a good faith discussion, which the most...irrational nimbys are not interested in, they know the people they need to convince to kill something are not the developers.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »