Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Errors when quoting
I'm unable to quote. User error a high possibility.

I'm on OS X 10.12 (Sierra), using Chrome 49.0.3071.115 (the current build).

When I click the "quote" button at the bottom of a quote, I see this in my console

general.js?ver=1800:531

Uncaught ReferenceError: cookieSecureFlag is not defined
   at Object.set (general.js?ver=1800:531)
   at Object.multiQuote (thread.js?ver=1800:82)
   at <anonymous>:1:8

and then when I click the "Quote these posts now" link in the reply textarea, I see the following error:

VM1082:1

Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected end of JSON input
   at JSON.parse (<anonymous>)
   at Function.m.parseJSON (jquery.js?ver=1800:5)
   at Object.multiQuotedLoaded (thread.js?ver=1800:116)
   at Object.complete (thread.js?ver=1800:99)
   at j (jquery.js?ver=1800:2)
   at Object.fireWith (jquery.js?ver=1800:2)
   at x (jquery.js?ver=1800:5)
   at XMLHttpRequest.b (jquery.js?ver=1800:5)

Any suggestions for different ways to quote posts or things to try are very much appreciated.

Quoting has always been buggy for me, too - and had never worked on mobile.
I've never had it work for me either, but if I hit reply it'll get the post I wanna quote.
I never use the quote button. But trying it now, I don't even know what the difference is, the behaviour seems the same either way.

To the original poster: if it doesn't work with just reply, can you try with Safari or Firefox?
I think the intended behaviour is that when you toggle the quote button on a number of posts, when you finally hit a quote-reply button, it will open a reply with all of the posts you had toggled showing up as quotes in the reply. This is useful to avoid situations where one person replies several times in a row to different posts in the same thread; instead, they simply toggle the posts they wish to reply to, and then respond to them all in a single post.
Firefox fails as well.
Quoting does not work on my Blackberry (yes, you heard me), but when I switch it to "desktop mode" then it works fine.

(08-05-2017, 08:09 PM)jamincan Wrote: I think the intended behaviour is that when you toggle the quote button on a number of posts, when you finally hit a quote-reply button, it will open a reply with all of the posts you had toggled showing up as quotes in the reply. This is useful to avoid situations where one person replies several times in a row to different posts in the same thread; instead, they simply toggle the posts they wish to reply to, and then respond to them all in a single post.

It's the multi-quote! But it doesn't seem to do anything for me anyway.  (This is on Firefox.)
For the record, it doesn't work for me in Chrome either, I'm just guessing that that is the intended behaviour.
I think the quote feature is intended for quoting multiple posts. I should just remove it to be honest with you, it's buggy.

Use the reply button. Does that work for everyone?
If it doesn't work it might not be a bad idea.

What I usually do: I ⌘-click the "Reply" button below each post that I want to multi-quote... then scroll to the bottom of the original page, then flip to each new tab, Copy/Paste that text back into the original reply. Sounds tedious but I can fly through it really quick and it works well.

I really wish it worked on Mobile, though - I'm a heavy mobile user of this forum and if I want to quote I have to switch to the Desktop version, grab the code, and try to wrestle with it that way.
Mobile is a weakness in myBB. You need to use a third party plugin, which works, but is very simple.

I was sold on myBB when the site first launched, but down the road a change could be in order.
Migration is always painful though ...

(08-05-2017, 10:39 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Migration is always painful though ...

And there it is.  I really don't want to have to do that.
(08-05-2017, 10:53 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(08-05-2017, 10:39 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Migration is always painful though ...

And there it is.  I really don't want to have to do that.

Maybe some day MyBB 2.0 will be released, with mobile support ...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »