Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Victoria Commons
(09-27-2016, 04:55 PM)KitWat Wrote: I have occupied a condo in phase 1 after years and years of delays and there are still a lot of incomplete items in the condo building. I heard there is a lot of commercial interest from big brands and local shops but who knows when Phase 3 will actually be built. The piazza was suppose to be done for Phase 1 for the townhouse and phase 1 condo owners but I think plans have changed anyone know anything?

phase 3, 4 and 5 dont even have site plan approval...phase 1 and 2 are 100 perecent residential and the 3 4 and 5 phases/buildings were suppose to have commercial but they have no approvals and may never be built....

Photo update Nov 20th, phase II building receiving brick. Townhomes are complete, exterior common areas and roads getting finished off. Nothing has progressed on the green space anywhere on site including the public park. Still looks the same today as when photos were posted here back in September.

Attached Files Image(s)

Some photos of the finished condos and town homes on St. Leger. They have also paved the path out to Louisa from inside the development.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for the pictures, I just biked through there on the weekend, and was thinking this needed an update.

The "Grand Common" is still a long way away. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that it will be the last item completed, after the remaining condo buildings.

Some notes:
*) There is no exit from the neighbourhood to the northwest. No pedestrian paths out to Blucher or Margaret. This will need to be fixed. I'm sure a muddy track will appear in short order, but they really need formalized access to the #8 bus.
*) The interior roads are shockingly uninviting. The ground level is largely just garage doors and front doors, with nothing else. Many units don't really have a yard to speak of at all. (though I suppose they have back yards that don't front on roads)
*) It feels very dense, which makes the absence of any commercial in the development even more conspicuous. There are a lot of people here who need sundries and could use a community gathering spot, and none exists. Hopefully with the delay in starting the remaining 3 apartment-style buildings, this will be able to change.
(08-08-2017, 01:13 PM)Markster Wrote: Thanks for the pictures, I just biked through there on the weekend, and was thinking this needed an update.

The "Grand Common" is still a long way away.  I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that it will be the last item completed, after the remaining condo buildings.

Some notes:
*) There is no exit from the neighbourhood to the northwest.  No pedestrian paths out to Blucher or Margaret.  This will need to be fixed.  I'm sure a muddy track will appear in short order, but they really need formalized access to the #8 bus.
*) The interior roads are shockingly uninviting.  The ground level is largely just garage doors and front doors, with nothing else.  Many units don't really have a yard to speak of at all.  (though I suppose they have back yards that don't front on roads)
*) It feels very dense, which makes the absence of any commercial in the development even more conspicuous.  There are a lot of people here who need sundries and could use a community gathering spot, and none exists.  Hopefully with the delay in starting the remaining 3 apartment-style buildings, this will be able to change.

Iirc, they tried and failed to work out an access arrangement with the New Apostolic Church.
(08-08-2017, 01:27 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Iirc, they tried and failed to work out an access arrangement with the New Apostolic Church.

Yes, there was an initial idea to have driveway access to Margaret, but that fell through.
Even then, the real pedestrian path that is missing would be through the property of the apartment tower at the north west. Going through the church property would not be on-the-way for most people living in the townhomes along the north part.
If there is no fence there (is there?) I could imagine people "informally" getting to Margaret along the north edge of the apartment tower's property. I'm assuming some of that land belongs to the apartment rather than to the neighbouring house. I have no idea, however, whether the apartment's management would put up with that.

(08-08-2017, 01:39 PM)panamaniac Wrote: If there is no fence there (is there?) I could imagine people "informally" getting to Margaret along the north edge of the apartment tower's property.  

No fence at the apartment building, hence my comment "I'm sure a muddy track will appear in short order"

Quote:I'm assuming some of that land belongs to the apartment rather than to the neighbouring house.  I have no idea, however, whether the apartment's management would put up with that.

And "but they really need formalized access [to Margaret]"
(08-08-2017, 01:31 PM)Markster Wrote:
(08-08-2017, 01:27 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Iirc, they tried and failed to work out an access arrangement with the New Apostolic Church.

Yes, there was an initial idea to have driveway access to Margaret, but that fell through.
Even then, the real pedestrian path that is missing would be through the property of the apartment tower at the north west.  Going through the church property would not be on-the-way for most people living in the townhomes along the north part.

I think it was originally marketed as “1 Adam St.” and possibly even what is now Victoria Marie Ct. would simply have been called Adam St.

I’m confused by the northwest corner access — the property had a driveway out to Blucher St. Did they really not pave it as a pedestrian access path? If not that’s just ridiculous and irresponsible.
(08-08-2017, 03:31 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I’m confused by the northwest corner access — the property had a driveway out to Blucher St. Did they really not pave it as a pedestrian access path? If not that’s just ridiculous and irresponsible.

Agreed, surely the plan is to add a path between 173 and 179 Blucher St.?

(08-08-2017, 03:42 PM)highlander Wrote:
(08-08-2017, 03:31 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I’m confused by the northwest corner access — the property had a driveway out to Blucher St. Did they really not pave it as a pedestrian access path? If not that’s just ridiculous and irresponsible.

Agreed, surely the plan is to add a path between 173 and 179 Blucher St.?

Yes, the plan is to add a pedestrian path here. The site lighting is already installed to light the path in fact. When it will be completed is anyone's guess. The pace of construction here has been painfully slow.
Ah, I knew about the plan for a path, but on the ground, there was no sign of anything there. Just a hard curb, and brush that seemed to just be a side yard or something. And checking their website, the site plans don't show a path particularly clearly, so I wasn't sure if it was still the plan.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »