Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Garment Street Condos | 25 & 6 fl | U/C
A sleep clinic? That has got to be the polar opposite of what I envisioned coming in to this space! Ha

(08-28-2020, 10:56 AM)taylortbb Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 09:48 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Rapid progress indeed. Any retail or anything take up the ground floor space at One Hundred Condos yet?

There's renovations underway for a sleep clinic. I think the pedestrian traffic doesn't quite justify an actual retailer.

Seriously, this is still a good thing. We want "destinations" in DTK: a sleep clinic is an example of that, a specialized facility that people will come to DTK for, even if it's only a relatively small number of people.
(08-28-2020, 12:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 10:56 AM)taylortbb Wrote: There's renovations underway for a sleep clinic. I think the pedestrian traffic doesn't quite justify an actual retailer.

Seriously, this is still a good thing. We want "destinations" in DTK: a sleep clinic is an example of that, a specialized facility that people will come to DTK for, even if it's only a relatively small number of people.

I had had the same reaction.  It will fill a gap in DTK (in K-W, actually) and it is a type of “destination”.  Whether it’s the best use of street level commercial space, I’m less sure, although these places have reception areas and sometimes sell equipment, so I couldn’t say it’s not appropriate.
(08-28-2020, 12:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 10:56 AM)taylortbb Wrote: There's renovations underway for a sleep clinic. I think the pedestrian traffic doesn't quite justify an actual retailer.

I think having services like that in DTK is absolutely good, I just think it's an unfortunate use of ground floor space. As it is a specific destination, one doesn't wander in to a sleep clinic while passing by, it could easily be on the second floor.

I think it's sort of like when people bemoan the frontage that banks take up on King St. It's not that banks in DTK aren't an essential service, it's just that they don't really need more street presence than a door.

A sleep clinic, or a bank, is certainly much better than a vacant unit. But unless they focus on landing some landmark tenants it won't be DTK's version of the Bauer buildings.
Exactly ^ ... well put
(08-28-2020, 11:53 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 12:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Seriously, this is still a good thing. We want "destinations" in DTK: a sleep clinic is an example of that, a specialized facility that people will come to DTK for, even if it's only a relatively small number of people.

I think having services like that in DTK is absolutely good, I just think it's an unfortunate use of ground floor space. As it is a specific destination, one doesn't wander in to a sleep clinic while passing by, it could easily be on the second floor.

I think it's sort of like when people bemoan the frontage that banks take up on King St. It's not that banks in DTK aren't an essential service, it's just that they don't really need more street presence than a door.

A sleep clinic, or a bank, is certainly much better than a vacant unit. But unless they focus on landing some landmark tenants it won't be DTK's version of the Bauer buildings.

While I generally agree with this (because I like exciting shops!), I don't feel that was ever realistic in the short term. Going back to the point I was making earlier in this thread, Victoria is such an unpleasant street to walk on. I specifically go out of my way to avoid it, and judging from pedestrian traffic I see there, others feel the same way. In my mind, this makes it a location for people to drive to (unless the business is directly serving the condo folks, like a convenience store), and thus not really part of DTK.

I especially feel this way because there are much more walkable, core storefronts in DTK that are sitting empty. This combination of being mildly inconvenient for both drivers (why not just go to a suburban strip mall instead of "downtown"?) and pedestrians (why not walk somewhere more pleasant?) means that it has to be something that people need like a sleep clinic or a bank.
(08-28-2020, 11:53 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 12:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Seriously, this is still a good thing. We want "destinations" in DTK: a sleep clinic is an example of that, a specialized facility that people will come to DTK for, even if it's only a relatively small number of people.

I had always hoped that Carbon Computing would have made a comeback into DTK. That place used to be busy back before the Apple Store opened in Conestoga Mall. Some of the guys that I knew that worked at CC left their job to move over to Apple.

A sleep clinic is as boring as it gets, though one could hope that patients might actually go out with friends before heading to the clinic at night and then grab breakfast locally in the morning. (I've been to a sleep clinic twice, and so I know the routine). I am guessing between patients, and staff at the clinic, you might have 20 or 30 restless souls.

However, on another positive note, this clinic IS close to Communitech, so they might have more advanced options for patients, and I could see this turning into something much larger than first appearance. In a very good way. While I might only be dreaming here (ha ha...sorry. that wasn't meant to be punny), this could really end up putting us on the map. Or maybe I have been listening to too much REM. Kenneth had said it had something to do with our brains frequency.

Sorry.

Anyway, though, I was serious about this becoming larger than life. But perhaps this is just another boring garden variety sleep clinic.

(08-29-2020, 01:31 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 11:53 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I think having services like that in DTK is absolutely good, I just think it's an unfortunate use of ground floor space. As it is a specific destination, one doesn't wander in to a sleep clinic while passing by, it could easily be on the second floor.

A sleep clinic is as boring as it gets, though one could hope that patients might actually go out with friends before heading to the clinic at night and then grab breakfast locally in the morning. (I've been to a sleep clinic twice, and so I know the routine). I am guessing between patients, and staff at the clinic, you might have 20 or 30 restless souls.

However, on another positive note, this clinic IS close to Communitech, so they might have more advanced options for patients, and I could see this turning into something much larger than first appearance. In a very good way. While I might only be dreaming here (ha ha...sorry. that wasn't meant to be punny), this could really end up putting us on the map. Or maybe I have been listening to too much REM. Kenneth had said it had something to do with our brains frequency.

Sorry.

Anyway, though, I was serious about this becoming larger than life. But perhaps this is just another boring garden variety sleep clinic.

That would be very large - half that (per night) would be more likely.
(08-29-2020, 01:22 AM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 11:53 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I think having services like that in DTK is absolutely good, I just think it's an unfortunate use of ground floor space. As it is a specific destination, one doesn't wander in to a sleep clinic while passing by, it could easily be on the second floor.

While I generally agree with this (because I like exciting shops!), I don't feel that was ever realistic in the short term. Going back to the point I was making earlier in this thread, Victoria is such an unpleasant street to walk on. I specifically go out of my way to avoid it, and judging from pedestrian traffic I see there, others feel the same way. In my mind, this makes it a location for people to drive to (unless the business is directly serving the condo folks, like a convenience store), and thus not really part of DTK.

I especially feel this way because there are much more walkable, core storefronts in DTK that are sitting empty. This combination of being mildly inconvenient for both drivers (why not just go to a suburban strip mall instead of "downtown"?) and pedestrians (why not walk somewhere more pleasant?) means that it has to be something that people need like a sleep clinic or a bank.

Generally agreed that Victoria is not the mostly pleasant place to walk, but for what its worth, the addition of the 100 Vic street front (and eventual Glove Box frontage) has made that part much nicer and wider. Just need a few more re-developments to make the sidewalk a bit less unpleasant (and ideally Kitchener to start doing city clearing of the sidewalks in the core, because that is the worst time of year on that street with a patchwork of people actually clearing or not).
It would be great to see Victoria St urbanized from say Margaret to Strange.

Big wide sidewalk, bike lane either direction, one lane of traffic each way with turning lanes.
You would hope there are talks or plans penciled in place for Victoria - at least up to Park street, given the development going out that way. I like the idea of more walkable side walks, a bike lane, more streetscape 'symbols' - lighting on each side that makes it feel like an extension of the DTK core.... things of that nature.
Garment Tower Crane is being raised today.
Precast podium panels being installed the past couple of days as well

Pretty sure I saw signage up for a pharmacy on the Macintosh building. Only caught a glimpse while passing by though.
That would make for a good “storefront”.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »