Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6VIC (600 Victoria St S) | 3 fl | Proposed
(02-16-2021, 11:19 PM)Chris Wrote: I don't think they are any different from fast food ads or food packing with professional photography of non-edible product that is not representative of what you are buying or car ads that show optional accessories or concept photos for product representation.

^ THIS.  EXACTLY THIS.

Misleading advertising is prevalent everywhere.... If a frozen turkey covered in shellac (for that perfect browning) or cold coffee with soap foam on top (the perfect brew) doesn't count as "false advertising", a computer generated concept stands no chance.

While I don't disagree with the thought behind the argument, if someone relies ONLY on a salespersons advertising materials and does no further research that's on them... and they will be in for a surprise no matter where they buy.

Coke

(02-17-2021, 09:33 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 11:19 PM)Chris Wrote: I don't think they are any different from fast food ads or food packing with professional photography of non-edible product that is not representative of what you are buying or car ads that show optional accessories or concept photos for product representation.

^ THIS.  EXACTLY THIS.

Misleading advertising is prevalent everywhere.... If a frozen turkey covered in shellac (for that perfect browning) or cold coffee with soap foam on top (the perfect brew) doesn't count as "false advertising", a computer generated concept stands no chance.

While I don't disagree with the thought behind the argument, if someone relies ONLY on a salespersons advertising materials and does no further research that's on them... and they will be in for a surprise no matter where they buy.

Coke

This video is tangentally related, and very interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-x8DYTO...l=TomScott

Advertising I think is one of the biggest overlooked issues of our time. It has far more influence on people than they believe.

But I think the problems we are talking about here aren't that big in comparison...it's more a question of systemic influence.
(02-17-2021, 09:33 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:

^ THIS.  EXACTLY THIS.

Coke

I think we are all on the same page. I'm aware this is normal, generally considered acceptable, and not illegal. Perhaps "misleading" is a better choice than "false". For the record, I think using car ads as the bar for acceptable is a very poor idea, but I also absolutely despise the current state of advertising.

Regardless, I think this development is a good thing. Hopefully the new residents can become advocates for positive change along Victoria.

Thanks for the link Tom. I'm sure it doesn't apply here, but it looks worthwhile to become better informed.
Interestingly, these are 24 stacked two-story units. I'm not familiar with the layout of the site, but from the plans, it appears as if the lower units all have what would ordinarily amount to basement sleeping areas (located on the "lower level" vs. the main living space which is on the "ground level")

At 1000 to 1200 square feet per unit, they are roughly comparable in floor area to the post WWII 1.5 story "Victory" houses if you exclude the basements.
The Demolition of the houses is almost finished.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »