Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
635 Erb & 12 Westhill | Mixed Medium Density | 40m | Proposed
635 Erb Street & 12 Westhill Drive, Waterloo
Developer: Bel Communities Limited
Project Proposed: Mixed medium density with two medium rise towers up to 40 meters and three blocks of townhouses
Zoning Change Application

[Image: s5iooz.jpg]
[Image: 33jiq37.jpg]
[Image: 2lnkeax.jpg]

Suburbia meet the University District.
Looks a bit like the Trio on Belmont.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Local backlash for proposed 13 story residential building

http://www.570news.com/2018/01/30/local-...-building/

A Waterloo resident living nearby a planned development of two apartment buildings says 13-storeys is too much for the area.

Nadia Mazzarolo says the developer and the city need to consider a couple things when it comes to building two apartment buildings near Erb West and Westhill Drive.

“13 stories would make those buildings the tallest ones in that entire plot of land and right in footsteps of a residential neighborhood.”

She says the buildings would cast shadows on a number of homes nearby.

Another problem, she says is the impact on traffic, something Waterloo city councilor Bob Mavin chimed in on.

He says this will only add traffic to the portion of Ira Needles that’s already pretty busy.

” There’s probably going to be 449 bedrooms in this complex and 400 to 500 vehicles.”

No decisions have been made. Mavin wants to get all parties together to make sure all issues are addressed before it goes to council.
Seems like a great place- we've got the 202 a very brief walk away, a grocery store, other retail and commercial. These hypothetical residents will be generating less traffic here than at many other places they might one day otherwise live.

Edit to add: I wish the councillor would ask the staff we pay for the facts instead of just figuring that Ira Needles is "pretty busy." It's not that busy. It carries well under 20,000 vehicles a day in that area. It has excess capacity. We're paying for it; we should make the most of it.
Yeah, that seems like exactly the location where you want to be putting some higher-density residential. 13-stories is hardly extreme. Does anyone know the exactly location? It seems to me like shadows would only really be an issue potentially in the late evening?
How is the game played in Waterloo? Does a developer propose a 13 storey building because that's what he wants, or is it proposed so that the "compromise" of 8 or 10 or whatever storeys gives him what he really wants?

(01-31-2018, 08:51 AM)jamincan Wrote: Yeah, that seems like exactly the location where you want to be putting some higher-density residential. 13-stories is hardly extreme. Does anyone know the exactly location? It seems to me like shadows would only really be an issue potentially in the late evening?

It is in fact a regional density node.

And it probably doesn't matter what height.  NIMBYs gonna NIMBY.
(01-31-2018, 08:51 AM)jamincan Wrote: Yeah, that seems like exactly the location where you want to be putting some higher-density residential. 13-stories is hardly extreme. Does anyone know the exactly location? It seems to me like shadows would only really be an issue potentially in the late evening?

Erb just east of Westhill. At forty metres, it could shade some of the buildings on the other side of Erb part of the day, if it were close to the street (it should be, but something tells me it unfortunately won't be). Otherwise, you're right that shadows would only maybe be an issue for those few houses on Westcroft, and probably only in winter.

That looks like a big site, I doubt the shading would be bad. There will be an analysis, though, right?
(01-31-2018, 11:20 AM)MidTowner Wrote:

Erb just east of Westhill. At forty metres, it could shade some of the buildings on the other side of Erb part of the day, if it were close to the street (it should be, but something tells me it unfortunately won't be). Otherwise, you're right that shadows would only maybe be an issue for those few houses on Westcroft, and probably only in winter.

That looks like a big site, I doubt the shading would be bad. There will be an analysis, though, right?

http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...p?tid=1127
Another article that discusses local residents dislike of the proposed development and an adjacent Tim Horton's.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/814...oundabout/
BANANAs = build absolutely nothing anywhere near anything
The zoning for this project has been approved.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnew...47011.html

(08-15-2019, 05:44 AM)rangersfan Wrote: The zoning for this project has been approved.

This is good news, in my opinion. The whole west end of both KW are growing fast, but it's needed rather than just building out.
(08-15-2019, 05:44 AM)rangersfan Wrote: The zoning for this project has been approved.

LPAT appeal incoming?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »