Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Boathouse
(10-31-2019, 06:48 PM)KevinL Wrote: Scuttlebutt on Reddit is that the tenants were happy with more casual activity to have quieter nights for patio patrons, but the city insisted on (loud) musical bookings that brought in a different crowd.

So perhaps you'd think, if this were true, why not limit the loud nights from October 1 to May 1, when we're not really into patio season? It makes me wonder if it was the tenant that was happier with quiet nights or his customers?

(10-31-2019, 06:48 PM)KevinL Wrote: Scuttlebutt on Reddit is that the tenants were happy with more casual activity to have quieter nights for patio patrons, but the city insisted on (loud) musical bookings that brought in a different crowd.

Why would the city have a say in what entertainment bookings are made?
Apparently there's a proviso of some kind in the lease agreement. The discussion itself is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comme...es_future/
The Boathouse renovations would include new washroom, patio extending over lake
(10-26-2022, 06:49 PM)KevinL Wrote: The Boathouse renovations would include new washroom, patio extending over lake

The extended patio sounds like a terrific idea.
Why is the heritage committee so worried about this building? Just because it's old? It's nothing special. If this thing looked exactly as it does now in 100 years it still won't be special. I don't get the love of this boat garage. I'm all for the heritage committee but this doesn't seem like this one is worth the attention to me. What am I missing that makes this special?
(10-27-2022, 09:40 AM)Chris Wrote: Why is the heritage committee so worried about this building? Just because it's old? It's nothing special. If this thing looked exactly as it does now in 100 years it still won't be special. I don't get the love of this boat garage. I'm all for the heritage committee but this doesn't seem like this one is worth the attention to me. What am I missing that makes this special?

Because it's the heritage committee. Their function is to oppose anything and everything.

(10-27-2022, 09:40 AM)Chris Wrote: Why is the heritage committee so worried about this building? Just because it's old? It's nothing special. If this thing looked exactly as it does now in 100 years it still won't be special. I don't get the love of this boat garage. I'm all for the heritage committee but this doesn't seem like this one is worth the attention to me. What am I missing that makes this special?

Cultural life of Kitchener?  Longstanding element of historic parkscape?
But is it unique and worthy of protection, or is it just a rather normal brick boathouse that we could re-build tomorrow if necessary?
local cambridge weirdo
This!

Here's a challenge, if you don't already know, which of these is the kitschy copy of a historic train station and which one is the actual Waterloo train station?

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4642778,...384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4642686,...312!8i6656

I mean, you can probably tell, but it'll be based on the materials and not because one looks wrong.
The Puncher of Paul is the real train station!
(10-27-2022, 11:02 AM)bravado Wrote: But is it unique and worthy of protection, or is it just a rather normal brick boathouse that we could re-build tomorrow if necessary?

Well, that's why the Heritage Committee is called on to have a look, no?  Although "heritage" is more than just the physical structure, as I understand it.
(10-27-2022, 11:33 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: This!

Here's a challenge, if you don't already know, which of these is the kitschy copy of a historic train station and which one is the actual Waterloo train station?

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4642778,...384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4642686,...312!8i6656

I mean, you can probably tell, but it'll be based on the materials and not because one looks wrong.

Relevance?

CTV has renders of the proposal online, if anyone cares to post them. The added washroom is probably essential, but looks like the weak bit of the proposal in terms of appearance.
(10-27-2022, 06:03 PM)panamaniac Wrote: CTV has renders of the proposal online, if anyone cares to post them.  The added washroom is probably essential, but looks like the weak bit of the proposal in terms of appearance.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »