Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Isabella Residences | 11 fl | Proposed
I am also excited, it has potential to be a great spot. I drove past and boy is it a tiny space. I think it's awesome that KW is getting to the point where a tiny piece of land like this is worth developing, despite how difficult and relatively expensive it is (compared to building in a blank wide open site).

I think the small plots could also provide some opportunities for some really interesting building designs too.
Demolition permit request is going forward to Council on Monday.
Also a part of the request is an updated rendering! 

[Image: LVJrpR4.jpg]
(01-10-2020, 12:49 PM)Watdot Wrote: Demolition permit request is going forward to Council on Monday.

No way... that is actually hideous. The previous version was way better!
(01-10-2020, 01:03 PM)urbd Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 12:49 PM)Watdot Wrote: Demolition permit request is going forward to Council on Monday.

This is in no way hideous by waterloo standards. I will I agree I preferred the previous proposal, but this is still a nice addition to uptown. As long as they use high end exterior material. Please no EIFS!!! this could add a nice contrast to the more modern curtain wall building that have been built/ are proposed in the area.
(01-10-2020, 01:03 PM)urbd Wrote:

If they use the right materials I think this will be fantastic. I love older style architecture and wish we saw more modern day buildings that still emulated it. It will add nice diversity and could become a key part of downtown. 

I think this is a massive improvement over the original rendering
I really like it

I think it could end up looking like 133 Park more than likely.
(01-10-2020, 01:03 PM),urbd Wrote:

Glad it’s not just me.  That said, it may be the epitome of Waterloo (the city, not the Region).
This is a significant step back from the original proposal
I Don't find it as horrendous as some of the other posters here. Personally I would love to see both versions of these proposals built in uptown haha. But for the most part I trust Edge architects to spec high end exterior finishes and this will be a nice looking building. Personally I think they are one of the best architecture firms in the region in terms of quality. I will note that it appears to have shrunk 1 floor. I count 10 floors now, i could be wrong though.
This looks gorgeous IMO. With the higher end rentals across the street, I suppose they beleive it fits!
As long as quality materials are used, it has my vote. Will be a significant renovation and improvement to the small building on the right, which currently exists as 'meh'. The new update works it even more into the new building design now.

Everything about it seems “faux”. New money expressing itself in an utterly conventional way. I.e., Waterloo ...
(01-11-2020, 12:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Everything about it seems “faux”.  New money expressing itself in an utterly conventional way.  I.e., Waterloo ...

“Faux?”  I suppose anything outside a cave is faux.  

I love the way it looks.  It would fit in perfectly with the upscale apartments along Sherbrooke Street in Montreal.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »