Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Bright Building (749 King St W) | 18 + 3 fl | U/C
Will they need to raise the crane? I walked by there today and it doesn't look like there is enough space for 18 floors with where the crane is positioned now.

This one feels fast. Or maybe just fast compared to some others.
(08-02-2022, 10:39 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: Will they need to raise the crane? I walked by there today and it doesn't look like there is enough space for 18 floors with where the crane is positioned now.

It will be raised. They already added the hardware required for raising it.
New month, new picture. I know some people here aren't fans, but I like this one! 4 more floors to go

[Image: LSQzwUp.png]
I like it
I think they picked a good window/ window wall supplier. Reminds me of Circa 1877, which I was a fan of, but I know a lot of people on this forum hated. This one will look sharp once they paint the concrete. The one issue I have is how close it feels to the road the. It would have been nice have enough room to plant trees in-between the road and the building. That stretch of King is pretty baron of greener
I've definitely come around on this one too. I'm a fan.

I don't like the rectangular massing, but since MSS designed this I think it'll be okay. Their work is usually good.
Photo from a week ago (sorry for the random location), but this looks topped out I think.

Side note, I never realized how visible the Station Park podium was from this location.

[Image: XyAY3v3.jpg]
Definitely topped out. I just noticed it today and was about to post an update.
Looked like the crane was coming down on this today
I drove buy this one today and took a good look. I have to say I think it looks ok...
(07-31-2023, 11:47 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I drove buy this one today and took a good look. I have to say I think it looks ok...

I agree.

The massing is the only thing I don't like about it. Those huge rectangular buildings feel so imposing when you're on the ground. Otherwise it seems to be an alright project. I hope the commercial gets leased quickly though, so it can maybe draw more people out to this area. Sadly I find this part of King so awful to walk down so the retail isn't going to really activate the street in any manner. It's all barren concrete and very little people out (the KCI kids on lunch break don't really count) because there's not much around there.

Also it's so ugly which doesn't help. At the very least it's a shame the LRT didn't have grass here. It would feel much more comfortable to walk around if there was some greenery rather than this chasm of various aggregates and metal, couple old houses and ugly old single floor commercial buildings. But there is soooooo much space around this "midtown" area, so I think in 30-40 years it'll be a lot more vibrant. Hopefully this, 900 King, the old Club Abstract area and whatever may go up where the CKCO property is is the start of something new for this place.

Pic related. Everything within the red is wasted space that could be nicely evolved over time.

[Image: Md7tUYo.png]
Are people moving in yet?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »