Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Woodside Terraces | 6 fl | U/C
There's a house on my street that houses 6 cars outside (4 driveway and 2 on yard converted to river rock a few years back) and they have a double garage.

Why are people mentioning cars and garages in the same sentence? Everybody knows that the modern garage is used to store "stuff". Wink
(09-10-2018, 11:21 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Or ban people who have space for two vehicles (garage+driveway). I remember a Cambridge household in the paper that was expecting the city to accommodate their 5 cars, without requiring them to even use their garage.

It shouldn’t matter what the house has as part of its property. It should be a matter of what is the policy for the street? Do houses have car storage on the street or not, and how much? Otherwise you create perverse incentives — if having a garage means you lose your street parking spot, then people are discouraged from building their own car storage. A variation on this could be OK: if you have a driveway, the curb space it replaces counts as “your” parking spot and you cannot park on the street (essentially, you are always using a parking spot). But whether or not there is a garage and how many cars can be parked on the driveway is irrelevant.

When a new subdivision is designed, the streets should either be narrow (no parking) or wide with parking, with a specific policy (e.g., each house is entitled to a parking spot). How wide the street is should be based in part upon whether or not there is parking. Ideally, there would not be constant tweaking of whether or not parking is allowed on an existing street. Development should not be required to include any particular amount of parking; but street parking shouldn’t be thought of as free. Having street parking means more pavement, a wider road, more maintenance, and higher construction costs.
The building looks quite good now. No sign yet of starting phase 2, and I expect it will be next year at the earliest, given how many projects Vive has on the go.

Vive seems to have a lot plans to build and renovate but I’ve only seen them on this project and the small apartment at 48 Weber.  Are most of their projects on hold or are they struggling with finances?  Some other issues perhaps?
(04-23-2019, 02:41 PM)jgsz Wrote: Vive seems to have a lot plans to build and renovate but I’ve only seen them on this project and the small apartment at 48 Weber.  Are most of their projects on hold or are they struggling with finances?  Some other issues perhaps?

Demolition has now started on Market Flats, and 64 Margaret should be close behind. OTIS has a building permit. 242-262 Queen St has been approved by council.

Threads for all four of those can be found on WRC. Smile
Any word on what they did to the interior of the units?

They redid the layouts; the units are smaller than before, given the demand for one- and two-bedroom units. The interiors fully gutted and refinished. You can see interior photos on the web site:
http://woodsideterraces.ca/
(04-25-2019, 02:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote: They redid the layouts; the units are smaller than before, given the demand for one- and two-bedroom units. The interiors fully gutted and refinished. You can see interior photos on the web site:

Do we know how real this 1-2 bedroom tiny unit demand is?

I know myself, as well a another friend, struggled to find units of the size we wanted, they still do, as they are looking for a 3 bedroom.

I think there are market reasons for developers to prefer smaller units, that might override actual demand.

Anyone know of actual studies?
(04-26-2019, 07:51 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(04-25-2019, 02:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote: They redid the layouts; the units are smaller than before, given the demand for one- and two-bedroom units. The interiors fully gutted and refinished. You can see interior photos on the web site:

I know myself, as well a another friend, struggled to find units of the size we wanted, they still do, as they are looking for a 3 bedroom.

I think there are market reasons for developers to prefer smaller units, that might override actual demand.

I'm thinking it's developer-side demand for profits and not actual market demand. Certainly the 3br places where I live tend to sell quickly.
(04-26-2019, 10:09 AM)plam Wrote: I'm thinking it's developer-side demand for profits and not actual market demand. Certainly the 3br places where I live tend to sell quickly.

How do you think developers can make money by building stuff people don’t want? That’s what it sounds like you are saying is happening.
(04-26-2019, 12:40 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 10:09 AM)plam Wrote: I'm thinking it's developer-side demand for profits and not actual market demand. Certainly the 3br places where I live tend to sell quickly.

How do you think developers can make money by building stuff people don’t want? That’s what it sounds like you are saying is happening.

It's the opposite of Ford almost making no cars but focussing on trucks instead. People around here seem to want to buy all of the stuff. So developers make only the most profitable/easiest stuff.

I have no empirical facts, it's just speculation.
(04-26-2019, 07:51 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:

So let me rephrase … it's easier to sell/rent 1BR and 2BR units profitably (most businesses do prefer profits) than to do the same for 3BR units. As a result, few developers are offering 3BR units. If there were heavy demand for 3BR units, at profitable price levels, we would see more developers offering those.

It may be that in the future we will have an oversupply of 1BR/2BR units and an unmet demand for 3BR units. If that happens, I expect that the 1BR/2BR prices will stagnate or drop while 3BR prices will increase. And that, in turn, will induce developers to offer more 3BR units.

Not very large -- what is remarkable about this is that you have to pay for your own water, heat and hydro. "on-site laundry lounge" -- I am loving that usage of that work there. I'll have to remember that if I ever sell my house.
(04-26-2019, 12:54 PM)plam Wrote: So developers make only the most profitable/easiest stuff.

Right, they (attempt to) meet market demand.

Now of course they could be wrong about the market; but that will soon be apparent because the under-supplied goods will increase in price and/or be easy to sell, and the over-supplied goods will decrease in price and/or be hard to sell.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »