Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ION Stage 3 Speculation - Facts, Theories, Speculation, Rumors!
(06-07-2018, 09:09 PM)Canard Wrote: No kidding! $34 for the first trip for me this year... I’d forgotten it was so ridiculous, I almost never look at the bill. I took the regular way last time (401/400) and it’s not so bad.... but 407 is sooo much nicer.

Doesn't anyone own a transponder? Pays for itself in like 5 or 6 trips?

My last trip (went to a Jays game).

Quote:Trip Date Entry-Exit Distance Cost per KM Toll Charges
03/29/2018 9:04 PM Hwy427-Hwy401 24.490 km $0.2338$5.73
Total 407 ETR 24.4 km $5.73
Total for all trips: 24.4 km $5.73

It's not bad if you lease the transponder...I don't do a lot of trips, but it certainly pays for itself pretty fast.

Yes I have a Transponder. It’s like 10 years old though and stopped working so the last few trips were with the addition of a video toll charge, and now I have a new one. Still it would be like $28 with it instead of the $34 without it. My point still stands. The 401 to 427 is not very far, it’s like 1/3 of the way to 400. So your $5 becomes $15 which x2 is $30.

It also depends on the time of day. If I go to Wonderland on a weeknight after work the cost is astronomical. Weekends it’s not as bad.

This is ridiculously off topic now though...

For Phase 2 I wonder if they would add a mini-MSF somewhere. A lot of systems have that; a second yard or shop that has just the primary functions allocated to it, just to take some pressure off the original MSF.
(06-10-2018, 03:41 PM)Canard Wrote: Yes I have a Transponder. It’s like 10 years old though and stopped working so the last few trips were with the addition of a video toll charge, and now I have a new one. Still it would be like $28 with it instead of the $34 without it. My point still stands. The 401 to 427 is not very far, it’s like 1/3 of the way to 400. So your $5 becomes $15 which x2 is $30.

It also depends on the time of day. If I go to Wonderland on a weeknight after work the cost is astronomical. Weekends it’s not as bad.

This is ridiculously off topic now though...

For Phase 2 I wonder if they would add a mini-MSF somewhere. A lot of systems have that; a second yard or shop that has just the primary functions allocated to it, just to take some pressure off the original MSF.

I wonder if they do this, if one could be just off highway 8 before the 401. It's a good central location, especially if a train has to be removed somewhere in Cambridge or south Kitchener.
(06-10-2018, 09:04 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-10-2018, 03:41 PM)Canard Wrote: For Phase 2 I wonder if they would add a mini-MSF somewhere. A lot of systems have that; a second yard or shop that has just the primary functions allocated to it, just to take some pressure off the original MSF.

I wonder if they do this, if one could be just off highway 8 before the 401.  It's a good central location, especially if a train has to be removed somewhere in Cambridge or south Kitchener.

My bet would be on an industrial property north of Eagle St. There are some under-used properties that abut the proposed route, and they won't require a level crossing for LRV access.

Next to highway 8 has the ongoing concern of the future ramps to highway 8. It might be a wrangle with the MTO to carve out a siding in that area. Though, I don't know how much of that area is owned by the MTO. The south side of King St is a no-go, thanks to the palatial mansions next door. Also, the route is presumably running in-median, and would have to cross a lane of traffic to access the yard.

(06-10-2018, 03:41 PM)Canard Wrote: For Phase 2 I wonder if they would add a mini-MSF somewhere. A lot of systems have that; a second yard or shop that has just the primary functions allocated to it, just to take some pressure off the original MSF.

Yes, another facility is planned.

Reference #1:
Determine location of maintenance and storage facility”

Reference #2:
Conduct a site selection study for LRT facilities, including Maintenance Facility and transformer stations”
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »