Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District
(09-09-2023, 07:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It seems that the Grand Market is buried, with a stake through its heart. Maybe they were just using it as a pretext for tearing down the Sears building in the first place?

They would have put hundreds of thousands into the plan so I doubt that was the case. The Sears building wasn't heritage protected anyway, the issue only came up after their initial proposal but in the end the City of Kitchener council let the Ontario Teacher' Pension Plan do what they want with the property. And like with many things the very botched way we shut down the world for a couple years to try and stop the unstoppable resulted in an unprecedented global economic collapse, so Cadillac Fairview is likely in no rush to move forward with this right now.

I can also imagine them changing their plans now as well. The office space probably makes little sense now so I would guess they've put that on hold. Overall the property is in a very strategic spot so they probably don't want to rush it. If the Cambridge LRT line ever happens, that will turn the area into an even busier transit hub so they could drastically expand the retail options. Put as much parking underground too and then they could add a lot of residential towers not only along Kingsway as planned but near Fairway/the highway exits. It could be a pretty well done, high density mixed use area (though I question how the local roads could handle things..it's already so busy).

(09-09-2023, 08:00 PM)ac3r Wrote: They would have put hundreds of thousands into the plan so I doubt that was the case. The Sears building wasn't heritage protected anyway, the issue only came up after their initial proposal but in the end the City of Kitchener council let the Ontario Teacher' Pension Plan do what they want with the property. And like with many things the very botched way we shut down the world for a couple years to try and stop the unstoppable resulted in an unprecedented global economic collapse, so Cadillac Fairview is likely in no rush to move forward with this right now.

I can also imagine them changing their plans now as well. The office space probably makes little sense now so I would guess they've put that on hold. Overall the property is in a very strategic spot so they probably don't want to rush it. If the Cambridge LRT line ever happens, that will turn the area into an even busier transit hub so they could drastically expand the retail options. Put as much parking underground too and then they could add a lot of residential towers not only along Kingsway as planned but near Fairway/the highway exits. It could be a pretty well done, high density mixed use area (though I question how the local roads could handle things..it's already so busy).

I mean, the transit hub is supposed to pick up that extra demand, right?
(09-09-2023, 08:00 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(09-09-2023, 07:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It seems that the Grand Market is buried, with a stake through its heart. Maybe they were just using it as a pretext for tearing down the Sears building in the first place?

They would have put hundreds of thousands into the plan so I doubt that was the case. The Sears building wasn't heritage protected anyway, the issue only came up after their initial proposal but in the end the City of Kitchener council let the Ontario Teacher' Pension Plan do what they want with the property. And like with many things the very botched way we shut down the world for a couple years to try and stop the unstoppable resulted in an unprecedented global economic collapse, so Cadillac Fairview is likely in no rush to move forward with this right now.

Sorry, I can't let this off-topic remark slide. Looked at excess deaths from NZ versus Canada versus the US? NZ saved thousands of people.
However, Canada's mortality rate has been increasing steadily since roughly 2016 due to aging population... No matter what, more people would have died...
(09-12-2023, 08:35 AM)plam Wrote:
(09-09-2023, 08:00 PM)ac3r Wrote: They would have put hundreds of thousands into the plan so I doubt that was the case. The Sears building wasn't heritage protected anyway, the issue only came up after their initial proposal but in the end the City of Kitchener council let the Ontario Teacher' Pension Plan do what they want with the property. And like with many things the very botched way we shut down the world for a couple years to try and stop the unstoppable resulted in an unprecedented global economic collapse, so Cadillac Fairview is likely in no rush to move forward with this right now.

Sorry, I can't let this off-topic remark slide. Looked at excess deaths from NZ versus Canada versus the US? NZ saved thousands of people.

Perhaps, but the responses caused in unimaginable suffering in their own ways. Grandma dying/not dying was just one possible impact albeit one that got the most reaction because the concept of death is a heavy thing for people. But the ripple effects of these reactions imposed on everyone by the state caused equally catastrophic damages to society that are just as bad as grandma dying. People losing their jobs/businesses/homes/everything, the spike in drug abuse, the mental health impacts and suicides caused by the isolation/financial suffering the state imposed on people, financial markets experiencing a bubble then collapse, the weakening of government/power structures as people got utterly fed up with things, surges in domestic violence and violence in general, the increase of racist sentiments and racial attacks (primarily on East Asian people) and so much more. The damage we did to collective human civilization was large...and a lot of it was done on a whim, blindly, with no actual evidence that what we were doing/told to do was actually the right thing or not. Quite often, it wasn't (i.e. following the arrows in the grocery store lol...or vaccine mandates, until we learned they don't do much to impact transmission). Sometimes it was (masks in crowded settings...if everyone wore them correctly, anyway). And as we're going into 2024, there is now a mainstream acknowledgement that the response to things was an absolute mess and caused immense harm to individuals in society in different ways.

But anyway, my statement wasn't meant to initiate a discussion on the policies or anything. Covid-19 is history (for most of us, anyway...there's still some freaks out there who obsess over it). I was just pointing out that we're in the shit and will be for some time as a direct result of the pandemic and the response to it. Economically everything is a mess so even a company like Cadillac Fairview - with deep pockets, since they are owned by the OTPP - is likely having to carefully strategize where to spend their money which is why this Grand Market District thing has been put on the back burner. It's a good property with a lot of potential but developers have a lot of factors to consider right now...it's why proposals for developments have slowed. This is probably a property they'll just sit on, improving it in smaller phases for now. Once construction costs lower I imagine they'll speed things up. If/when news of the Cambridge line of the LRT being confirmed happens, that would help a lot too.

It does appear that they're currently starting something near the fake smokestack, where they used to have ramps for trucks to unload to the Sears basement. The old documents showed plans for a building there so maybe it's this?

[Image: 20jW5q9.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »