Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
(04-03-2022, 04:18 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 06:47 PM)Bytor Wrote: Though, oddly, in spite of that reason for not resuming prepandemic schedules to Kitchener, they also say this:

https://kitchener.citynews.ca/around-sou...ne-5221838

"Metrolinx, Stratford mayor expecting increased ridership on expanded Kitchener GO line

Stating it will take time to build a ridership for the expanded GO train service, as the holiday season saw the highest ticket sales"

As quoted in the article...

For Stratford they are willing to spend now to increase ridership in the long term with a "build it and they will come" mentality, something we all know pays out well when it comes to transit projects anywhere.

But for Kitchener, where the spending on restoring increased service would mean a much, much quicker increase in ridership, the excuse instead is that there's not enough ridership to warrant doing so.

This inconsistency is especially aggravating given that they had restored virtually all pre-pandemic service to Kitchener back in October, citing both ridership increases in spite of covid-19 and a certainty that ridership beyond pre-pandemic levels was a given. But then they axed everything in mid-January during the midst of the delta/omicron wave and that, if anything, is the real cause of low ridership today.

Is it being too cynical to suggest that Metrolinx isn't quite as politically arms-length as might be possible? Are there votes to be had in Stratford that are written off in Waterloo Region?

Or, is it better to promise something new and exciting rather than restore something boring?
(04-04-2022, 06:56 PM)nms Wrote: Is it being too cynical to suggest that Metrolinx isn't quite as politically arms-length as might be possible? Are there votes to be had in Stratford that are written off in Waterloo Region?

Or, is it better to promise something new and exciting rather than restore something boring?

My cynical take is that there are a bunch of voters that care about GO transportation but don’t actually use it (this part is just true, not cynical).

The province knows that announcements about increasing service or adding cities to a list of places with service appeals to these people. But these people don’t actually know about the day-to-day details. At a certain point they don’t know the difference between 3 trips a day, 6 trips a day, or 12 trips a day.
(04-04-2022, 06:56 PM)nms Wrote: Is it being too cynical to suggest that Metrolinx isn't quite as politically arms-length as might be possible?

I think Metrolinx is only arms-length when it comes to blame for bad consequences. It's pretty clear all decision making is being done at Queen's Park.
Ontario government awards $1.6B contract for 1st phase of GO Transit train electrification
(04-19-2022, 12:07 PM)Acitta Wrote: Ontario government awards $1.6B contract for 1st phase of GO Transit train electrification

Quote:The Ontario government has inked a deal worth approximately $1.6 billion to implement the first phase of a mammoth project that could see GO Transit’s entire rail network electrified, potentially opening the door for much more frequent and faster train service.

At least CityNews is being realistic about it.
New GO Expansion agreement with ONxpress Transportation Partners ushers in exciting future of faster, greener, more frequent GO Train service

"GO Expansion is moving forward to the next stage of development and will transform the region in ways greater than previously imagined. GO Expansion will include infrastructure and operational plans that reduce journey times even more, add more capacity, improve on-time performance, and customer satisfaction."

How long have we been hearing that? Haha. Proposals and plans and promises, year after year and very little actually happens.
(04-22-2022, 01:08 PM)ac3r Wrote: How long have we been hearing that? Haha. Proposals and plans and promises, year after year and very little actually happens.

The amount of work that's gone into the Go network is actually quite significant, but work on active rail lines is very slow. Much of it was started under Wynne (transit was always a top priority for her), but it's exactly the sort of long term infrastructure work that governments rarely do because they won't get credit for it. By the time the project is done the government that started the project is long gone.

This is an award of a major contract, so it's more than just proposals and promises. I agree they could have done things faster, but lets not pretend this is just another study either. The fact that North American governments are so slow to build infrastructure is a real problem, but it's not just an Ontario problem.
So, significant work has been done, just nothing to show for it? Sounds about right for Metrolinx. "Trust us guys, we're working hard to improve rail transit in Ontario and make commuting a wonderful experience with new trains, cars and rail lines!"...then in reality it's the same crappy service, on slow trains, in overcrowded trains as we've always had. I don't know why people keep falling for it. I'm sure this time it will be different, though.
A lot of big expensive infrastructure projects like the Davenport Diamond Grade Separation and other grade separations in Toronto have been ongoing for years. Additionally the work on Guelph that has taken place recently. All of these are a prerequisite to higher speeds and frequencies. Billions have already been spent to get to the point we are at currently. Hopefully the current and next governments will keep pushing this forward. (Although here in KW we may not see much of a direct impact)
(04-22-2022, 05:54 PM)ac3r Wrote: So, significant work has been done, just nothing to show for it? 

They cut 15-20 minutes off the Kitchener-Toronto GO train time, I don't get how that's nothing.

Is it as fast as it should be? No. But they were never going to go from 120 to 60 minutes in one change. Progress happens incrementally, as various improvements are made.
This contract will see the busiest parts of GO's network electrified, upgrades to the fleet to move most of it off diesel power, and other expansions that will see massive frequency boosts. And it has world-leading companies like Deutsche Bahn and Alstom ensuring it meets the highest standards. I'm confident we'll get very solid gains from the work, even if it's slower and more piecemeal that w could have had.

Reese has a pretty good outline of the pros and cons of this phase of Go Expansion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XOXAY3rPzk
I think the project is major, and I think it will make meaningful improvements in Toronto.

I DON'T think KW is a priority for Metrolinx and I don't see meaningful improvements (15-20 minutes off the trip is good, but AFAIK they still aren't at pre-pandemic levels of service, so that's a wash at best).

I know we've had this discussion before, but I still don't believe there is any realistic plan to implement all day 2 way frequent service to KW.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »