Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
(07-09-2022, 06:34 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I believe the signs at the LRT stations are off-the-shelf INIT models, just like GRT uses for their bus stops. The last time I looked at the INIT specs (admittedly several years ago) the sign model used for the LRT stations didn't have a wired version, it was made with an integrated cell modem. I actually believe the cell service was provided through INIT as a part of a service contract.

So although there is definitely wiring to every station, if you're using an INIT real-time schedule system, you're going to be constrained by what models of display they offer (unless you want to spend a lot of money on a custom solution). I'm not surprised the premium for something wired and custom exceeds the costs of some cell data.

Thanks for this information. I agree sticking with something commercially available is, unfortunately, usually the best way to go. No organization can be a research and development organization for every one of their inputs.

I’m disappointed if wired Ethernet isn’t an option. I wonder if they could even be POE (Power Over Ethernet), based on the power requirements? One can imagine making a choice at purchase time whether or not to have the cell modem incorporated into the case or instead to just make the ethernet port available. It seems like poor modularization if this isn’t an option.

And providing the cell service as part of the display contract is clearly poor design. Display manufacturers should stick to manufacturing displays. Yes, I know everybody wants to provide integrated solutions, but it’s just not good design for customers to be unable to build their own system out of well-defined modules that each do one simple thing.

You guys are forgetting one key thing: they built this thing with pennies. No way they would have included all these features as it would have inflated the budget necessities even higher.
GRT is holding an opening ceremony and tour of the new Northfield bus storage facility at 1pm on July 14. Electric and articulated buses will be on display.

https://www.facebook.com/GRTROW/posts/pf...Su89oNLWNl
Not certain if this qualifies as newsworthy, but hoping some local experts have things to say about it:

"WATERLOO REGION — The region has hired Mathieu Goetzke, a current VP with Metrolinx, as its new commissioner for transportation services.

Goetzke will lead a team that will prioritize the resident experience, while building neighbourhoods that are safe, accessible and healthy, a news release from Waterloo Region said on Thursday."

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-story...-services/
local cambridge weirdo
(09-12-2022, 05:10 PM)bravado Wrote: Not certain if this qualifies as newsworthy, but hoping some local experts have things to say about it:

"WATERLOO REGION — The region has hired Mathieu Goetzke, a current VP with Metrolinx, as its new commissioner for transportation services.

Goetzke will lead a team that will prioritize the resident experience, while building neighbourhoods that are safe, accessible and healthy, a news release from Waterloo Region said on Thursday."

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-story...-services/

Definitely newsworthy.

Quite frankly, given Metrolinx's mediocre performance, I don't think that's a particularly inspiring qualification.

But working in as the Chief Planner for Lille in France is a *lil* more inspiring.

Still, only time will tell how this hire will impact the region...but I don't think you can get more regressive than our current transportation engineering team.
(09-12-2022, 06:44 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Quite frankly, given Metrolinx's mediocre performance, I don't think that's a particularly inspiring qualification.

Former VP of Planning at Metrolinx. But would he have been the one responsible for the Metrolinx performance in that role? I suspect not.
(09-12-2022, 07:40 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-12-2022, 06:44 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Quite frankly, given Metrolinx's mediocre performance, I don't think that's a particularly inspiring qualification.

Former VP of Planning at Metrolinx. But would he have been the one responsible for the Metrolinx performance in that role? I suspect not.

I could go either way on this.

It could be bad, because he will bring the Metrolinx culture here, or it could be great, because he is better than that and realized he couldn’t have a good impact at Metrolinx.

Our existing transportation commissioner sets the bar very very low, so I'd take this announcement with a healthy dose of optimism
(09-14-2022, 01:56 PM)jamincan Wrote: Our existing transportation commissioner sets the bar very very low, so I'd take this announcement with a healthy dose of optimism

If you mean Thomas Schmidt, he retired several months ago.
(09-16-2022, 11:11 AM)Bytor Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 01:56 PM)jamincan Wrote: Our existing transportation commissioner sets the bar very very low, so I'd take this announcement with a healthy dose of optimism

Lol...I did not know that...good riddance...he told me I was wrong in a public council meeting...even though I was directly quoting engineering standards.

But he's hardly the only problematic senior transportation engineer at the region.
(09-16-2022, 11:11 AM)Bytor Wrote:

That was who I meant. It's kind of funny that you knew from the context I provide; I hope he's happy with the legacy he left.
(09-20-2022, 07:47 AM)jamincan Wrote:
(09-16-2022, 11:11 AM)Bytor Wrote: If you mean Thomas Schmidt, he retired several months ago.

That was who I meant. It's kind of funny that you knew from the context I provide; I hope he's happy with the legacy he left.

To be fair, part of his legacy is LRT...which is nothing to scoff at...
GRT seems to have had a bit of an issue at Madison/Charles today. One of the brand-new hybrid buses too.

(10-12-2022, 10:01 PM)taylortbb Wrote: GRT seems to have had a bit of an issue at Madison/Charles today. One of the brand-new hybrid buses too.

Very strange. I don’t believe that is a bus route, it’s not an obvious route, and they’re usually very careful about where buses drive — they don’t ad lib their routes, even when a diversion is needed. I wonder how it happened. Full size bus? That makes it even weirder.
I mean, forget GRT routes, obviously that's not on or near a route. We don't even know if the bus was in service, but it doesn't matter.

There is no reason ANY driver of ANY vehicle should be in this situation. The fact the operator didn't understand that this would end badly shows they should not be driving.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »