Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
(02-08-2023, 01:47 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Further, he has a backwards causation...but in his defense, god damn transportation planners make the same error...arguing that service cuts respond to rather than induces changes in ridership.

NZ Rail Services was extremely bad at doing this. They never wanted more train service and kept on following less demand with less service.

I noticed that a new transit canopy is being built at the corner of King and University on or adjacent to the WLU athletic complex. True to tradition, theirs appears to about 1/3 the size of the one at the University of Waterloo.
(02-09-2023, 09:47 PM)nms Wrote: I noticed that a new transit canopy is being built at the corner of King and University on or adjacent to the WLU athletic complex.  True to tradition, theirs appears to about 1/3 the size of the one at the University of Waterloo.

Fewer routes, smaller shelter. It would be absurd to build an oversize shelter just so the two shelters would be the same size.

Right?
(02-09-2023, 10:45 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-09-2023, 09:47 PM)nms Wrote: I noticed that a new transit canopy is being built at the corner of King and University on or adjacent to the WLU athletic complex.  True to tradition, theirs appears to about 1/3 the size of the one at the University of Waterloo.

Fewer routes, smaller shelter. It would be absurd to build an oversize shelter just so the two shelters would be the same size.

Right?

I wish we could easily do memes here because I'd put this text on the Matrix/Morpheus meme where he opens Neo's eyes:

What if I told you that BOTH shelters are undersized?
Looks like they are planning to drop Routes 2 and 73, while reallocating resources to other routes including adding weekend services in Cambridge and routes 31, we and 36.

https://pub-regionofwaterloo.escribemeet...entId=2443
The spot worst hit by the 2 closing would be the Stirling-Greenbrook area; that is mitigated a bit by the new pedestrian bridge from Avalon to Strasburg, giving the area access to the 3. Still less than ideal, but I can see the case being made.

Why is the one at UW so enormous? I never see it more than half full, and my transfers seem to always stop at opposite ends.

They plan on having a few of the articulated buses use the station which is why they built it so large.
Speaking of different sized buses. When did the GRT get the stubby bus that is about 50% smaller than their typical buses? I saw one on Charles this week but didn’t have time to take a photo. Are there specific routes this (these?) were purchased for?
(02-10-2023, 12:26 PM)timc Wrote:

Why is the one at UW so enormous? I never see it more than half full, and my transfers seem to always stop at opposite ends.

I can’t speak to the details, but modern transit authorities seem to need one bay for every route, even if they all run only every 15 minutes or so. It feels like they used to be able to share much more. I’m not sure what, if anything, has changed in this regard.
(02-10-2023, 09:13 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-10-2023, 12:26 PM)timc Wrote: Why is the one at UW so enormous? I never see it more than half full, and my transfers seem to always stop at opposite ends.

I can’t speak to the details, but modern transit authorities seem to need one bay for every route, even if they all run only every 15 minutes or so. It feels like they used to be able to share much more. I’m not sure what, if anything, has changed in this regard.

Maybe I should post this in the GO thread, but GO buses do seem to be able to share at other terminals, say Square One. It's super confusing to find a particular bus though. They could really use more wayfinding signage.
(02-10-2023, 08:19 PM)Chris Wrote: Speaking of different sized buses. When did the GRT get the stubby bus that is about 50% smaller than their typical buses? I saw one on Charles this week but didn’t have time to take a photo. Are there specific routes this (these?) were purchased for?

These have been cheesing around some of the less popular routes in Cambridge for at least 6 months now. They're very cute.
local cambridge weirdo
(02-10-2023, 08:19 PM)Chris Wrote: Speaking of different sized buses. When did the GRT get the stubby bus that is about 50% smaller than their typical buses? I saw one on Charles this week but didn’t have time to take a photo. Are there specific routes this (these?) were purchased for?

Their main use in Kitchener is on route 27, which now directly serves Freeport Health Centre; the driveway there can't fit a full bus, but can fit these.

(02-10-2023, 10:12 PM)KevinL Wrote:

Their main use in Kitchener is on route 27, which now directly serves Freeport Health Centre; the driveway there can't fit a full bus, but can fit these.

Lol...the ultimate in "we didn't plan for people to be able to get here".

Reminds me of the Family Centre being in accessible (and then I get angry because the NIMBYs on Alpine opposed a pedestrian connection).

That's the new Vicinity Classic Vi30. As someone said, they bought them for Route 27. It allowed them to pull into Grand River Hospital, Freeport as well as make some tight turns on other streets along the route. For example, previously the 27 would turn left at the Fairway/King intersection then right onto Morgan Ave from King (and it would stop in front of the Raddison Hotel). But with the shorter bus, it can pull right onto Morgan from Fairway which cut some time off the trip and allowed them to go directly to the hospital. I'm unsure if it's used on any other routes use it in Kitchener or Waterloo. Apparently there are some in Cambridge, though.

Amusingly, I hear the drivers refer to it as the "short bus" if you know what I mean. And apparently they despise it. It has a lot of faults though I don't know specifically what, I've just heard them talk about how junk they find it.

Oddly, VMC is a Canadian company but our buses we have have written Spanish in some areas (most notably under the accessibility/priority seats). I don't find myself on that route too often but next time I am I'll have to see if there is any French at all. I would assume for things like how to operate emergency exits there is as there is surely some obscure federal law mandating those sort of things need to be bilingual.

I made a ton of money on this company back in early 2021 but now VMC trades at around 1 dollar a share. Maybe the fact their stock crashed explains why the buses now suck if the drivers are to be believed heh. Definitely would not invest in this company again.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »