Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
This is not specifically about Waterloo Region, but is surely relevant.

We must urgently reinvent public transit for the post-pandemic world
Andy Byford is the former head of Transport for London, New York City Transit and the Toronto Transit Commission.

(02-11-2023, 04:23 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-10-2023, 10:12 PM)KevinL Wrote: Their main use in Kitchener is on route 27, which now directly serves Freeport Health Centre; the driveway there can't fit a full bus, but can fit these.

Lol...the ultimate in "we didn't plan for people to be able to get here".

Reminds me of the Family Centre being in accessible (and then I get angry because the NIMBYs on Alpine opposed a pedestrian connection).

The Freeport Campus was originally the Freeport Tuberculosis Sanitorium, opened in 1915.  The Grand River Railway did add a Freeport stop that was likely nearby but I haven't been able to find any reference to it. Passenger service on the line ended in 1955.
(02-21-2023, 06:37 PM)nms Wrote: The Freeport Campus was originally the Freeport Tuberculosis Sanitorium, opened in 1915.  The Grand River Railway did add a Freeport stop that was likely nearby but I haven't been able to find any reference to it. Passenger service on the line ended in 1955.

It's listed on the timetables as a stop. There's one in the John Mill's book "Ontario's Grand River Valley Electric Railways". I think the timetables might also be on the CP tracks site in the archives.
GRT fares will now be $3.75 and monthly passes are now $92.00: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/regional-co...-1.6285047
Quote:On Wednesday, Coun. Doug Craig suggested increasing the price of the monthly GRT pass to a whopping $119. After some debate, the motion failed.

What would be the justification for such an increase?
(02-23-2023, 12:39 PM)timc Wrote:
Quote:On Wednesday, Coun. Doug Craig suggested increasing the price of the monthly GRT pass to a whopping $119. After some debate, the motion failed.

To show the rest of the Region of Waterloo that LRT was a bad idea....
(02-23-2023, 12:39 PM)timc Wrote:

To show that Doug Craig hasn't given up on his lifetime of being anti-transit.

Considering that the street he lives on barely has sidewalks for major portions of it, I’m not surprised.
local cambridge weirdo
How about we save money by not having plows go down Doug Craig's street? How come I gotta pay for some poor schmucks street to be clear? Austerity!
He should just shovel the street.
https://twitter.com/GRT_ROW/status/1629139839307370496

Tweet from GRT:
"We’re excited that 29 new hybrid buses are rolling out on the streets of Waterloo Region this spring! You’ll be able to spot them by the blue/green decal along the roof. They’re replacing 29 buses from 2007-08 that are being retired, including 6 hybrids and 23 diesel-only buses."
A Redditor posted this photo of a wheelchair user forced to crawl and clear snow from the bus stop with his hands so he could board the bus at Ottawa St and River Rd.

[Image: n3N78TK.png]
(02-24-2023, 07:08 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: A Redditor posted this photo of a wheelchair user forced to crawl and clear snow from the bus stop with his hands so he could board the bus at Ottawa St and River Rd.
I posted the picture on Twitter and got this reply from @RegionWaterloo: 

"Hi @acitta, it’s taken a bit longer to get all the stops cleared after the recent storm. 
@GRT_ROWdispatched a contractor earlier today to clear this stop and reached out to the customer."

Today's storm notwithstanding, I shudder to think how snow plow contractors (public or private) would have managed if there had been any more snow this winter. Clearing has definitely been hit or miss, especially on privately owned properties. This criticism isn't just for single-family homes but also multi-unit properties.
Wow that guy having to get out and shovel. Shameful service. Though this is on the region for inadequate funding put into public transit. They give it all to the police.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »