Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
36-42 Erb St E, and 39 Dupont St E | 24 fl | Proposed
Considering how wide this is, I have a hard time seeing this approved.

(02-28-2020, 08:20 PM)Guido Wrote: A wild long-awaited update appears! New plans have been posted for this project on the city's site after they were revised to meet the planners' requirements: https://www.waterloo.ca/en/government/zo...spx#dupont

It looks like the podium has been significantly changed as well as the layout of the tower itself - particularly the height - down to 19 floors now.
19 floors what a shame. 24-25 floors in this area is perfect.
About 200 units in total, mostly 500-600 sq ft (presumably) 1BR ones, with only a handful of larger ones per (giant) floorplate.

I can't say that this looks exciting to me. Half the building at eight floors, half at 19.

Looks good to me. 24 would have been nice. But 19 fits in uptown. Walking distance to all the shops. Ground floor retail. Erb street is slowly turning into a nicer st for pedestrians. Bike lane is a great addition to stop erb feeling like a hwy. Design is fine. Definitely better than most of the recent built in waterloo. Looks better then the barrel yards.
All right, then everyone is happy. You can have this in Waterloo and we'll have Charlie West in DTK. And I'll even take Barra over this one, unless the final build looks better than the renders.
I think this looks pretty good, but preferred the original proposal. I don't understand this height restriction non-sense in the core.
(02-29-2020, 11:11 PM)tomh009 Wrote: All right, then everyone is happy. You can have this in Waterloo and we'll have Charlie West in DTK. And I'll even take Barra over this one, unless the final build looks better than the renders.
This a "render" for a zoning exercise. This is by no means a final look if the building. Would be awesome if they did patterned panels like the pharmacy building on king and Victoria. Not likely on resiental project though. Don't know if anyone compared it to charlie west. 100 times better then the barra in my opinion even if this is just for zoning.

I get the impression they 'overproposed' on the original pitch knowing they'd have to compromise downward. I rather like the current design.
(03-01-2020, 11:02 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(02-29-2020, 11:11 PM)tomh009 Wrote: All right, then everyone is happy. You can have this in Waterloo and we'll have Charlie West in DTK. And I'll even take Barra over this one, unless the final build looks better than the renders.
This a "render" for a zoning exercise. This is by no means a final look if the building. Would be awesome if they did patterned panels like the pharmacy building on king and Victoria. Not likely on resiental project though. Don't know if anyone compared it to charlie west. 100 times better then the barra in my opinion even if this is just for zoning.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The two things that I really don't like about this:
  • Instead of two towers, the eight-floor part and the 19-floor part are munged together into an wide, awkward-looking, L-shaped, not-quite tower
  • The "skirt" around the podium looks forced and does not tie into the design of the upper part
I don't mind it but I think it would be cool if this development did a little more for Laurel Trail. I'm not sure exactly what, but the trail sort of passes through through the corner of the property and the rendering seems to show it as a few lines on the edge of the street. Why not add a something like benches, a statue, water fountain, drinking fountain, etc. It would tie it in with the neighbourhood more than just being a square building that could be anywhere.
It's interesting that with how much height is opposed, this, while shorter, is the the alternative. Shorter and wider typically isn't better IMO
https://outline.com/AKsmtp
https://www.waterloo.ca/en/government/re...s-AODA.pdf

Apparently this has gone down to 22 stories from 24 now, and eliminated the underground parking (less ~90 parking spaces). Despite this, there are actually MORE units and bedrooms than there were before. Recommendation is to approve
No idea if it would have gotten remodelled down, but the original podium was definitely more visually intriguing than the new one, unfortunately.

So this went from 24 floors, down to 19, back up to 22?
[Image: khNcP9M.jpg][Image: 5ZlNyuD.jpg][Image: OKwQlWw.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »