Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Glove Box | 6 fl | U/C
Walked by today and saw a groundbreaking event happening for the Glove Box. Perhaps some bigger progress on that part of the lot is to come soon?

Surprised a techy company didn't gobble it up first. Some of the tech companies might want something sooner though given their pace of expansion, or waiting out for the Grade A commercial building across LaCucina/LCBO on King.

I think KPMG is taking the 'blend of old and new' in direct response to what Deloitte did with that factory across the street.
(09-11-2019, 09:38 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Surprised a techy company didn't gobble it up first. Some of the tech companies might want something sooner though given their pace of expansion, or waiting out for the Grade A commercial building across LaCucina/LCBO on King.

I think KPMG is taking the 'blend of old and new' in direct response to what Deloitte did with that factory across the street.

The KPMG space will be entirely new - top floor of the new six-storey build.  Similar to what Gowlings is doing over at 345 King W.
(09-11-2019, 09:38 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Surprised a techy company didn't gobble it up first. Some of the tech companies might want something sooner though given their pace of expansion, or waiting out for the Grade A commercial building across LaCucina/LCBO on King.

They could be after the space in the original Huck building
This is maybe old but I hadn't seen it yet, it's a video walk-through of the rendering.  https://www.gloveboxkw.ca/architectural-sneak-peak
(09-12-2019, 08:30 AM)mastermind Wrote: This is maybe old but I hadn't seen it yet, it's a video walk-through of the rendering.  https://www.gloveboxkw.ca/architectural-sneak-peak

Very cool. Reminds me of the integration of an old bank building where Marche is located in downtown Toronto. Except in that case if I'm not mistaken the entire bank is enclosed.
I wonder how accurate that is? In particular, the restaurant looks huge. I wonder if the art work shown out front is what has been commissioned? I quite like it.

Right now, it looks like the One Hundred Condo ground floor amenities aren't even complete - correct me if I'm wrong but one can see a lot of empty space/construction going on inside.

I hope the feel of this 'hub' of condos (3) and Glove Box office space create a cool, walkable vibe similar to that at the ground floor of Bauer Lofts. Don't know how much having cars going in and out would impact it. I definitely hope they go with the cobble stony feel as evident in the video.
(09-12-2019, 10:49 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Right now, it looks like the One Hundred Condo ground floor amenities aren't even complete - correct me if I'm wrong but one can see a lot of empty space/construction going on inside.

I hope the feel of this 'hub' of condos (3) and Glove Box office space create a cool, walkable vibe similar to that at the ground floor of Bauer Lofts. Don't know how much having cars going in and out would impact it. I definitely hope they go with the cobble stony feel as evident in the video.

If you walk by One Hundred today you will see the paving materials and yes it is cobble stony as the video.
Ground floor amenities for One Hundred? You mean the commercial units? They need to be sold/leased first and then the tenants will do their own construction inside for whatever business they want to open.
(09-11-2019, 01:43 PM)Spokes Wrote:

They could be after the space in the original Huck building

No. The floors in the old Huck building will be integrated with the new one and completely renovated. So likely KPMG will have the top one or two floors in the new portion, and another tenant might get a bit of "old" floor combined with the new section depending on what floor they are.
Ah okay cool @ 2 above posts.

I'm definitely getting excited about Glove Box. What a great fit for the area. I hope developers keep using brick and stone buildings throughout the city. A place that seems to have SO much potential is downtown Galt. I always remark this when down there but it just seems so far from being there. Even the Gaslight District development seems to be working at a snail's pace.
I wonder what the fate of the long-vacant Macintosh Cleaners across Bramm Street from Huck Glove will be.

I also wonder what the fate of 138-146 Victoria Street South will be. I live in 142. It's a rathole and will probably need to be torn down relatively soon (but the rent is cheap).
I thought the cleaners had been bought recently?

(09-17-2019, 12:52 PM)Spokes Wrote: I thought the cleaners had been bought recently?

Yeah, there was a concept for it done as a tech/startup/generic 'cool' business iirc?... But I have a feeling its owners are just keeping it empty for a developer to assemble all the land from Bramm to Park Street (which I heard might have already happened).
It was sold in early 2016, and the new owners did do some work on it with the stated intention of renting it out as office space, and possibly a coffee shop or similar in the front. Has it been sold again since then?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »