Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Glove Box | 6 fl | U/C
I love the density most of all. I was hoping SIXO or whatever silly name it's going by would have come along by now, but that's more or less stalled. This is one of the few developments on a single city block that has multiple towers, so it's nice to see.

(08-14-2020, 06:26 PM)ac3r Wrote: I was hoping SIXO or whatever silly name it's going by would have come along by now, but that's more or less stalled.

Station Park (formerly Sixo) is under way, with pre-sales complete and construction happening for two of the towers. I do think that since Van Mar took over the project got less exciting, and more suburban in style, but I certainly wouldn't call it stalled.

I like the Glove Box development, but I think it's going to be like Bauer Lofts was 10 years ago. A good development, but just far enough removed from its respective downtown to be sort of an island. Hopefully over the next 10 years Victoria South will fill in from King to Bramm, and we'll have a more interesting street along there.
I have no love for the 3 towers, but I find the Glove Box slightly pleasant. But for those who do like the towers, it's a shame that a place so many people will call home is built on such an unlivable street. Such density should be rewarded with exceptional public space.
Covered pedestrian route and concrete dividers up now. It looks like it will now be a longer term lane closure in front of the office plot now that its about to be above the first story.
Dtkvictim - my hope was that this little junction of 3 condos and an office building, with ground level shops, would create a little vibrant quarter - similar to that experienced below the Bauer Lofts (Vincenzo's square) but I'm starting to scale down those expectations. That little hang out area is right on King and has a surprisnly decent number of curb parking spots (plus actual lot ofc), and 2 very well known anchoring, local tenants in Vinnies and Bauer Kitchen. There needs to be 1 or 2 popping lunchtime crowd pleasers to pull the Tannery, Deloitte etc office crowd.

Main thing is proximity to very busy roads. Victoria is busy of course, but the quickly accessible parking will likely factor in. Will that back "on the hill" parking lot play a role perhaps? Just thought of it....
(08-17-2020, 02:07 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Dtkvictim - my hope was that this little junction of 3 condos and an office building, with ground level shops, would create a little vibrant quarter

Don't worry, that part of Victoria will be growing eventually. Victoria Street South is going to densify over the years guaranteed, there is a lot of land to be utilized by some likely very large projects. Queen Street, too...the Queen South Business Centre's days are likely numbered Tongue.
(08-17-2020, 02:07 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Dtkvictim - my hope was that this little junction of 3 condos and an office building, with ground level shops, would create a little vibrant quarter - similar to that experienced below the Bauer Lofts (Vincenzo's square) but I'm starting to scale down those expectations. That little hang out area is right on King and has a surprisnly decent number of curb parking spots (plus actual lot ofc), and 2 very well known anchoring, local tenants in Vinnies and Bauer Kitchen. There needs to be 1 or 2 popping lunchtime crowd pleasers to pull the Tannery, Deloitte etc office crowd.

Main thing is proximity to very busy roads. Victoria is busy of course, but the quickly accessible parking will likely factor in. Will that back "on the hill" parking lot play a role perhaps? Just thought of it....

I have high hopes for this area, but it's going to take more than these projects. I think they're long term high hopes haha

I've been living off long term high hopes all my life - since my days at Cameron Heights especially!

Hope needs to turn into reality!
What has been interesting to me is how many new projects/improvements can be undertaken without really changing the overall vibe (yet). DTK seems so small that you’d think there’d be more obvious impact. Maybe, when the towers now under construction are completed, things will change. It’s hard to imagine that a couple of thousand new DTKers won’t make a difference.
My thoughts the same going back 2 to 3 years ago looking at the new restos and companies coming in thinking "Now we are going to see that shift." Alas it didn't quite pan out as such. But yes I think increasing the number of RESIDENTS in DTK coupled with even more office space, will have a greater impact.
I think someone on the forum ran the numbers on total number of units to be closing in the next x years in what is generally considered the DTK borders...
Ya I think as much as offices and restaurants and the like help, residents are what matters most.

It's definitely a bit of a chicken/egg scenario though
Yesterday I walked down the car entrance into the first 100Vic tower (the completed one) and noticed that they've started putting the window frames up on the main floor of Glove Box.  Looking down the future Garment Street you can really get a sense of the scale and feel of the space now, despite the fact that it's loaded with construction materials.  I'm quite excited about how this may turn out.  It looks like there's even some covered outdoor space for the lovers of that idea.  One picture can't really capture the whole space, you gotta use your imagination a wee bit.

[attachment=7512]

Thanks for sharing mastermind. Not my business but I take you live at 100 Garment (Vic?) So get to see the progress in real time.

I've been super stoked about this cluster of development since inception. The commercial space will definately help in the day time crowd (assuming things go pre-COVID) and I think a big part is having pedestrian friendly space and green space too. A few anchor shops and a great vibe , the sky is the limit.
I do not live there but I do live downtown. I dream that in a few years I'll occasionally walk over to this place and enjoy a dinner, or get a beverage with a friend, or do some shopping.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »