Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
22 Frederick St redevelopment | Completed
(04-29-2020, 06:38 AM)jamincan Wrote: Do you know what he cause is?

Moisture leaking out through the brick and evaporating, leaving a deposit on the surface.

Does anyone know what the white/grey rectangles are around the windows? Are the for fixing the windows in place, or just spacers for installation? It's a bit hard to capture in a photo, but the glass very noticeably warps around them. It looks incredibly cheap, so I hope it isn't staying like that.

If you look at the reflection of the Regency in the second photo you can see what I mean.
[Image: dXNN1vI.jpg][Image: 2nEOoug.jpg]
(05-25-2020, 09:44 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Does anyone know what the white/grey rectangles are around the windows? Are the for fixing the windows in place,

Yep, just for mounting the glass. They'll be covered up with metal trim.
(05-25-2020, 09:50 PM)EdM Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 09:44 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Does anyone know what the white/grey rectangles are around the windows? Are the for fixing the windows in place,

Yep, just for mounting the glass. They'll be covered up with metal trim.

That being said, the way the glass is apparently warped around them is weird. Overtightened? Or just more noticeable than usual due to the angles of the glass, light, and photograph?
Does your camera have a polarizing filter on it? The effect kind of reminds me of those weird polarized light stress pattern photos.

What is the space going to be used for? It's unfortunate that the views from it won't be more impressive.
I'll look forward to the day when the tower is reclad to match ....
(05-26-2020, 08:47 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'll look forward to the day when the tower is reclad to match ....

Same. This just looks weird. I would have been okay with this square box and the original brick tower without the grey paint. Or...rounded edges of the glass box to match the original architecture of the tower.

(05-26-2020, 07:06 AM)jamincan Wrote: Does your camera have a polarizing filter on it? The effect kind of reminds me of those weird polarized light stress pattern photos.
Not that I'm aware of, it's just the S8+ camera (default Samsung camera app). But I only took the picture because it was visible by eye.
Work has resumed at this site.
Planning Application: 22 Frederick St
To convert the existing office building into a multiple dwelling with 91 dwelling units with a new amenity area at the rear of the building.

At one time I worked in 22 Frederick, I guess reusing some older office space as residential makes sense ih the current market.
(01-20-2023, 02:16 PM)neonjoe Wrote: Planning Application: 22 Frederick St
To convert the existing office building into a multiple dwelling with 91 dwelling units with a new amenity area at the rear of the building.

At one time I worked in 22 Frederick, I guess reusing some older office space as residential makes sense ih the current market.

Where did you find that info? I did a quick Google and didn't turn anything up.
(01-20-2023, 02:22 PM)SF22 Wrote:
(01-20-2023, 02:16 PM)neonjoe Wrote: Planning Application: 22 Frederick St

Where did you find that info? I did a quick Google and didn't turn anything up.

This wonderful CSV file Smile row 1177
https://app2.kitchener.ca/appdocs/openda...e_Plan.csv
(01-20-2023, 02:36 PM)neonjoe Wrote:
(01-20-2023, 02:22 PM)SF22 Wrote: Where did you find that info? I did a quick Google and didn't turn anything up.

It looks like EuroPro has decided that it has too much office space inventory and has decided that converting some of that into residential -- condo or rental is a good question. EuroPro is in the rental business but it's not clear whether they also want to do residential rentals or are looking to divest the building by turning it into a condo corporation.

Nine units per floor so I expect they'll be relatively large units, given the existing floor plate. And that, to me, would indicate that it would likely be a condo conversion.

(01-23-2023, 05:33 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-20-2023, 02:36 PM)neonjoe Wrote: This wonderful CSV file Smile row 1177

It looks like EuroPro has decided that it has too much office space inventory and has decided that converting some of that into residential -- condo or rental is a good question. EuroPro is in the rental business but it's not clear whether they also want to do residential rentals or are looking to divest the building by turning it into a condo corporation.

Nine units per floor so I expect they'll be relatively large units, given the existing floor plate. And that, to me, would indicate that it would likely be a condo conversion.

Good find! 

I'm quite interested in the 8 blocks of townhomes (48 units total) under review for 30 Margaret, added to this list on Dec 2022! I was so disappointed when the original Avenue M plans fell through at the start of the pandemic, because it's a huge lot in the heart of the city, and I know that something good can be done with it. I really hope they make something beautiful in that space, because it will really dominate the streetscape on Margaret between Queen and Victoria.
(01-20-2023, 02:36 PM)neonjoe Wrote:
(01-20-2023, 02:22 PM)SF22 Wrote: Where did you find that info? I did a quick Google and didn't turn anything up.

Amazing! This is one of the most interesting things i've see posted on this forum in years   Big Grin
My guess is that it will be rental since it's the trend in urban residential development and it ultimately keeps the property in their hands. I wonder which formerly office building will be next?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »