Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Scott (59-65 Weber E) | 11 fl | Complete
The Scott
59-65 Weber St E & 51-59 Scott St
https://the-scott.rentcafewebsite.com/
11 floors

[Image: Exterior%201.jpg]

Here are two links for this development : https://www.therecord.com/news-story/719...-property/

Link for the old proposal, are these the townhouses we are discussing?  : http://vanguarddevelopments.com/51Scott.html

I don’t recall seeing that townhouse render previously. Wasn’t the proposal for a mid-rise building with some unusual balconies built into the roofline? Townhouses would seem way below optimal density for such an urban site.
(02-17-2019, 04:57 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I don’t recall seeing that townhouse render previously.  Wasn’t the proposal for a mid-rise building with some unusual balconies built into the roofline?  Townhouses would seem way below optimal density for such an urban site.

Was two proposals for the corner 59-65 Weber Street at 10 or 11 stories.  One about 15 years ago? and then Urbanfund.  My link to the Vanguard proposal was the three Scott Street buildings, until Urbanfund bought the three houses.

The 15 year old article was in the Record, I will try to get a photo copy.
Thanks for creating this thread Square! That's the render I'd been talking about in the other thread. This one's on the courthouse side of weber as opposed to the other which is the Galeria side of Weber.
The foundation permit has been approved for this project as well as a couple more demolition permits.
The permit for the remainder of the building still shows the Permit Status "Status Letter Sent".
This is for the "south-east" corner of Weber at Scott? What is the proposal?
In a older Record article, they mentioned a 11 story building, same height as the "north - east" corner building. I have yet to see a render tho.

I don't think we've seen an "official render" for either corner.
Ya I think there's maybe just been a number of visions for the property, and who knows what it is now. I have a feeling it's not the townhouses though.
That corner could definitely use some love. Shame they didn't also buy 71 Weber St E - quite an ugly one story brown building, with a sizeable footprint.
Also, there is a surface lot across the street, for a proposed 11-story building (around 79 - 86 Scott) - is there a thread for this development?
Demolition has started for the Houses. One of them got demolished today and the other one is probably going to be demolished tomorrow. Lots of action in Downtown Kitchener today Rolleyes
I'm shocked that with demolition started there's still no clear understanding of what's being built here
(04-25-2019, 06:18 AM)Spokes Wrote: I'm  shocked that with demolition started there's still no clear understanding of what's being built here

I wonder if they were demolished to prevent potential problems with people breaking in to them and staying there? If I'm remembering correctly Julian Ichim had some sort of plan that involved him being given one of these houses to open a shelter/overdose prevention site. Maybe the property owner decided it would be safer to do the inevitable demo before the development plan was finalized to avoid having to deal with other possible issues.

(04-25-2019, 06:29 AM)BruceAshe Wrote:
(04-25-2019, 06:18 AM)Spokes Wrote: I'm  shocked that with demolition started there's still no clear understanding of what's being built here

I wonder if they were demolished to prevent potential problems with people breaking in to them and staying there? If I'm remembering correctly Julian Ichim had some sort of plan that involved him being given one of these houses to open a shelter/overdose prevention site. Maybe the property owner decided it would be safer to do the inevitable demo before the development plan was finalized to avoid having to deal with other possible issues.

If I owned a vacant property and I heard that Julian Ichim knew about the existence of the property I would probably demolish it forthwith. Developers don’t need that kind of trouble…

From the city's work permit database:
Quote:Permit is for a new 11 storey mixed use building with one level underground parking garage. See foundation, under slab plumbing and site servicing permit # 18-128557.

Granted to Weber Investments GP Inc.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »