Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Waterloo Transit & Ring Road
(09-06-2015, 08:53 AM)Canard Wrote: I still think the best way to prevent speeding (and to encourage gentle, smoother, more economical driving) would be to manditate that fuel consumption must be displayed in a non-switch-offable section of the vehicle's instrument cluster.

Careful. People might notice how much all the gratuitous stop signs cost them.

In a country (continent) of so many SUVs and pickups, I doubt this would fly. I was shocked recently when I had rented an economy car, only to find out only a Silverado pickup was available. The previous renter had averaged 20L/100km, with a 'best' of 15. Within no time at all, I had a 'best' of just under 9, and held it there for a weekend. If you had to go to a truck driver and explain that they were complaining about a 5% increase in gas prices, while using 100%+ more fuel than they needed, there'd be pitchforks.

Even then, the ratings only went as high as 40L/100km, which was achievable with even light acceleration from stop/on hills/on highways. Would. Not. Fly. Ignorance is bliss.
I guess I'm the minority. I'm very proud of my 4.4 and 4.6 L/100 km lifetime averages on my two vehicles (310 000 and 165 000 km, respectively). I still think it could help.
I think for many people it could help.  But others will ignore it, as Viewfromthe42 pointed out.

My average fuel economy over 50K to date is far higher than yours (a bigger car with a bigger engine) but for the same model, I'm in the top 5% on Fuelly.  Not bad.  And for sure I adjusted my driving habits after getting this car, which has the fuel consumption display front and centre.  Now, the next step is to drive less.
(09-08-2015, 06:52 AM)Canard Wrote: I guess I'm the minority. I'm very proud of my 4.4 and 4.6 L/100 km lifetime averages on my two vehicles (310 000 and 165 000 km, respectively). I still think it could help.

It can be helpful when you can do good. But outside of golf, there are few competitions where we will reliably sign up, knowing we will fail. You need only listen to the engine of a truck to tell that its owner is up there averaging 16, even 20 L/100km. When they know the bar for success is half or almost just a third of that, frustration takes over. I'm similarly proud of efficiencies I get on my vehicles, but it's because I can drive well enough to get those efficiencies.
Not sure that a discussion of fuel economy is that germane here - conventional cars generally have a higher fuel efficiency at speeds of 50-80 km/h than at a speed of 30 km/h, so discussion of safe speeds for sharing the street with people on foot is a different discussion than fuel efficient speeds.
Had my first commute to work since the change.
Takes a little bit longer, going around the far side of campus, making lefts on to Ring Road, and hitting the new stop sign on that side.
My new exit stop is Columbia, but the bus actually let me and another person off while waiting at the red light. The other person was going to campus, and seemed a little lost.

Optometry's coffee shop isn't open for the season yet... :'(

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »