Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
21 Weber St W + 149-151 Ontario St N | 20 fl | Proposed
Noticed today that the site is for sale

That's not good.

I was excited for this one to hopefully build some momentum on the Weber street side of DTK
My assumption is that the property owner went through the approval process only to enhance the value of the property prior to putting it on the market, not with an actual intent to build.
(07-21-2020, 08:21 AM)tomh009 Wrote: My assumption is that the property owner went through the approval process only to enhance the value of the property prior to putting it on the market, not with an actual intent to build.

I sometimes think that the City should be able to roll back zoning amendments if a site is put up for sale rather than being developed as proposed.
The for sale sign still says 21 storey building, didn't the City lower it?
(07-22-2020, 11:49 PM)Square Wrote: The for sale sign still says 21 storey building, didn't the City lower it?

I thought it was the developers who revised the tower down to 14 storeys.
(07-23-2020, 09:30 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 11:49 PM)Square Wrote: The for sale sign still says 21 storey building, didn't the City lower it?

I thought it was the developers who revised the tower down to 14 storeys.
I think the developer lowered it to 14, after the city told them?, is this a reason they put it back on sale?

But what did the zoning amendment allow?
What's the status on this? Did it really get cut down to 14 floors? What would be the point, when there is a 39 floor condo going up on the next block?
I am certainly not an inside on this, but i would hazard a guess this is dead. This project had no parking, which for some reason some people are really against. Not sure why the city would make them cut 6 stories, but it probably had to do with parking. Because of the Heritage element i think the developer needed a minimum #of floors to make it worth it and the city wasn't willing to play ball.
(09-04-2020, 08:22 AM)westwardloo Wrote: I am certainly not an inside on this, but i would hazard a guess this is dead.

Not dead, but being sold. The property owner may or may not ever had an intent to actually do the development. At this point they have some kind of agreement with the city, so they will be able to leverage that to find a buyer or a get a better price, from someone that actually wants to develop this project.

14 stories or 21, that remains to be seen.
I think 14 would be unfortunate given the demand and other projects we're seeing
Agreed, yes.

Fire this morning at 151 Ontario Street:
https://kitchener.citynews.ca/police-bea...er-5241450
That solves the problem of the heritage building... (hopefully it actually is okay, but sometimes these things look a bit fishy)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »