Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Rave takes over LRT train: A group of artists turned an LRT train into an all-out rave Saturday night

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video/c2834...-lrt-train

Hi There, a group of students from the University of Waterloo and some long time Tritag members are trying to rebuild the TriTag Organization. Such an organization can bring awareness to important urban issues that were identified in this forum (those regarding cycling infrastructure/ local and regional bus/train service and the airport). Please DM me on WRC if you want a link to the organizational group chat.
Dare I ask how the Ion is holding up in this storm? Or is no news good news?
(01-12-2024, 11:18 PM)nms Wrote: Dare I ask how the Ion is holding up in this storm?  Or is no news good news?

Based on the service alerts there has been 2 cancelled trips on the LRT tonight but those happened right around the heaviest snow so it appears that it's held up so far. Not having any freezing rain has certainly helped.
(01-13-2024, 12:27 AM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 11:18 PM)nms Wrote: Dare I ask how the Ion is holding up in this storm?  Or is no news good news?

Based on the service alerts there has been 2 cancelled trips on the LRT tonight but those happened right around the heaviest snow so it appears that it's held up so far. Not having any freezing rain has certainly helped.

If you look at TransSee.ca

https://www.transsee.ca/operatechart?a=g...y=on&ok=OK

You can see that it was the same tram, the light blue line that starts going horizontally instead of diagonally upwards and ending at Fairway station in time to leave

If you click on that line to view the trip path you can see the one that should have left Conestoga Station at 7:55pm went to the barn, and then went back out to be the 9:40pm tram leaving Conestoga and was 5 minutes late doing so.

That seems like some weird failure that was fixed, but who knows why they didn't send out a replacement tram from the barn to start a R&T Park instead of having that 30 minute gap in there.

That decision is kinda tone-deaf after the clear community anger at a suggested reduction to 30-minute evening service.
It appears there were some cancelled trains again last night. Something caused trips between Fairway and GRH to be cancelled, then 50 minutes later the entire system went down.

Waiting for them to Tweet out something like "Route 301 ION light rail leaving Fairway Station on July 20, 2024 at 1:00 p.m. towards Conestoga Station is cancelled due to beautiful clear skies and sunshine."
Last week (Saturday morning?) I happened to see a southbound train at Victoria/Charles that had it's rear hitch cover open. It wasn't clear it had simply been left open, or if the unit had used the hitch for some reason.

(01-15-2024, 10:18 PM)nms Wrote: Last week (Saturday morning?) I happened to see a southbound train at Victoria/Charles that had it's rear hitch cover open.  It wasn't clear it had simply been left open, or if the unit had used the hitch for some reason.

It definitely wasn't just that one LRT, I was on 4 different ones on the weekend and every single one had the coupler panel in the open position on both ends. The only thing that I could think of is if the trains lost power in the event of ice build up on the catenary lines it would allow Keolis to easily tow the trains back since the coupler is accessible. However if one can open the coupler panel without the train having any power then that ideas completely wrong.
They open those when we have heavy snow. Maybe that the panels don't break?
During severe weather, it seems to be standard practice to couple LRVs for extra traction, or to recover them with the shunter, so I assume they open the access panels preemptively now. The night of that huge ice storm last February, they were all running coupled just to limp back to the OMSF.
I guess so they don't ice over when in the lower position, in case access to the coupler is needed.
(01-14-2024, 07:30 AM)ac3r Wrote: It appears there were some cancelled trains again last night. Something caused trips between Fairway and GRH to be cancelled, then 50 minutes later the entire system went down.

Waiting for them to Tweet out something like "Route 301 ION light rail leaving Fairway Station on July 20, 2024 at 1:00 p.m. towards Conestoga Station is cancelled due to beautiful clear skies and sunshine."

This is a normal Saturday (the 6th) evening/night service pattern.

This was this past Saturday (the 13th).

You can see that the 503 was taken out of service, for some reason, at Grand River Hospital station at 10:35pm and not replaced. That particular trip leaves Conestoga Station at 10:10pm then turns around and leaves Fairway Station at 11:00pm and arrives back at Conestoga Station at 11:44pm and then goes out of service and back to the barn.

At this time of night on a Saturday only two more trams leave Fairway Station, and they both did, but you can see that something happened to the penultimate tram from around Central Station. Then neither those two nor the final tram into Fairway Station completed their final loop.
Crash involving ION train in Kitchener
No pictures

Waterloo Regional Police Arrest an Impaired Driver After a Collision with LRT Train

The driver was observed striking a fire hydrant, hitting roadway curbs, and driving on the LRT tracks where a collision occurred with an occupied LRT train. Police were able to locate the vehicle and stop the driver.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »