Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Local media are really not on their LRT hating game anymore. We discussed all this more than two weeks ago!

(07-09-2020, 08:04 PM)tomh009 Wrote: For example, it's possible that the filler metal alloy was not correct for the duplex-type steel used in the Flexity frames.

Ya, with that kind of stuff, one can make a nice looking weld with the wrong filler metal that would be a hit on instagram but it could look like an aero bar on the inside. I'm sure in the case of the LTR welds they aren't full of holes or anything like that since there's a few different and fast ways to do NDT on weldments, I'd guess it's more to do with the weld design than anything the actual welders did.
(07-10-2020, 08:28 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Local media are really not on their LRT hating game anymore. We discussed all this more than two weeks ago!

I guess they have bigger fish to fry. When they had the story, I was surprised it was a 20 second spot, if that.
In the latest council of the whole agenda for the Wednesday the 16th they will be discussing TES-TRS-20-19 about restoring GRT & ION service.

https://calendar.regionofwaterloo.ca/Cou...3#page=154
Is there any update on when transit will be open for non-essential trips?
That will be discussed at Wednesday's meeting.
Quote:The main services being restored are:
• ION train (301) and bus service (302) increase to 10 minutes weekday 7:00am to 7:00pm
• All iXpress routes increase to 15 minute service
• Service frequencies increased on Routes 1, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 16, 19, 20, 57, 203
• Route 10/110 frequencies increased weekdays 7:00am to 6:00pm
• BusPLUS service on Routes 73, 76, 901 reinstated

Conventional services not restored and/or removed are:
• Extra peak trips serving the universities and college – Routes 7, 12, 13, 10, 19, 29, 31, 61, 201, 202
• Reduced evening service - Routes 3, 4, 22, 56, 57, 60
• Services with trips removed after midnight –ION bus (302), Routes 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 16, 19, 201
• Route 55 will continue with reduced frequency but will operate in both directions

ION services not restored and/or removed
• Weekday, Saturday and Sunday - trips removed after midnight will not be restored
• Weekday service after 10:30pm reduced to 30 minutes from 15 minutes
• Weekday service before 5:00am will not operate and service frequency before 6:00 will reduce to 30 minutes from 15 minutes
• Saturday - Southbound service before 5:25am will not operate and Northbound service before 6:00am will not operate
• Sunday – Southbound service before 6:20am will not operate and Northbound service before 7:00am will not operate. Southbound service frequency before 7:40am will reduce to 30 minutes from 15 minutes. Northbound service frequency before 8:30am will reduce to 30 minutes from 15 minutes.
(07-13-2020, 09:12 PM)tomh009 Wrote: That will be discussed at Wednesday's meeting.
Quote:The main services being restored are:
• ION train (301) and bus service (302) increase to 10 minutes weekday 7:00am to 7:00pm
• All iXpress routes increase to 15 minute service
• Service frequencies increased on Routes 1, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 16, 19, 20, 57, 203
• Route 10/110 frequencies increased weekdays 7:00am to 6:00pm
• BusPLUS service on Routes 73, 76, 901 reinstated

Conventional services not restored and/or removed are:
• Extra peak trips serving the universities and college – Routes 7, 12, 13, 10, 19, 29, 31, 61, 201, 202
• Reduced evening service - Routes 3, 4, 22, 56, 57, 60
• Services with trips removed after midnight –ION bus (302), Routes 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 16, 19, 201
• Route 55 will continue with reduced frequency but will operate in both directions

ION services not restored and/or removed
• Weekday, Saturday and Sunday - trips removed after midnight will not be restored
• Weekday service after 10:30pm reduced to 30 minutes from 15 minutes
• Weekday service before 5:00am will not operate and service frequency before 6:00 will reduce to 30 minutes from 15 minutes
• Saturday - Southbound service before 5:25am will not operate and Northbound service before 6:00am will not operate
• Sunday – Southbound service before 6:20am will not operate and Northbound service before 7:00am will not operate. Southbound service frequency before 7:40am will reduce to 30 minutes from 15 minutes. Northbound service frequency before 8:30am will reduce to 30 minutes from 15 minutes.

Not liking the changes. You want us who can to get rid the of the car, well, you guys made it much harder to do so.

These are permanent changes?
(07-14-2020, 09:25 AM)panamaniac Wrote: These are permanent changes?

I don't think so, although it wasn't explicitly stated. We're still in COVID-19 (recovery) mode.
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/region-of-w...-1.5073339

Quote:The region says it will receive liquidated damages of $2.2 million and Bombardier will also be providing one additional LRT vehicle at no extra cost.

As expected, this means the loaner vehicle we're getting while they do welding repairs will become a permanent part of the fleet.

The one additional train is enough to improve peak service from every 8 minutes to every 7 minutes.
Glad we get to keep it, a 'loaner' really didn't make sense. They'd have needed to swap a cab and rewire the video and automation systems to sell it to the Eglinton Crosstown, or add modules, rewire, and refurnish it for Edmonton. I can't imagine that would be any cheaper than just building new.
(08-21-2020, 06:38 AM)KevinT Wrote: Glad we get to keep it, a 'loaner' really didn't make sense. They'd have needed to swap a cab and rewire the video and automation systems to sell it to the Eglinton Crosstown, or add modules, rewire, and refurnish it for Edmonton. I can't imagine that would be any cheaper than just building new.

I am guessing with Bombardier sellings its rail division, this is just the cost of doing business.
There is a New ION Car sitting in CP Lambton yard with no number on it of all things.

It could be going to Thunder Bay for final insulation of equipment.

(08-22-2020, 05:50 PM)drum118 Wrote: There is a New ION Car sitting in CP Lambton yard with no number on it of all things.

I saw the picture, and while I can't confirm, I don't think that was a ion car. It looked like it was grey and not blue, and I could not tell for certain due to the angle, but it looked like a single ended car that engligton uses.
(08-22-2020, 08:35 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:
(08-22-2020, 05:50 PM)drum118 Wrote: There is a New ION Car sitting in CP Lambton yard with no number on it of all things.

I saw the picture, and while I can't confirm, I don't think that was a ion car. It looked like it was grey and not blue, and I could not tell for certain due to the angle, but it looked like a single ended car that engligton uses.

According to this Twitter posting, it actually is for Waterloo:

https://twitter.com/chrisjamesdrew/statu...9138318339

I’m a bit unclear on how they know that however. Will this be The Dress of 2020?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress

Also just wondering about the single-ended comment. As far as I know, the exterior shape of the Eglinton cars is identical to ours; the difference is that instead of one of the cabs there is more passenger space.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »