Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
4/6 - Sunday, August 4, 2016

Note.

Speed limit signs have gone up along the Waterloo Spur!  Sadface - only 50 km/h between Seagram and University.  Sad

40 km/h on approach to stations - this one, University.

40 km/h approach to Seagram.

40 km/h around the curve into University.

5/6 - Sunday, August 4, 2016

The only 70 km/h stretch I found was between R+T Park and University.

The Traction Power Substation at Columbia is now fenced in.

R&T Park Station is being kitted out.

R+T Park.

6/6 - Sunday, August 4, 2016

Inductive loops have appeared on the track at the Seagram station, two per side, in about the middle of the platform.

Erb/Caroline.

Southbound track curve onto Caroline, at Erb/Caroline.
(09-04-2016, 10:26 PM)Canard Wrote: 6/6 - Sunday, August 4, 2016

Inductive loops have appeared on the track at the Seagram station, two per side, in about the middle of the platform.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=2170]

I think that solves the mystery of the pink concrete cut-outs at stations:

(08-26-2016, 06:38 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: [Image: attachment.php?aid=2078]
The pink cutouts aren't at stations - they're at intersections and are inductive loops for the check-in/check-out points for redundant train sensing at intersections.
But still inductive loops, no?
Yes and no - I'm not convinced it's for the same system, because the "pink ones" are for traffic signals (vehicle/automotive traffic signals). There aren't any signals like that at Seagram - only the railway crossings, and there's no inductive loops on the North side of the tracks - only two on the platform. So I'm more inclined to think the ones that I spotted at Seagram are to tell a signalling system that "a train is sitting here" when it covers both of the loops fully.

(09-04-2016, 10:25 PM)Canard Wrote: [Image: attachment.php?aid=2158]

Very happy to see the streetlights integrated into the catenary poles, here - hopefully those wooden ones will come down afterward!

I like the streetlights integrated into the catenary poles, but too bad they are going with conventional cobrahead luminaires and arms instead of luminaires on the catenary poles that were more decorative/contemporary/urban. You'd think that at least in the areas where one of the BIA's has jurisdiction (the UpTown BIA has jurisdiction on this stretch of King) and can pitch in a bit of funding for streetscaping elements that something a little better could have been used.

I am thinking something along the lines of what was used on St. Clair Ave West in Toronto (albeit no on the catenary poles, but could easily have been done): https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6867645,-...56!5m1!1e1
(09-05-2016, 11:12 AM)The85 Wrote: You'd think that at least in the areas where one of the BIA's has jurisdiction (the UpTown BIA has jurisdiction on this stretch of King) and can pitch in a bit of funding for streetscaping elements that something a little better could have been used.

Given the existing contract with Grandlinq, making changes (even if someone else is pitching in money) becomes a non-trivial undertaking.
Personally I think these look ok and and relatively modern. I hate frilly-scrolly-gingerbready things, though. The ones you show on St Clair are ok, too. Almost nautical!

The ones on Weber at the new grade sep there are sublime.
I'm just wondering how come they aren't installing the new LED fixtures on the poles, given the entire region will be going through an upgrade over the next 18 months or so. I've spotted the older sodium lamps on the new poles downtown on Queen at Charles, I believe.

Checked out the crossing at Wilson Ave. today, and the embedded track is all in. The surrounding road just needs to be paved and it should be ready to go.
(09-05-2016, 05:26 PM)razzie13 Wrote: I'm just wondering how come they aren't installing the new LED fixtures on the poles, given the entire region will be going through an upgrade over the next 18 months or so. I've spotted the older sodium lamps on the new poles downtown on Queen at Charles, I believe.

Checked out the crossing at Wilson Ave. today, and the embedded track is all in. The surrounding road just needs to be paved and it should be ready to go.

I've noticed that too and it appears that the electrical subcontractor is recycling and reusing cobrahead high pressure sodium fixtures in their inventory (likely ones taken down earlier in construction) as an interim solution before LED fixtures are rolled out in coming months. Keep in mind the electrical subcontractor is installing these fixtures - not the local hydro utilities as per usual practice.

The Region's illumination policy currently calls for full cutoff (darksky friendly) fixtures on all regional roads (when new lights installed or rebuilt), and some of the fixtures installed so far on new poles aren't even full cutoff fixtures, which leads me to believe this is just a temporary solution and they're just installing whatever they have for now to just light the roads.
What makes you guys think they won't be installing LED fixtures? The photos I posted don't show any fixtures installed yet.

(09-05-2016, 07:26 PM)Canard Wrote: What makes you guys think they won't be installing LED fixtures? The photos I posted don't show any fixtures installed yet.

I'm just basing my assumption on what has already been done in some sections that are further along in construction (photos from previous posts in this thread):

[Image: CNyUJrm.jpg]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=2090][Image: Vg8fH8q.jpg]
I see! I hadn't noticed that, thanks. That is quite curious.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »