Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Bad driving and surface running rapid transit meet again.

[Image: MvYPbD1.jpg]

One starts to wonder whether it's intentional ....
90% of the LRT accidents are brought to you by Jay Fencing!
https://mobile.twitter.com/threestations...9734325249

Apparently Waterloo has Canada's only electrified mainline railway tracks.
Huh...I guess that's true. Sad...but technically true.

I wonder if the electrical systems could actually supply a mainline locomotive though. In some ways you think no way that would be built to those standards, we're just moving around a few little LRVs. But then you also look at how ridiculously overbuilt our system is (with the significant exception of pedestrian and station infra...because you know...wouldn't wanna spend too much on that) and frankly, it's possible that it would.
(10-07-2022, 02:41 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I wonder if the electrical systems could actually supply a mainline locomotive though. 

It couldn't, as those trains must take the gauntlet tracks at Laurier, UW, and R&T, so the catenary would not be aligned properly.
(10-07-2022, 03:05 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(10-07-2022, 02:41 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I wonder if the electrical systems could actually supply a mainline locomotive though. 

It couldn't, as those trains must take the gauntlet tracks at Laurier, UW, and R&T, so the catenary would not be aligned properly.

How far do the gauntlet tracks move the trains away from the stations? The catenary isn't a precise alignment, it's meant to shift around in fact, within some limits.

(10-07-2022, 04:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-07-2022, 03:05 PM)KevinL Wrote: It couldn't, as those trains must take the gauntlet tracks at Laurier, UW, and R&T, so the catenary would not be aligned properly.

How far do the gauntlet tracks move the trains away from the stations? The catenary isn't a precise alignment, it's meant to shift around in fact, within some limits.

The gauntlet can't be more than a 6 inch offset. I suspect an electric loco would have no trouble going slowly along the spur.
(10-07-2022, 08:15 PM)jwilliamson Wrote:
(10-07-2022, 04:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: How far do the gauntlet tracks move the trains away from the stations? The catenary isn't a precise alignment, it's meant to shift around in fact, within some limits.

The gauntlet can't be more than a 6 inch offset. I suspect an electric loco would have no trouble going slowly along the spur.

I believe it’s actually closer to 30cm, but that’s just a nitpick. I don’t know how much of an offset could work, but that doesn’t matter, because a second wire could be strung above the offset track. It might also be possible to just move the wire towards the offset track; I don’t know how widely it weaves back and forth normally but I wouldn’t be surprised if the gauntlet offset is within that range.
(10-07-2022, 02:41 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I wonder if the electrical systems could actually supply a mainline locomotive though. In some ways you think no way that would be built to those standards, we're just moving around a few little LRVs. But then you also look at how ridiculously overbuilt our system is (with the significant exception of pedestrian and station infra...because you know...wouldn't wanna spend too much on that) and frankly, it's possible that it would.

Power requirements really depend on acceleration, maintaining speed is easy. LRVs accelerate significantly faster than freight, which balances the electrical demand somewhat. I'm sure with sufficiently slow acceleration it could work in theory.

In practice, we have 750 VDC electrification. Common for trams, subways, occasional commuter rail, but not used by freight. So any locomotive would have to be custom for our system. At that point you could have a custom adjustable offset pantograph for the gauntlet track... but we're way into fantasy land.
(10-08-2022, 03:05 AM)taylortbb Wrote:
(10-07-2022, 02:41 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I wonder if the electrical systems could actually supply a mainline locomotive though. In some ways you think no way that would be built to those standards, we're just moving around a few little LRVs. But then you also look at how ridiculously overbuilt our system is (with the significant exception of pedestrian and station infra...because you know...wouldn't wanna spend too much on that) and frankly, it's possible that it would.

Power requirements really depend on acceleration, maintaining speed is easy. LRVs accelerate significantly faster than freight, which balances the electrical demand somewhat. I'm sure with sufficiently slow acceleration it could work in theory.

In practice, we have 750 VDC electrification. Common for trams, subways, occasional commuter rail, but not used by freight. So any locomotive would have to be custom for our system. At that point you could have a custom adjustable offset pantograph for the gauntlet track... but we're way into fantasy land.

I think using our 1-2 km of spur line track for electrified freight movement is already fantasy.
Since we're in the realm of fantasy, how about this scenario:

1. Metrolinx finally electrifies the Kitchener corridor
2. CN uses the Kitchener corridor as a proof of concept for electric freight haulage since the catenary is in place (CN bought their first battery electric locomotive in November 2021; they last operated a pantograph electric locomotive in 1995)
3. The Waterloo spur is used as a test bed for short haul freight service up to Elmira, either using a catenary the whole way, or some other battery operated solution.
(10-08-2022, 12:20 PM)nms Wrote: Since we're in the realm of fantasy, how about this scenario:

1. Metrolinx finally electrifies the Kitchener corridor
2. CN uses the Kitchener corridor as a proof of concept for electric freight haulage since the catenary is in place (CN bought their first battery electric locomotive in November 2021; they last operated a pantograph electric locomotive in 1995)
3. The Waterloo spur is used as a test bed for short haul freight service up to Elmira, either using a catenary the whole way, or some other battery operated solution.

I mean, that's at least a plausible story...I could suspend my disbelief.

And frankly...it's more plausible than battery freight locomotives I think.

I recently wrote to some Regional Council candidates for Waterloo asking them about the LRT headways being not as promised (where's our 8 minute headways?) and complaining about this past summer's 15 minute headways. Let's see if anyone says anything.

(I also wrote about allowing rock climbing on GRCA land.)
(10-08-2022, 06:12 PM)plam Wrote: I recently wrote to some Regional Council candidates for Waterloo asking them about the LRT headways being not as promised (where's our 8 minute headways?) and complaining about this past summer's 15 minute headways. Let's see if anyone says anything.

(I also wrote about allowing rock climbing on GRCA land.)

I got the following response from Neil Malcom on October 4th:

Hi Cory – apologies for the delay in responding and thank you for your messages on this topic.  At this point in time we are still completing vehicle warranty work and feel it would be best to have that work fully completed before a move to improved headway is made for ION LRT.  The current headway is able to support ridership at this time.

We have started budget planning for 2023, which will include consideration ION headway improvements as part of that discussion.

Thanks,
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »