Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highland Square | 15 & 16 fl | U/C
Highland Square
220 Ira Needles Blvd, Kitchener, ON N2N 3K6
Unknown Developer
No Website
 Architect:  SRM Architects 
 Strik, Baldinelli Moinz and MTE Consultants and Horizon Concrete: engineering. 

(05-21-2019, 11:57 AM)kalis0490 Wrote: Galena Towers
220 Ira Needles Blvd, Kitchener, ON N2N 3K6

Unknown Developer
No Website

Source: http://www.horizon-concrete.com/projects/galena-towers,

Architect:  SRM Architects 
 Strik, Baldinelli Moinz and MTE Consultants and Horizon Concrete: engineering. 

Thanks for this.  Glad it has a name.
I feel that my previous post about this project would be appropriate here:

"I have found some new information concerning the mysterious towers at Ira Needles and Highland.

According to http://www.horizon-concrete.com/projects/galena-towers, The project will be called 'Galena Towers' and will contain a 15 story apartment building and a 16 story apartment building. From Google maps, it appears that the architect is SRM Architects and that Strik, Baldinelli Moinz and MTE Consultants are in charge of the engineering.

This will be the largest suburban condo tower development in the region. What is amazing is that just 10 years ago, a 16 storey development anywhere in Kitchener would have been rare and fascinating."
(05-21-2019, 01:02 PM)kalis0490 Wrote: This will be the largest suburban condo tower development in the region. What is amazing is that just 10 years ago, a 16 storey development anywhere in Kitchener would have been rare and fascinating."

As in *new* development? Otherwise there have been quite a few. Though not suburban, the towers on Wilson by Fairway were built maybe 10-15 years ago, and I believe are 18 or 19 floors each.

I think the towers out by the Conestoga College are taller, and were built only a couple years ago. If I recall correctly, they're 17 floors a piece. What does make this development more unique than most is that it literally is on the outskirts of town.
Thanks for posting more info on this mystery project
This project is really coming along, and is very noticeable when in the Ira Needles area.
Is this really a condo development, rather than a rental? I would have expected pre-sales for a condo project.

(09-08-2019, 09:10 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Is this really a condo development, rather than a rental? I would have expected pre-sales for a condo project.

I thought this was a rental building...did I miss something?
(09-09-2019, 08:40 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 09:10 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Is this really a condo development, rather than a rental? I would have expected pre-sales for a condo project.

I thought this was a rental building...did I miss something?

It was the quote from kalis0490:

(05-21-2019, 01:02 PM)kalis0490 Wrote: This will be the largest suburban condo tower development in the region. What is amazing is that just 10 years ago, a 16 storey development anywhere in Kitchener would have been rare and fascinating."
(09-09-2019, 09:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 08:40 PM)jeffster Wrote: I thought this was a rental building...did I miss something?

It was the quote from kalis0490:

Oi! Gotcha. This is an apartment building, so it will be all rentals...
Drove by here the other day and both buildings appeared to be topped out with cladding going up on the bottom few levels. 

These stand out nicely in the area and really make a statement. wish we saw more suburb developments like this.

I will try to snag a picture next time I drive by.
(12-24-2019, 02:16 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: Drove by here the other day and both buildings appeared to be topped out with cladding going up on the bottom few levels. 

These stand out nicely in the area and really make a statement. wish we saw more suburb developments like this.

With all due respect Bjays93, you must not live in the area. Not only are these buildings an eye sore in that they don’t blend in with the community, I can’t begin to imagine the havoc it will reek at an already exceptionally busy roundabout once occupied. I feel so bad for the homes on Newbury Drive that back on to Highland. They have lost any sense of privacy they once enjoyed. Cricket
(03-13-2020, 08:29 AM)Cricket Wrote:
(12-24-2019, 02:16 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: Drove by here the other day and both buildings appeared to be topped out with cladding going up on the bottom few levels. 

With all due respect Bjays93, you must not live in the area. Not only are these buildings an eye sore in that they don’t blend in with the community, I can’t begin to imagine the havoc it will reek at an already exceptionally busy roundabout once occupied. I feel so bad for the homes on Newbury Drive that back on to Highland. They have lost any sense of privacy they once enjoyed. Cricket

As for the looks of these buildings, that is subjective. Personally I think they look really good. Not awesome, but they're good. These are rentals, something the city needs, so unsure what else we'd expect.

As for traffic it will cause, that will be very minimal. It's not like we have thousands of people moving into those apartments.

As for the handful of homes that might be affected, too bad. The city can't continue to build out and have more urban sprawl, it's not the right move. Too many people have a NIMBY attitude, build anywhere but close to me. That said, I can't see the having a major affect on them.

But literally, there is about 4 to 6 homes that MIGHT have a view of the tower. The trees lining Highland are fairly high so I think those tree would obstruct the view of the towers anyway.

04-08-20

They look about as good as could be expected for that area of the city (I don't mind them at all). I just wouldn't want to see any more buildings that look like these in the Uptown/Downtown or University areas.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »