Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID-19 construction starts
So, how many projects have started construction since the start of the pandemic? Not so many, but there are definitely some. Here is what I came up with:
  • Ophelia (242-262 Queen St S)
  • Civic 66 (Weber, Scott and Pearl Pl)
  • Otis (51 David St)
  • Elevate Condos
What else has started since then? Breithaupt Block Phase III started demolition/excavation before ... but when did the construction start?

Edits:
Added Otis and Elevate on 2020-02-05

Station Park ?
(12-11-2020, 01:15 PM)tomh009 Wrote: So, how many projects have started construction since the start of the pandemic? Not so many, but there are definitely some. Here is what I came up with:
  • Ophelia (242-262 Queen St S)
  • Civic 66 (Weber, Scott and Pearl Pl)
What else has started since then? Breithaupt Block Phase III started demolition/excavation before ... but when did the construction start?

I think it really depends what you define "construction" as. When heavy equipment arrives? When the crane goes up? The Breithaupt Block crane is after the pandemic started, but they had already excavated significantly, and I'd generally consider that a part of the construction process. Ophelia had heavy equipment on-site in 2019.
It's a good point. Really, it should be the big commitment by the developer, when does it get expensive for the developer to pull out? Arbitrarily, we could either say "first concrete pour" or "excavation start".

Both of those would fit Ophelia and Civic 66. The first one might fit Station Park or Breithaupt as well.

Are there any new starts in Waterloo? Or Cambridge?
In Waterloo, 199-205 Albert and Building 4 at Phillip Square were both empty lots at the beginning of the year. District Condos was doing pile driving at the beginning of March.
I think the Drewlo project downtown started at around the beginning of the pandemic, though I believe the site had been prepped prior to it.

Market Flats also started fairly recently.
(12-11-2020, 04:14 PM)ac3r Wrote: I think the Drewlo project downtown started at around the beginning of the pandemic, though I believe the site had been prepped prior to it.

Market Flats also started fairly recently.
Drewlo started before and so did market flats, drewlo had one tower crane up I'm January and they had dug market flats before the pandemic and parts of the foundation done in January

Drewlo started sometime during the Renaissance period !!!!
Added Otis to the list.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »