Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
45 Duke St W | 19 fl | Proposed
Address: 45 Duke St, Kitchener
Developer:
Project: 19 storey residential building

Heritage impact assessment: https://lf.kitchener.ca/WebLinkExt/DocVi...age=1&cr=1
Record article: https://www.therecord.com/news-story/940...-building/
Render

There were already posts about this in the general updates thread, can a mod move them?
(06-01-2019, 12:54 PM)taylortbb Wrote: There were already posts about this in the general updates thread, can a mod move them?

It's on the to-do list!
Between this and the Ontario/Weber proposal there's some big potential for change here coming down the pipeline
Any updates on this one?
Jack's has closed recently, I know that.
(09-18-2019, 05:33 PM)KevinL Wrote: Jack's has closed recently, I know that.

Jacks always closes for the season -- is this time for good?

They haven't closed yet, though? They haven't even had their closing for the season party, which is next week.
Ah, I saw a notice about closure and presumed it had already passed.
If this project goes ahead that city block will hardly be recognizable in a few years, with Young Condos, the 5 storey office building on the former Mayfair Hotel site, 48 Ontario renovations and expansion and 45 Duke St.
Much the same as a lot of DTK. I still remember what it was like when I moved away from Waterloo Region for university in 2003. Wow the change
(09-22-2019, 09:45 PM)Spokes Wrote: Much the same as a lot of DTK.  I still remember what it was like when I moved away from Waterloo Region for university in 2003.  Wow the change

Yeah, at this point, anyone who's be absent from KW wouldn't even recognize Waterloo (university area), it's not even close to what it was. DTK is also changing quickly, and in 3 years it will have been transformed. Another huge change is the drive down Homer Watson. Lots of action of both sides of the street.

That said, other cities have changed a lot too -- Toronto and Mississauga mainly. They have changed enough the past 10 years that if you haven't been there...just...wow. That's all you can say. Though in Toronto's case -- not sure if it's really a positive. 10 years ago you could park in DTT and still manage to get out in good time. Not anymore. And not thanks. Mississaugaville isn't bad yet, but it has become big city looking. Really beautiful city.
Re DTK, I returned from a recent visit and asked a friend, also originally from K-W, "how is it possible for a city to change so much and still be the same?" Perhaps all the current construction will be enough to make it seem like a different place in my mind.

(09-23-2019, 08:58 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Re DTK, I returned from a recent visit and asked a friend, also originally from K-W, "how is it possible for a city to change so much and still be the same?"  Perhaps all the current construction will be enough to make it seem like a different place in my mind.

I think once Station Park, the transit hub, Google expansion are up and going, 100 Victoria and Garment, Drewlo, Arrow, City Centre, Charlie West and DTK, plus some of the smaller ones are completed, it will have been transformed. For now, there isn't a hell of a lot extra to look at, though it's a lot different from 15 years ago but not too much (court house, City Centre I, The Regal, Google, 1 Victoria and 100 Victoria). Charlie West and DTK are both landmark buildings -- those two alone will be transformative. Some of the smaller buildings (like Berra) and mid size (Iron Horse) has changed the look and feel of driving down Queen St.

I imagine too, it's how much you pay attention. I have noticed the growth in Toronto and Mississauga. Perhaps many wouldn't. Other cities, like London or even Hamilton haven't changed too much, though Hamilton has changed a bit. But buildings like City Centre II (Young Condo), Drewlo, Duke Tower Kitchener, Garment St and Charlie West are more standouts, perhaps Arrow and 100 Victoria as well, and besides those 2, they'll be the tallest in DTK.

If those other proposals go as planned + The Metz, which is close enough to DTK, that area will be unrecognizable from today.

Locally, the university area and Barrel Yard in Waterloo has changed that city. 15 years ago it basically had no skyline. Now it does. Waterloo doesn't look like Waterloo from the past, anymore.
Skyline-wise, the change might not be as noticeable. At street-level, Uptown Waterloo, Midtown and DTK are basically unrecognizable.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »