Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1425 Block Line Rd | 12 & 8 fl | U/C
(09-28-2019, 04:32 PM)[jeffster Wrote:
(09-28-2019, 04:17 PM)razzie13 Wrote: Huge concrete pour happened today on site

HA! I just responded about that in the Drewlo thread. I don't think I've seen anything quite like this pour before, it was massive. I'm hoping someone somewhere took a picture -- it looked like a giant robotic spider when coming southbound on Homer Watson.
I don't have a picture of this pour but they did the same thing 2 weeks earlier on the Saturday and I was able to get a photo of that.  Unfortunately the angle I was facing the concrete pumps means they don't look like a giant robotic spider in this photo!  Still pretty cool.

[attachment=6453]

Edit: not sure why that's upside down...

When I open it in a new tab, Chrome fixes it. Weird.
Me too. Weird.

Which keeps me from looking like a fool holding my laptop upside down. (Which I had initially done)
(10-02-2019, 08:06 AM)mastermind Wrote:
(09-28-2019, 04:32 PM)[jeffster Wrote: HA! I just responded about that in the Drewlo thread. I don't think I've seen anything quite like this pour before, it was massive. I'm hoping someone somewhere took a picture -- it looked like a giant robotic spider when coming southbound on Homer Watson.
I don't have a picture of this pour but they did the same thing 2 weeks earlier on the Saturday and I was able to get a photo of that.  Unfortunately the angle I was facing the concrete pumps means they don't look like a giant robotic spider in this photo!  Still pretty cool.

Edit: not sure why that's upside down...

And here I thought we were talking about a new development in Kitchener, NSW, Australia...  Big Grin

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kitche...82373,15z/
The picture orientation probably has to do with which way you held the phone when taking the picture. The orientation is encoded in the EXIF tag.
(10-02-2019, 11:38 AM)Acitta Wrote: The picture orientation probably has to do with which way you held the phone when taking the picture. The orientation is encoded in the EXIF tag.

Bingo! As to why Chrome doesn't follow the orientation tag, it apparently is due to a recommendation from w3.org to ignore orientation exif metadata for legacy reasons. Presumably when the image is displayed on its own, Chrome doesn't care about css3 standards anymore, and applies the necessary transformations. https://www.w3.org/TR/css3-images/#image-orientation
(10-02-2019, 11:54 AM)jamincan Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 11:38 AM)Acitta Wrote: The picture orientation probably has to do with which way you held the phone when taking the picture. The orientation is encoded in the EXIF tag.

Bingo! As to why Chrome doesn't follow the orientation tag, it apparently is due to a recommendation from w3.org to ignore orientation exif metadata for legacy reasons. Presumably when the image is displayed on its own, Chrome doesn't care about css3 standards anymore, and applies the necessary transformations. https://www.w3.org/TR/css3-images/#image-orientation
When I hold my phone in landscape, I don't know which way is 'upside down' lol.  Both ways look like they could be right.

(10-02-2019, 12:02 PM)mastermind Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 11:54 AM)jamincan Wrote: Bingo! As to why Chrome doesn't follow the orientation tag, it apparently is due to a recommendation from w3.org to ignore orientation exif metadata for legacy reasons. Presumably when the image is displayed on its own, Chrome doesn't care about css3 standards anymore, and applies the necessary transformations. https://www.w3.org/TR/css3-images/#image-orientation
When I hold my phone in landscape, I don't know which way is 'upside down' lol.  Both ways look like they could be right.

What if you are hanging upside down from a bungee cord when you take the picture.... do CSS3 Standards even think of this?  #rookies

Coke
The raft slab for the first building looks to be Almost complete. The second buildings raft slab looks to have been started to some extent at least the "working floor." The crane base is on site for that building. The underground  walls are up for about a third of the first building. Most of the excavation looks to be done.
What's a raft slab?
(11-01-2019, 08:59 PM)Spokes Wrote: What's a raft slab?
the slab of concrete that the entire building sits on. Basically the massive first concrete pour on every development. mastermind posted a photo of the first raft slab pour for this development on pg 3 (the upside down photo).
Thanks! That was a new term for me.
They have about half of the underground walls done from the site entrance off of blockline to the edge of the building on homerwatson, and as they keep on progressing i keep on wondering where the rebar is. They only have it sticking out in one place (a corner) for the next floor whereas with other developments along the entire wall there is rebar popping up every 6 inches. the only reason i would think they would do this is if they drill into the concrete and add a piece of rebar that way. but would that not weaken the buildings strength? Could somebody explain this to me?

(11-07-2019, 07:28 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: They have about half of the underground walls done from the site entrance off of blockline to the edge of the building on homerwatson, and as they keep on progressing i keep on wondering where the rebar is. They only have it sticking out in one place (a corner) for the next floor whereas with other developments along the entire wall there is rebar popping up every 6 inches. the only reason i would think they would do this is if they drill into the concrete and add a piece of rebar that way. but would that not weaken the buildings strength? Could somebody explain this to me?

ZEBuilder to your question, I was looking in the hole a bit more closely.  You can see plenty of short walls down in the basement that have tons of rebar sticking out the top of them.  It looks to be a precast concrete building going on top of these, and it looks like the load bearing walls are perpendicular to the exterior wall, and they are all down in the basement so far. 

Therefore the exterior wall is just a retaining wall, and any walls that will sit on it will not be structural.  As for the bits at the two corners where you mentioned that there are rebars sticking out, the structure must turn 90 degrees in that last unit, and therefore those particular portions of the wall are load bearing.  Once they start installing precast I bet you'll be able to tell by which way the floor slabs sit.
(11-12-2019, 09:36 PM)mastermind Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 07:28 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: They have about half of the underground walls done from the site entrance off of blockline to the edge of the building on homerwatson, and as they keep on progressing i keep on wondering where the rebar is. They only have it sticking out in one place (a corner) for the next floor whereas with other developments along the entire wall there is rebar popping up every 6 inches. the only reason i would think they would do this is if they drill into the concrete and add a piece of rebar that way. but would that not weaken the buildings strength? Could somebody explain this to me?

ZEBuilder to your question, I was looking in the hole a bit more closely.  You can see plenty of short walls down in the basement that have tons of rebar sticking out the top of them.  It looks to be a precast concrete building going on top of these, and it looks like the load bearing walls are perpendicular to the exterior wall, and they are all down in the basement so far. 

Therefore the exterior wall is just a retaining wall, and any walls that will sit on it will not be structural.  As for the bits at the two corners where you mentioned that there are rebars sticking out, the structure must turn 90 degrees in that last unit, and therefore those particular portions of the wall are load bearing.  Once they start installing precast I bet you'll be able to tell by which way the floor slabs sit.
Thanks Mastermind for your explanation. when I saw them bring in the precast yesterday I realized that they wouldn't need the same amount of rebar required in a building like Charlie West or Duke tower.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »