Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West 5
Generally I hate suburban development. But the main reason is because for the last 5 or so decades we build subdivisions that are completely disconnected from the rest of the city then build strip malls for people to drive to and shop. This model is awful in terms of provided transit, community building, it Favors big box stores as opposed to mom and pop shops and list goes on. My issue with Kitchener last develop-able land is we seem to be continuing to build subdivisions like the 60's just with smaller lots. We should be encouraging more mixed use development and require a minimum density target for the last couple acres the city can develop. I feel like Markhams new subdivisions have started to require a more complete, connected and walk-able housing developments in the last decade. 

Here is an example of development on the edge of London. They seem to be looking at created a new community village that focuses more on providing a walk-able neighborhood with retail on the main floor and residential on the floors 2-5. 

This is the type of development I wish the boardwalk/ Sportsworld had inspired to be instead of a sea of empty parking spaces with chain box stores. Obviously people on the west side needed a convenient place to shop I just wish there was a bit of a visionary when i came to that development. On that note I think south Kitchener will need something similar to the boardwalk in the next decade so I hope the city/developer has a bit of courage to do something different and provide a true community hub for the residence.

Love to see the parking tucked inside the blocks, as well.
Isn't Williamsburg kind of like this development? At least, it seems that the intention was there.
(11-29-2019, 02:21 PM)westwardloo Wrote: This is the type of development I wish the boardwalk/ Sportsworld had inspired to be instead of a sea of empty parking spaces with chain box stores. Obviously people on the west side needed a convenient place to shop I just wish there was a bit of a visionary when i came to that development. On that note I think south Kitchener will need something similar to the boardwalk in the next decade so I hope the city/developer has a bit of courage to do something different and provide a true community hub for the residence.

I'll second what the user above me said regarding Williamsburg.

As for The Boardwalk -- you'd have need both Kitchener and Waterloo agreeing on the development, being that it straddles the two cities 50%/50% -- however, the entire piece of land is basically at city limits as well, and likely too close to the dump to have any appeal for most people. I am guessing that Sportsworld could not be or wasn't zoned for residential for whatever reason.
(11-29-2019, 02:51 PM)timc Wrote: Isn't Williamsburg kind of like this development? At least, it seems that the intention was there.

The intention was there.  You could see that at one point they had that goal, or wanted to show it that way, but the kind of stopped half way there.

There are parts of Stouffville that are like that (then again there are parts that are a suburban nightmare)
The thing about the boardwalk being part of two cities is true. Which I feels just reinforces the fact that we need to amalgamate two completely different planning departments for a couple cities that outsiders would have no idea where one begins and another ends. Its ridiculous. 

In terms of it being on the edge of the city, so is the west 5 development. I get the garbage dump thing so that could potentially effect its marketability. I just feel like the boardwalk was close to trying something new then decided to build a sea of parking spaces in front of box stores. 

Sports world could have been zoned differently. They were planning the lrt it would have helped the business case if they had zoned the hole area around moose winooskis a mixed use. 

Williamsburg had good intentions, but ultimately is a failed sad attempt at greating a village feal. They basically started with half a block then gave up built a giant park lot and a sobeys. And a stip mall across the street. They also don't have residential above the retail..
(11-30-2019, 07:58 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(11-29-2019, 02:51 PM)timc Wrote: Isn't Williamsburg kind of like this development? At least, it seems that the intention was there.

The intention was there.  You could see that at one point they had that goal, or wanted to show it that way, but the kind of stopped half way there.

There are parts of Stouffville that are like that (then again there are parts that are a suburban nightmare)

I also find that the area immediately around SJAM high school feels like it is somewhere rather than the usual suburban nowhere. It doesn’t extend out very far and doesn’t really change the larger neighbourhood much but I find the immediate area to feel more comfortable than a lot of suburban places.

Directly across the street especially
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »