Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
The Junction | 37 & 33 fl | Proposed
I noticed there is fencing around the property this project is proposed on. Could something be happened here? Or do you think it's just to prevent homeless people from squatting there? I feel like it's more likely the latter since a few properties downtown have been fenced off to keep people off of them and this has often been a popular spot for them to camp out in the past (for years now, really).

(09-11-2022, 06:51 PM)ac3r Wrote: I noticed there is fencing around the property this project is proposed on. Could something be happened here? Or do you think it's just to prevent homeless people from squatting there? I feel like it's more likely the latter since a few properties downtown have been fenced off to keep people off of them and this has often been a popular spot for them to camp out in the past (for years now, really).

I had the same question when I walked by it yesterday. If the fence is meant to keep people out it's not going to work because it's missing from the back and one side. More of an illusion of blocking the property than actually functional.
I believe this is the property but not entirely sure.

New application submitted for 787 King St East.

The applicant is proposing a mixed use development containing residential and commercial uses. The entire development proposes a residential unit count of 932 units with a Floor Space Ratio (FSR) of 5.0. Two residential towers with heights of 37 and 33-storeys are proposed and are located along Charles Street East with 2-storey podiums containing ground floor retail / commercial uses including a grocery store daycare and retail units facing the street. Back-to-back stacked townhouse dwellings are proposed fronting onto King Street East.
Based on previous comments it looks like it is Dov Capital who is doing Victoria and Park
Yes this would be the correct property. They have been doing alot of geotechnical work throughout the property for the last two/three weeks, they've done a soil sample seemingly every 15 feet all around the property.
(04-19-2023, 10:26 AM)ZEBuilder Wrote: Yes this would be the correct property. They have been doing alot of geotechnical work throughout the property for the last two/three weeks, they've done a soil sample seemingly every 15 feet all around the property.

Welcome the geology of Waterloo Region!  If the soil pollution in a brownfield doesn't get you, the highly variable soil (sand, clay, whatever) will.
Yup, glaciation left one mess and the erosion since has made it worse.

A mod should update the thread title for this one: The Junction | 37 & 33 fl | Proposed

Interesting that they're potentially designing the project to include enough space for a grocery store. If that indeed happens, then that'll be 2 new grocery stores downtown (here and Station Park).
(04-19-2023, 11:28 PM)nms Wrote:
(04-19-2023, 10:26 AM)ZEBuilder Wrote: Yes this would be the correct property. They have been doing alot of geotechnical work throughout the property for the last two/three weeks, they've done a soil sample seemingly every 15 feet all around the property.

Welcome the geology of Waterloo Region!  If the soil pollution in a brownfield doesn't get you, the highly variable soil (sand, clay, whatever) will.

Definitely sand around here. Everywhere around Sandhills Park (between Peter and Charles Street) is very sandy. I was doing some consulting work for a big project nearby on Madison and had to explain to the developer how sandy the area is. Alas, the developer lost interest once they learned how costly the work would be (in addition to some other issues).
Remember, the first settlers called Kitchener Sandhills...
There are a lot of barrels on the property here, especially near what I believe are natural gas lines? There are a bunch of blue pillars on the property though which I assume are for gas but I have no idea.
(05-05-2023, 08:15 AM)ac3r Wrote: There are a lot of barrels on the property here, especially near what I believe are natural gas lines? There are a bunch of blue pillars on the property though which I assume are for gas but I have no idea.

Those are all new from when they did all the soil sample work two or three weeks ago, the blue pillars are wells for groundwater/soil samples, the barrels are from when the did all of that soil sample work.
Thanks! I guess blue...water...should be obvious haha. I thought gas was blue but perhaps not.

I wonder if this is planned to start soon. I'm interested in seeing the project.

(05-05-2023, 09:41 AM)ac3r Wrote: Thanks! I guess blue...water...should be obvious haha. I thought gas was blue but perhaps not.

I wonder if this is planned to start soon. I'm interested in seeing the project.

Dov Capital still has their Park and Vic project first so this feels like it'll be a while away, unless they do both at the same time. It's also only been in site plan approval for less than a month so it won't be starting soon.
(05-05-2023, 09:41 AM)ac3r Wrote: Thanks! I guess blue...water...should be obvious haha. I thought gas was blue but perhaps not.

Gas is yellow, telecoms orange. Actually it might be wires orange, although it feels like a separate colour for power wouldn’t be a bad idea.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »