Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mississauga Developments
Massive redevelopment of Square One might take place over the next couple decades. 

https://www.cp24.com/news/massive-37-tow...-1.4777077

This and the large redevelopment of the shoppers world in Brampton have me thinking when is it kitchener/Waterloos turn? 

https://www.inbrampton.com/updated-visio...t-revealed

Obviously both these communities are closer to Toronto and would theoretically feel the demand for intensification of land before us, but there are similarities between these two malls and the two in KW. mostly they are both on the new hurontario LRT line. Neither of the malls were struggling financially.  Are Cadilac Fairview and Ivanhou Cambridge dropping the ball not coming up with a strategic 20yr+ redevelopment plan for the in KW malls? I would love to see either one turn into something like they are building at shoppers world. I will admit that I don't shop at either mall, I find traffic horrendous in both places and its a little too far on the lrt for me to justify. I prefer to do my shopping walking in the downtowns or online. 

I think That the cambridge centre could also redevelop into a smaller version of these plans when/ if the lrt ever makes it way into cambridge.

CF has already started, albeit, a smaller redevelopment in the parking lot lands of Fairview Park.

Hopefully the full long term project ends up like this

https://www.gspgroup.ca/projects/grand-market-district/

The first few phases include the redevelopment of Sears, a new multi use building where the auto centre used to be and a new multi use building fronting fairway in front of walmart. Further down the road they have 4 condos planned for the kingsway rd side by the food court.

http://cfgrandmarketdistrict.com/content...ionPkg.pdf
(01-21-2020, 04:15 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Massive redevelopment of Square One might take place over the next couple decades. 

This and the large redevelopment of the shoppers world in Brampton have me thinking when is it kitchener/Waterloos turn? 

Obviously both these communities are closer to Toronto and would theoretically feel the demand for intensification of land before us, but there are similarities between these two malls and the two in KW. mostly they are both on the new hurontario LRT line. Neither of the malls were struggling financially.  Are Cadilac Fairview and Ivanhou Cambridge dropping the ball not coming up with a strategic 20yr+ redevelopment plan for the in KW malls? I would love to see either one turn into something like they are building at shoppers world. I will admit that I don't shop at either mall, I find traffic horrendous in both places and its a little too far on the lrt for me to justify. I prefer to do my shopping walking in the downtowns or online. 

I think That the cambridge centre could also redevelop into a smaller version of these plans when/ if the lrt ever makes it way into cambridge.

CF has large plans for their Fairview Park Mall (as shown in a different thread). Not as massive as this, mind you, but as it stands we have limited space to develop (part of the new development includes new builds (apartments and condos) behind the mall off of Kingsway and across the street at the Best Buy/Cineplex property.
and that doesnt include this project which is already started on the south side of Burnhamthopre..

https://mcitycondoslife.ca/
(01-21-2020, 04:15 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Massive redevelopment of Square One might take place over the next couple decades. 

The Mississauga thing is a development beside Square One, not a redevelopment of Square One, unfortunately.
(01-21-2020, 06:10 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The Mississauga thing is a development beside Square One, not a redevelopment of Square One, unfortunately.

What is wrong with Square One? Not including the parking lots, which are apparently slated to be replaced by mixed-use development.
Doesn't Yorkdale have development plans as well?

I thought it was the parking lot of square one, but i see now it is the land to the north of it.  I think there are about ten malls/ strip malls in the GTA that are being completely redeveloped into a mixed use. Would love to see something like this on a much smaller scale, a dense mixture of 4-8 story buildings. Something like this could take place along fairway road or along king and north field. I know the that both the city of Waterloo and the city of Kitchener are in the process of rezoning the area's around the transit stations. I just wonder how long it will take to come to fruition, probably at least a decade out from landowners/ developers taking on these types of developments in KW.  
(01-21-2020, 07:02 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 06:10 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The Mississauga thing is a development beside Square One, not a redevelopment of Square One, unfortunately.

What is wrong with Square One? Not including the parking lots, which are apparently slated to be replaced by mixed-use development.

I think it's this thing that we talk about sometimes. Square One and all malls make me uncomfortable as not-actually-public spaces that are solely devoted to consumerism and where the protections of the public sphere don't hold. I don't enjoy interacting with panhandlers and would like our society to have real solutions, but having them out of sight is not a solution.

By the way, it's not just Wellington that has awnings outside stores. Even tiny Elora-sized towns around Wellington have them. They're mostly not glass but rather opaque.

Obviously both these communities are closer to Toronto and would theoretically feel the demand for intensification of land before us, but there are similarities between these two malls and the two in KW. mostly . Neither of the malls were struggling financially.  Aren't they are both on the new hurontario LRT line. Cadilac Fairview and Ivanhou Cambridge dropping the ball not coming up with a strategic 20yr+ redevelopment plan for the in KW malls? I would love to see either one turn into something like they are building at shoppers world. I will admit that I don't shop at either mall, I find traffic horrendous in both places and its a little too far on the lrt for me to justify. I prefer to do my shopping walking in the downtowns or online. 
'

"they are both on the new hurontario LRT line"

I may have missed this and don't want to take away from the thread.. but... didn't Brampton veto LRT access to the city?
"I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly."
They are still building it it will terminate Shoppersworld now
(01-23-2020, 11:16 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: They are still building it  it will terminate Shoppersworld now

Thanks for the information
"I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly."
(01-23-2020, 09:12 PM)plam Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 07:02 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: What is wrong with Square One? Not including the parking lots, which are apparently slated to be replaced by mixed-use development.

I think it's this thing that we talk about sometimes. Square One and all malls make me uncomfortable as not-actually-public spaces that are solely devoted to consumerism and where the protections of the public sphere don't hold. I don't enjoy interacting with panhandlers and would like our society to have real solutions, but having them out of sight is not a solution.

By the way, it's not just Wellington that has awnings outside stores. Even tiny Elora-sized towns around Wellington have them. They're mostly not glass but rather opaque.

It doesn’t need to be re-developed to fix that. Just change the ownership to the city and the status of the main corridors to being streets (closed to vehicle traffic, presumably).

Knocking the whole thing down and rebuilding without roofs spanning the spaces between the buildings seems like an overreaction.

(01-24-2020, 09:42 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 09:12 PM)plam Wrote: I think it's this thing that we talk about sometimes. Square One and all malls make me uncomfortable as not-actually-public spaces that are solely devoted to consumerism and where the protections of the public sphere don't hold. I don't enjoy interacting with panhandlers and would like our society to have real solutions, but having them out of sight is not a solution.

It doesn’t need to be re-developed to fix that. Just change the ownership to the city and the status of the main corridors to being streets (closed to vehicle traffic, presumably).

Knocking the whole thing down and rebuilding without roofs spanning the spaces between the buildings seems like an overreaction.
Yet developers all over Canada seem to see potential dollars by redeveloping these relics from the 1960's into mixed-use neighborhoods. To name a few Oakridge, brentwood, lougheed, Galleria, cloverdale, Agincourt, even yorkdale which is probably the most successful mall in Canada has plans to build residential towers where parking currently sits. There is money in it for these developers. They are coming to realize that a sea of free parking makes them no money. It is only a matter of time until developers in the region see this opportunity. I think some of the smaller malls in the region could see plans for redevelopment in the next decade. Frederick st mall is prime for redevelopment into one of these neighbourhoods.
(01-24-2020, 10:42 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 09:42 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: It doesn’t need to be re-developed to fix that. Just change the ownership to the city and the status of the main corridors to being streets (closed to vehicle traffic, presumably).

Yet developers all over Canada seem to see potential dollars by redeveloping these relics from the 1960's into mixed-use neighborhoods. To name a few Oakridge, brentwood, lougheed, Galleria, cloverdale, Agincourt, even yorkdale which is probably the most successful mall in Canada has plans to build residential towers where parking currently sits. There is money in it for these developers. They are coming to realize that a sea of free parking makes them no money. It is only a matter of time until developers in the region see this opportunity. I think some of the smaller malls in the region could see plans for redevelopment in the next decade. Frederick st mall is prime for redevelopment into one of these neighbourhoods.

Now you’re talking about something different — building stuff on the existing parking lots, which if I understand correctly is what is planned for Square One. I’m talking about not knocking down a perfectly functional shopping district just to fix a public space ownership/status problem.

There is absolutely zero incompatibility between enclosed malls and mixed-use area. Imagine an entire city block covered by a 5-story podium with towers rising out of it. Ground floor is shopping. Next floor is medical offices, dentist, therapist, and so on. Remaining 3 floors are commercial office space. Towers are residential. If warranted, there can be basement parking levels.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »