Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frederick and Lancaster | 10fl | Proposed
Not sure if a thread has been started yet for this. Figure one should be started as it is officially going ahead. I have a few preliminary photos and site plan. More will be presented on February 10th meeting. 

Two questions...

Is the current Rome building basically being built around and almost hidden inside of this? It's the part with the canopy/overhang right? Am I looking at it wrong?

What does the "road widening assumed" mean? Widen Lancaster?
The current Rome building and its garage are being kept. They are the darker buildings at the bottom of the overhead drawing. The whole development is to the east of the old heritage house. The old buildings just isn't shown on the building depiction drawings. 

The "road widening assumed" is where they aren't building as it would be used to widen Lancaster street. However, I don't get how Lancaster street could ever be widened as there is no room to widen other then literally the section of Lancaster shown on that drawing.
(01-30-2020, 11:56 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: Two questions...

Is the current Rome building basically being built around and almost hidden inside of this? It's the part with the canopy/overhang right? Am I looking at it wrong?

What does the "road widening assumed" mean? Widen Lancaster?
No, they didn't include the Rome building in the 3d renderings. You can see it in the site plan. 181 fredrick. There is about 8m between the heritage building and the condo. 

Road widening would definitely be allocation for future widening of lancaster. I don't see that happening to the whole road though as there are heritage homes along lancaster on the other side of federick.
Has this been approved?
(01-31-2020, 10:10 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Has this been approved?
Yes, infiltrated a neighbourhood meeting where they complained about the process. The building had a slight variance to to raise the in the FSI from 2.33 to 2.7 or something. It allowed the building to be from 8 floors to 10 floors. The 5 other people at the meeting (only 1 other person was actually from my neighbourhood association) where also up in arms because it is not the same set back as the Tim Hortons. But it was approved by the city planners so city council has no say. The classic traffic Armageddon was a big concern, but then they started ranting about how these projects don't have enough parking.  

It was an interesting meeting, these people are dedicated and either retired or stay at home parents so all they have is time. They want to start a development committee to oppose all developments that don't fall within the current zoning. I can understand if a developer wants to build a 25 story tower in the middle of an established suburbs, but this is on the edge of Downtown.
(01-31-2020, 10:38 AM)westwardloo Wrote: stay at home parents so all they have is time

Have you ever been a stay at home parent? Because this is one of the most ignorant assertions I've seen in a long time.

Finally some quality architecture, I wish we were seeing this in Uptown as well... but what we're getting is overdecorated nostalgia architecture.
(01-31-2020, 10:45 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 10:38 AM)westwardloo Wrote: stay at home parents so all they have is time

Have you ever been a stay at home parent? Because this is one of the most ignorant assertions I've seen in a long time.
I meant no offence, I probably worded that wrong. I understand that it is a full time job for some people, but these aren't new baby parents I am taking about. Their kids are midschool age. Still lots of work to be done and its great that some people can still afford to stay at home while they raise their kids.
(01-31-2020, 10:52 AM)urbd Wrote: Finally some quality architecture, I wish we were seeing this in Uptown as well... but what we're getting is overdecorated nostalgia architecture.

I like the scale and the shape of it, but I'd want to know more about the cladding materials - it could end up looking pretty busy, no?  The render looks like there are at least six or seven different finishes just on the Frederick St facade, which could be fine or could be a bit of a mess.
(01-31-2020, 11:08 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 10:52 AM)urbd Wrote: Finally some quality architecture, I wish we were seeing this in Uptown as well... but what we're getting is overdecorated nostalgia architecture.

I like the scale and the shape of it, but I'd want to know more about the cladding materials - it could end up looking pretty busy, no?  The render looks like there are at least six or seven different finishes just on the Frederick St facade, which could be fine or could be a bit of a mess.
This is still a very preliminary design. We will find out more about the building on February 10th.  I would expect the form to pretty much stay the same, but more information on cladding choices at that presentation.
This looks like a grab bag of random cladding. Hopefully some actual renders are released as it's hard to judge what it'll look like from a CAD drawing.
(01-31-2020, 05:17 PM)ac3r Wrote: This looks like a grab bag of random cladding. Hopefully some actual renders are released as it's hard to judge what it'll look like from a CAD drawing.
Definitely hard to tell at this point. Although In my opinion it looks to be a higher quality design than most of the projects in the region. I really like the building form.

I'm wondering how 250 Frederick ever got approved. https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4548345,-...m2!1e4!1e1
(01-31-2020, 11:49 PM)Square Wrote: I'm wondering how 250 Frederick ever got approved.  https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4548345,-...m2!1e4!1e1

I am guessing that access to info and getting info out to the public wasn't as easy as it is today. But yeah, today, that building would have a hard time being built without neighbours within a 50KM radius being upset. (I know, it's not 50KM, but I do enjoy exaggerating a little now and then)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »