Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Halifax developments
Sorry for continously cross posting from other forums, but I would like to show what is possible with development in terms of unique/ quality design  that I think the region is severely lacking. Sure we have a lot to talk about and good things are happen, but nothing like this in Halifax.

https://www.commerciallistings.cbre.ca/e...=isLetting
[Image: 83618323_1308044402716183_51059399456341...e=5EBD1940]

The rendering reminds me of developments in Zurich. It's also kind of in the middle of a rather non-walkable area of Halifax it seems to me though. I guess there's a bit of stuff but maybe like King and Pandora in Kitchener? I understand it's easier to develop where there isn't already stuff but I wonder about getting critical mass.
This is true, it is in a nieghbourhood the is pretty unwalkable. This is the quality that outside of downtown is getting ing halifax. They are also building some pretty nice ones in the core. Also we did just build an lrt with I would say, at least 5 stations in currently in unwalkable neighborhoods. Developments like these could change that. Imagine something like this at the brockline site instead of the  current proposal. Or this jumpstarting residential development near conestoga mall or northfield?
All right, I'll bite ... how would you suggest we get more "quality" buildings in the region?
Drool. That's pretty damn awesome IMO
How about this... The city has a contest for new innovative designed building in the core. The winner gets development fees waived.
(02-17-2020, 01:08 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: How about this...  The city has a contest for new innovative designed building in the core.  The winner gets development fees waived.

Building for what?

(02-17-2020, 11:35 AM)tomh009 Wrote: All right, I'll bite ... how would you suggest we get more "quality" buildings in the region?

A lot of our zoning is still terrible. Even in areas near downtown around LRT stations they often require significant setbacks, side yards, etc. It's like our planners can't help but write suburban zoning rules, because it's all they know. Sure, they allowed things to be taller around LRT stations, but there's more to being urban than being taller. 

In the actual suburbs nothing has changed at all. Zoning remains as 1970s as ever.
(02-17-2020, 11:35 AM)tomh009 Wrote: All right, I'll bite ... how would you suggest we get more "quality" buildings in the region?
No idea, maybe a design review panel is what we need. Maybe when developers are looking to build beyond zoning, cities allow it on condition of final approval of design. Maybe host an architecture and development night and just continuosly show pictures of well designed buildings being built around Canada to get the point accross that yes we want development and yes we want density, but we would also like a bit time put into the design. There must be multiple ways that other city's have encouraged higher design practices. Look at what they are building in kamloops and kelowna right now. Maybe there are just better architecture firms out west/ east. I don't know. Obviously with quantity there has to be a couple quality building built.
I just don't see what is so exciting about this rendering. It looks like something that would be pitched in Northdale. In reality, it doesn't actually end up looking like the drawing.
(02-17-2020, 07:27 PM)timc Wrote: I just don't see what is so exciting about this rendering. It looks like something that would be pitched in Northdale. In reality, it doesn't actually end up looking like the drawing.
I wasn't sure if I should justify this with a response, but you got me. Sure you may not like the style, completely acceptable. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what not. But come on this is nothing like northdale renders/ buildings. Ground floor retail, 2 stories podium, unique patterned panelling to break up the blank walls, cleam lines, use of 3 building materials that go extremely well together. Obviously all in my opinion, but to compare it to northdale.
I don't think it affects your argument much, but I do think it's important to note that Northfield and Northdale are different areas of Waterloo.
(02-18-2020, 10:13 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: I don't think it affects your argument much, but I do think it's important to note that Northfield and Northdale are different areas of Waterloo.
You are correct my mistake was definitely talking about Northdale.

(02-17-2020, 09:14 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(02-17-2020, 07:27 PM)timc Wrote: I just don't see what is so exciting about this rendering. It looks like something that would be pitched in Northdale. In reality, it doesn't actually end up looking like the drawing.
I wasn't sure if I should justify this with a response, but you got me. Sure you may not like the style, completely acceptable. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what not. But come on this is nothing like northdale renders/ buildings. Ground floor retail, 2 stories podium, unique patterned panelling to break up the blank walls, cleam lines, use of 3 building materials that go extremely well together. Obviously all in my opinion, but to compare it to northdale.

I do think we have projects here that meet your criteria. Charlie West. Garment Street. Strata. 185 King St S. Maybe Station Park.

Those may not win architectural awards, but they meet the criteria above -- and at least in my opinion they look at least as good as the Halifax project, while still fitting within the space constraints of urban development.
Don't get me wrong I don't hate every development happening in in the region. In my opinion they are just not as refined as projects happening in other parts of the county.  Obviously i don not expect to see Vancouver level of unique building being proposed. I also admit that Vancouver definitely has a vast amount of stinkers in terms of design (the city went through an awful sea foam spandrel panel phase).  All of the building listed above I am looking forward to seeing the final product. Although Station park is neither extraordinary nor completely offensive, in my mind it is just a large infill project. Which is disappointing because it was suppose to be a standout project in the region.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »