Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Park Towns | U/C
Not sure if posted. Do we have a sub thread for this development? It's hard to keep up with all of them haha

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...ne-2129049

I saw that article last night, no thread yet.

Had anyone else even heard of it?
So, does this still count as "downtown"? It seems suburban to me, even if it's 1960s suburbia rather than modern suburbia.
It's definitely not downtown. It's on the other side of the expressway (though I'm not saying that's necessarily the defining boundary; if anything, the line is closer in).
Oh this is definitely suburban, didn't realize that's where it got put. Nice catch!
I presume it's this property?
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4605991,-...312!8i6656

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Rosemou...80.4627958
How is the pricing vs. other comparable towns in the area?  It's obviously not downtown but certainly not as far out as the developments on the S/W side of Kitchener.

(03-02-2020, 11:42 AM)KevinL Wrote: I presume it's this property?
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4605991,-...312!8i6656

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Rosemou...80.4627958

Thats the one. Could be better, could be worse. The towns are 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom, single car garage on the front. The back to backs are 2br, 1.5 bath with 1 car garage.

Too bad they couldn't grab a property on the other side somewhere to make a passthrough. Park location is nice, hope its more than just the lawn shown here. Doesn't look like theres much parkwise in that area.

https://www.strawberrypark.ca/townhomes

[Image: fezkHCY.png]
That is a weird hold in that neighbourhood. Anyone know why it was there in the first place?
Never-built school or church site?  Location of a farmhouse predating the suburb (there's an interesting example of that on Pattandon Ave).
(05-20-2020, 11:38 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: That is a weird hold in that neighbourhood.  Anyone know why it was there in the first place?

It was a catholic school (Notre Dame School) closed in 2010

2010 Article

The property also fronted onto Sherwood to the south (except for the 5 homes at sherwood & rosemount). They put up the 7 pairs of semis fronting onto Sherwood in 2015. You can see how it used to look in streetview

(05-20-2020, 11:59 AM)Nextasy Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 11:38 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: That is a weird hold in that neighbourhood.  Anyone know why it was there in the first place?

It was a catholic school (Notre Dame School) closed in 2010

2010 Article

The property also fronted onto Sherwood to the south (except for the 5 homes at sherwood & rosemount). They put up the 7 pairs of semis fronting onto Sherwood in 2015. You can see how it used to look in streetview

And they didn’t put in a pedestrian path from Sherwood into the corner of the development? Unbelievable.

Also, what’s with the labyrinth of little driveways with the houses just numbered from 1 up to n? Why can’t they give each piece a name and assign the house numbers normally? It would be way better for driving directions. Almost all townhouse areas seem to be like this.
(05-20-2020, 08:54 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 11:59 AM)Nextasy Wrote: It was a catholic school (Notre Dame School) closed in 2010

2010 Article

And they didn’t put in a pedestrian path from Sherwood into the corner of the development? Unbelievable.

Also, what’s with the labyrinth of little driveways with the houses just numbered from 1 up to n? Why can’t they give each piece a name and assign the house numbers normally? It would be way better for driving directions. Almost all townhouse areas seem to be like this.

Yes, that's a bit of a shame. But it's a bit dependent. I looked at the map to look at what destinations would be in that direction, if there are no destinations, it probably makes no difference (i.e., if you're going downtown, you're going to walk far enough for the difference not to matter), but there is a convenience store and Church right at Krug which has doubled the walking distance.  I'm betting for a lot of people that's the difference between walking to Church and driving. It's still not far, but people drive lots of 1/2 km trips.

This is the type of thing that I guarantee you not one single city planner anywhere involved in this or any related project looked at.  But at least they have the one on the other side connecting to the school. That's probably the most important. Now if only there was a safe crossing of that ridiculous 1960s four lane wide residential street.

(05-20-2020, 08:54 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 11:59 AM)Nextasy Wrote: It was a catholic school (Notre Dame School) closed in 2010

2010 Article

Sherwood semis I think might have been done by a different developer who sold the remainder of the lot where this plan has now been developed? Not an excuse though. Just noticed that hilariously, they've included a very optimistic sidewalk pointing to some poor saps swimming pool on River Road hahaha.

Also, yeah it's very clear 0 thought went into this numbering. It looks like the numbering someone just came up with by counting how many units there are. When you enter, first thing you're going to see is units 56-45, which is going to be confusing as hell, and if you're looking for a number less than 45, you're going to go right (and be wrong about half the time). If you're looking for a higher number, youll go left, and immediately see nothing except 1-16, and think you've gone the wrong way, even if you haven't. It would be hard to come up with a worse consecutive number scheme than this.
(05-21-2020, 11:07 AM)Nextasy Wrote: Just noticed that hilariously, they've included a very optimistic sidewalk pointing to some poor saps swimming pool on River Road hahaha.

There is a cut-through path to River there, in fact.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »