Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telephone scams
I've started receiving an unusually high number of telephone scam calls (not typical telemarketing) in the past 24 hours...I'm up to six from the same people.

So at what point does repeated telephone scam calls qualify as harassment, and what can one do about it?

I have a Pixel phone now, which includes the call screening feature from Google. I don't know if it's available in Android generally now, but it's great. Any unknown number I receive gets screened now. Anecdotally, it seems that I don't get as many calls anymore either.
danbrotherston Wrote:I've started receiving an unusually high number of telephone scam calls (not typical telemarketing) in the past 24 hours...I'm up to six from the same people.

So at what point does repeated telephone scam calls qualify as harassment, and what can one do about it?
You're just starting to get them now? I've been getting them for years.

What can you do about it? Very little. Report it to the Anti Fraud website: then never hear from them. Stop answering calls from unknown numbers; hang up immediately if you do and realize it's a scam or answer it and mess with them. The last thing they want is for you to waste their time.
I very rarely answer a call from an unknown number. If it's from a city where I might know someone, maybe. If the first six digits of the incoming phone number (area code and exchange) are the same as my phone, I absolutely will not answer.
I never answer unknown numbers, if it's something important they leave a message. I've never had a scammer leave me a message.
(03-03-2020, 06:32 PM)clasher Wrote: I never answer unknown numbers, if it's something important they leave a message. I've never had a scammer leave me a message.

They normally use predictive dialing so won't do anything unless a human answers.
Interesting, I frequently have messages from telephone scammers.

(03-03-2020, 04:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I very rarely answer a call from an unknown number. If it's from a city where I might know someone, maybe. If the first six digits of the incoming phone number (area code and exchange) are the same as my phone, I absolutely will not answer.

Same -- it's usually the legal department from Service Canada about my SIN being suspended. And duct cleaning services. Lots of Mandarin calls as well.
Generally I ask how they clean my ducks when they've migrated south for the winter. I can usually waste 1-2 minutes of their time.
Note to self: Stop WRC robo-calls campaign.
(03-03-2020, 11:21 PM)timio Wrote: Generally I ask how they clean my ducks when they've migrated south for the winter.  I can usually waste 1-2 minutes of their time.

I had them on the phone for about 20 minutes the one time, as I was telling them about smoke damage that dirtied my ducks. Told them I had a huge multi-dwelling with well over 2000 ducks. I ended up talking to the supervisor because this job was too large for the regular worker to handle it. That's when I explained how all my ducks are dirty and they can't fly because of dirt embedded in their wings. Damn, they were pissed off.
(03-04-2020, 07:17 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 11:21 PM)timio Wrote: Generally I ask how they clean my ducks when they've migrated south for the winter.  I can usually waste 1-2 minutes of their time.

I had them on the phone for about 20 minutes the one time, as I was telling them about smoke damage that dirtied my ducks. Told them I had a huge multi-dwelling with well over 2000 ducks. I ended up talking to the supervisor because this job was too large for the regular worker to handle it. That's when I explained how all my ducks are dirty and they can't fly because of dirt embedded in their wings. Damn, they were pissed off.

That’s really good, well done!

If you want to see another talented person do this:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm22FAX...UKw/videos

He has an amazing “grandma” persona, not to mention some impressive technical abilities and a talent for improv. I’m not sure quite what it says that somebody with this much talent is spending this much time talking to scammers, but the videos are amazing.
There's always Lenny: https://www.reddit.com/r/itslenny/

(03-03-2020, 11:09 PM)jeffster Wrote: Same -- it's usually the legal department from Service Canada about my SIN being suspended. And duct cleaning services. Lots of Mandarin calls as well.

Coke
Made my day
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »