Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
So it looks like Canada/US are going to have a joint announcement over the next couple days regarding travel between the two countries:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/politics/...index.html

Quote: (CNN)The United States and Canada are preparing to issue a joint statement in the next 24-48 hours to suspend non-essential travel between the two countries, a Trump administration official tells CNN.

The agreement is not yet finalized and officials are still working to define "non-essential travel," but the official stressed that the new restrictions will ensure that business and trade between the two countries can continue.
The joint agreement would be the latest effort by the US and Canada to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus, following decisions by both countries to restrict some international travel.
Part of the discussions involve what types of vehicles and individuals would still be allowed to travel between the two countries and for what purpose, the official said. The restrictions will likely allow for significant flexibility.
Unlike travel restrictions on Europe and China, this would be a mutual agreement between the two countries.
"The Canadians have been our friends throughout this and many other crises, and they continue to be honest brokers," the official said.
When Trump was asked at the coronavirus task force briefing whether he was considering closing the US land borders on Tuesday, he said, "I don't want to say that, but we are discussing things with Canada and we're discussing things with Mexico, quite honestly, and again, the relationship is outstanding with both, outstanding. We just signed our deal, the USMCA, and the relationship is very strong."

As I was saying before, let Trump make that move, and it looks like they are. Commerce will be kept obviously because how important it is.

Those who mistakenly think this is mainly about Trump badly misunderstand the nature of the bilateral relationship, particularly Canada's needs. I've even seen misreporting on the issue in the MSM, fed, it seems, by people associated with a previous federal government.

Main thing, however, is that this is a good news story for Canada (if it comes off as hoped).
(03-18-2020, 09:19 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Those who mistakenly think this is mainly about Trump badly misunderstand the nature of the bilateral relationship, particularly Canada's needs.  I've even seen misreporting on the issue in the MSM, fed, it seems, by people associated with a previous federal government. 

Main thing, however, is that this is a good news story for Canada (if it comes off as hoped).

Well, it sort of is about Trump. Although I'd argue with any US leader, you let them make the move. But had Canada just got up and closed the border without consulting the Trump Administration would have been looking for problems as Trump because unhinged quickly.
It's not about who "makes the move," it's about crossborder activities that would be unheard of on other borders, that are commonplace across ours, and a relationship that is unique in the world. It would be insanity to think that either one of us could close the border without even consulting. Detailed negotiations would always be required.
In any event, it was Canada and not the USA that "made the move" - Minister Freeland made the proposal to U.S. VP Pence, according to today's media reports.
(03-19-2020, 09:10 AM)panamaniac Wrote: In any event, it was Canada and not the USA that "made the move" - Minister Freeland made the proposal to U.S. VP Pence, according to today's media reports.

The key was to negotiate the move rather than do it unilaterally.
Average case growth from yesterday, over the past seven days:
  • Brazil: 372 cases 39% average/day
  • Poland: 251 cases 35% average/day
  • Portugal: 448 cases 34% average/day
  • Ireland: 292 cases 31% average/day
  • Austria: 1646 cases 31% average/day
  • Indonesia: 227 cases 31% average/day
  • Germany: 12327 cases 31% average/day
  • Spain: 13910 cases 30% average/day
  • Romania: 260 cases 28% average/day
  • United Kingdom: 2626 cases 28% average/day
  • Finland: 336 cases 28% average/day
  • Malaysia: 790 cases 27% average/day
  • US: 5185 cases 27% average/day
  • Czechia: 464 cases 26% average/day
  • Canada: 407 cases 26% average/day
  • Slovenia: 275 cases 25% average/day
  • Belgium: 1486 cases 25% average/day
  • Switzerland: 3028 cases 25% average/day
  • Greece: 418 cases 23% average/day
  • Philippines: 202 cases 22% average/day
  • Australia: 267 cases 22% average/day
  • Netherlands: 2051 cases 22% average/day
  • Israel: 433 cases 22% average/day
  • France: 9043 cases 22% average/day
But US, Canada and Portugal are already up around 80% from yesterday ... and Australia is more than double yesterday.

(03-19-2020, 11:15 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 09:10 AM)panamaniac Wrote: In any event, it was Canada and not the USA that "made the move" - Minister Freeland made the proposal to U.S. VP Pence, according to today's media reports.

The key was to negotiate the move rather than do it unilaterally.

Yes, this was always the point.
Brazil bears watching - their President doesn't yet seem to be taking things seriously.
(03-19-2020, 11:31 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Average case growth from yesterday, over the past seven days:
  • Brazil: 372 cases 39% average/day
  • Poland: 251 cases 35% average/day
  • Portugal: 448 cases 34% average/day
  • Ireland: 292 cases 31% average/day
  • Austria: 1646 cases 31% average/day
  • Indonesia: 227 cases 31% average/day
  • Germany: 12327 cases 31% average/day
  • Spain: 13910 cases 30% average/day
  • Romania: 260 cases 28% average/day
  • United Kingdom: 2626 cases 28% average/day
  • Finland: 336 cases 28% average/day
  • Malaysia: 790 cases 27% average/day
  • US: 5185 cases 27% average/day
  • Czechia: 464 cases 26% average/day
  • Canada: 407 cases 26% average/day
  • Slovenia: 275 cases 25% average/day
  • Belgium: 1486 cases 25% average/day
  • Switzerland: 3028 cases 25% average/day
  • Greece: 418 cases 23% average/day
  • Philippines: 202 cases 22% average/day
  • Australia: 267 cases 22% average/day
  • Netherlands: 2051 cases 22% average/day
  • Israel: 433 cases 22% average/day
  • France: 9043 cases 22% average/day
But US, Canada and Portugal are already up around 80% from yesterday ... and Australia is more than double yesterday.

Where did you find the numbers for today?  The GofC site won't have them until later in the day.
(03-19-2020, 11:47 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Where did you find the numbers for today?  The GofC site won't have them until later in the day.

I'm using the Johns Hopkins U dashboard, and using previous day's numbers as current day will almost always be only partially updated. Alas, I think their dashboard is buckling under heavy usage load.
Locally we are now up to 12 confirmed cases, including the first two community transmissions (two females in their 20s).

https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/healt...egion.aspx
(03-19-2020, 01:14 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Locally we are now up to 12 confirmed cases, including the first two community transmissions (two females in their 20s).

With community transmission, it’s clear that Covid-19 has gone viral.  I hope there are enough medical supplies to fight this virus.

(03-19-2020, 04:44 PM)jgsz Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 01:14 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Locally we are now up to 12 confirmed cases, including the first two community transmissions (two females in their 20s).

With community transmission, it’s clear that Covid-19 has gone viral.  I hope there are enough medical supplies to fight this virus.

Probably not. I am expecting more extreme measure over the next few days. Martial Law or some sort of War Measures Act forbidding people to leave their homes except for grocery/pharmacy/medical. Slight possibility that drive-thru's survive, but with rules, but I don't it. I'm visiting a friend tonight as it might be the last time we're allowed out.

This is getting out of control. I had hoped that this was simply being blown out of proportion, but obviously that's not the case.

I stand by with what I said earlier, though, with a 20-30% unemployment rate before it gets better.
Your not going to die from this......
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »