Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
(02-01-2022, 05:12 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 01:29 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'm curious how you feel our approach has been an outlier.

I feel like we've been definitively average, less lockdowns than a lot of places, but a much stronger vaccination program, but again, with limited mandates.

As for results, certainly I think we could have done better, but we really do have to compare with top tier countries to feel bad, we did much better than average here.

Actually, it seems like almost every country has been an outlier -- but if that's the case, I guess it could be called something different.

Whatever the case, every country approached this differently, and results haven't been terrific for anyone.

The definition of outlier is different from the average, and atypical.  Saying every country is an outlier doesn't make any sense.

I really don't believe there is a single person anywhere who believes we should lock down our society in perpetuity. Not one.

There might be people who are still under the belief that a strong enough lockdown could eliminate the virus, and I don't think it's possible, certainly not without physically locking certain countries off from the rest of the world. But I digress.  That certainly was possible in March 2020, if the world has cooperated.

I certainly think we need to start planning strategies, but I stand by my earlier statement, the majority of the people who want "COVID over" aren't actually interested in long term strategies, they are interested in being permitted to live in their own delusion that COVID isn't a thing anymore. They'd probably object to something as mild as a poster saying "wash your hands" at this point, to say nothing of targeted masking, broadly improved ventilation, and vaccine requirements that I think we should implement, not just for COVID but for respiratory health in general.

Current 7-day Covid-19 cases per 100k

• Northwestern Health Unit 349.0
• Chatham-Kent Public Health 329.2
• Thunder Bay District Health Unit 326.8
• Windsor-Essex County Health Unit 288.6
• Public Health Sudbury & Districts 286.9
• Algoma Public Health 280.5
• Porcupine Health Unit 275.6
• Lambton Public Health 265.0
• Middlesex-London Health Unit 252.4
• Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit 246.3
• Peel Public Health 241.5
• Eastern Ontario Health Unit 240.5
• Niagara Region Public Health 234.7
• Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit 233.4
• Brant County Health Unit 225.5
• City of Hamilton Public Health Services 219.4
• Southwestern Public Health 203.3

• Region of Waterloo Public Health and Emergency Services 199.7

• Renfrew County and District Health Unit 194.2
• Hastings Prince Edward Public Health 191.7
• Halton Region Public Health 191.2
• Ottawa Public Health 185.9
• Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit 184.1
• Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit 182.5
• North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit 174.9
• Huron Perth Public Health 169.6
• Toronto Public Health 169.2
• Durham Region Health Department 165.6
• Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health 160.3
• Peterborough Public Health 148.7
• York Region Public Health 140.2
• Grey Bruce Health Unit 131.3
• Kingston, Frontenac and Lennox & Addington Public Health 129.3
• Timiskaming Health Unit 122.4

• TOTAL ONTARIO 199.0

Some data suggests, according to waste water calculation, that 4,000,000 Ontarians may have be infected over the past month.
(02-02-2022, 10:46 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I really don't believe there is a single person anywhere who believes we should lock down our society in perpetuity. Not one.

Oddly, my daughter would be OK with that. Aside from people like her, I do think there are some that believe we need to have lockdown/restrictions measures until Covid numbers become permanently low (as in flu low).

Just listening to Andrea Hogwart seems to suggest that.
Could you possibly edit your post to use her actual name? It's counterproductive to the discussion. I don't like her as a politician but that seems pretty disrespectful to her as a person.
(02-02-2022, 01:18 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-02-2022, 10:46 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I really don't believe there is a single person anywhere who believes we should lock down our society in perpetuity. Not one.

Oddly, my daughter would be OK with that. Aside from people like her, I do think there are some that believe we need to have lockdown/restrictions measures until Covid numbers become permanently low (as in flu low).

Just listening to Andrea Hogwart seems to suggest that.

I'll be honest, I haven't read anything Andrea Horwath has said on the topic, so you can give me a quote if you like.

But I'd be surprised if she suggested that. A lockdown in perpetuity is patently silly. A belief that we should lockdown until COVID is eradicated is, I believe at this point, chasing a unicorn, but is not the same thing.
Current 7-day Covid-19 cases per 100k

• Thunder Bay District Health Unit 330.1
• Porcupine Health Unit 329.6
• Northwestern Health Unit 319.4
• Chatham-Kent Public Health 306.6
• Public Health Sudbury & Districts 287.9
• Lambton Public Health 274.9
• Algoma Public Health 270.9
• Windsor-Essex County Health Unit 270.7
• Middlesex-London Health Unit 250.0
• Eastern Ontario Health Unit 236.2
• Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit 228.8
• Niagara Region Public Health 219.3
• Peel Public Health 214.7
• Brant County Health Unit 212.0
• City of Hamilton Public Health Services 206.0
• Southwestern Public Health 200.0

• Renfrew County and District Health Unit 194.2
• Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit 192.3
• Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit 192.0
• Hastings Prince Edward Public Health 184.0
• Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit 181.5

• Region of Waterloo Public Health and Emergency Services 181.1

• North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit 175.7
• Ottawa Public Health 173.8
• Halton Region Public Health 172.5
• Huron Perth Public Health 165.3
• Toronto Public Health 158.3
• Durham Region Health Department 155.5
• Peterborough Public Health 150.0
• Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health 144.9
• Timiskaming Health Unit 143.8
• Grey Bruce Health Unit 141.3
• York Region Public Health 125.4
• Kingston, Frontenac and Lennox & Addington Public Health 125.0

• TOTAL ONTARIO 187.2
The Region of Waterloo is looking to expand the in-school vaccination programs to more schools: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.6336579

(02-02-2022, 01:34 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Could you possibly edit your post to use her actual name? It's counterproductive to the discussion.  I don't like her as a politician but that seems pretty disrespectful to her as a person.

I feel that respect is earned, and she hardly shows respect to anyone (that is, the general population) in Ontario. Her job is, as official opposition, to be helpful. She has zero business in leading a political party, IMHO. Though to be honest, I'll say that for just about everyone.
I think danbrotherson and I were talking about nasal vaccines a few months ago? Aside from the McMaster one there's this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/02/healt...nasal.html
(02-03-2022, 09:21 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-02-2022, 01:34 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Could you possibly edit your post to use her actual name? It's counterproductive to the discussion.  I don't like her as a politician but that seems pretty disrespectful to her as a person.

I feel that respect is earned, and she hardly shows respect to anyone (that is, the general population) in Ontario. Her job is, as official opposition, to be helpful.  She has zero business in leading a political party, IMHO. Though to be honest, I'll say that for just about everyone.

And I think that calling people by their wrong name is childish, guffster!
(02-03-2022, 09:21 PM)jeffster Wrote:

I feel that respect is earned, and she hardly shows respect to anyone (that is, the general population) in Ontario. Her job is, as official opposition, to be helpful.  She has zero business in leading a political party, IMHO. Though to be honest, I'll say that for just about everyone.

Is respect earned, yes.  Is someone’s name part of that respect, no, that’s just basic humanity. It’s a form of bullying to misname people, at best, I agree with ijmorlan that it makes you sound childish.
(02-03-2022, 09:39 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 09:21 PM)jeffster Wrote: I feel that respect is earned, and she hardly shows respect to anyone (that is, the general population) in Ontario. Her job is, as official opposition, to be helpful.  She has zero business in leading a political party, IMHO. Though to be honest, I'll say that for just about everyone.

And I think that calling people by their wrong name is childish, guffster!

I do agree. As much as I disagree with some of our politicians, I will grant them enough respect to use their real name. And I won't use derogatory modifications of the party names, either.

Not a popular position, I know.
Only semi-related to the pandemic, but if anyone is going uptown this weekend, be alert that they're holding a protest convoy over the weekend: https://twitter.com/Ashley_Promyse/statu...3237170179

Spotted a couple vehicles in a convoy downtown with women screaming out the window, so I guess they are getting a headstart. Notable was the huge pickup truck with a "FUCK TRUDEAU" flag waving on the back. A true clown world we live in.
Wastewater analysis looks pretty good now for Kitchener and Waterloo (down 80% from the peak), Cambridge not so much.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »