Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acquiring Food During a Pandemic
(05-19-2020, 03:22 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 02:43 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: By-Law doesn't have the authority under the HTA for traffic direction.

Auxiliary Police do, but such traffic control is outside of their mandate.  You'd be looking at a paid duty officer on overtime, and someone would need to figure out who is paying for that.

Coke

The real solution is to charge market rates for parking at the market and at new city. With prices decreasing the farther you get from there, instead of what we do right now which is literally the opposite.

Also by time period. There is tons of parking in the evening; it’s only at busy times/places that parking needs to be rationed. At present there is no financial incentive to use the evening periods for visits that can happen at that time. Something like SFPark, except that I don’t see why prices shouldn’t go to 0 at any time periods that even free parking doesn’t fill up.

An interactive map showing restaurants, cafés and grocery stores offering curbside, pick-up and delivery during the pandemic.

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...ed-2365473
Has anyone ever seen Danish-style rye bread (rugbrød) sold somewhere in KW? I worked in Greenland for several summers and ate this bread all the time, and loved it. I'd love to find something reasonably close here. The key is that it is very seedy compared to normal breads.
(05-21-2020, 06:18 PM)jamincan Wrote: Has anyone ever seen Danish-style rye bread (rugbrød) sold somewhere in KW? I worked in Greenland for several summers and ate this bread all the time, and loved it. I'd love to find something reasonably close here. The key is that it is very seedy compared to normal breads.

The closest to local that I've seen it is the restaurant at The Bruce Hotel in Stratford served it to me. It was a little while ago, but could always call and ask where they got it, or if it was in-house.
(05-21-2020, 06:18 PM)jamincan Wrote: Has anyone ever seen Danish-style rye bread (rugbrød) sold somewhere in KW? I worked in Greenland for several summers and ate this bread all the time, and loved it. I'd love to find something reasonably close here. The key is that it is very seedy compared to normal breads.
I don't know if it is the same thing, but Nougat makes a very good whole grain sunflower rye that you might want to try.
It's definitely not the same thing judging from the picture and description, but it sounds delicious regardless.

Not KW but if you're going to Mississauga you might try continuing to Union Station where there is the Danish Pastry House:

http://www.danishpastryhouse.ca/Rye-Bread.cfm

There's a restaurant called The Danish Place in Puslinch: http://www.thedanishplace.com. There's a picture at the bottom of their menu page that suggests rye is a bread option, but it doesn't say specifically what type of rye is. There's a good chance they are currently closed.

I don't know anything about the place, I learned about them in an episode of Nick and Taylor Make a Food Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N-x0rvvcXA
Thanks for the suggestions guys; turns out the Danish Pastry House has quite a few locations, just none in my neck of the woods. The Danish Place, on the other hand, is pretty conveniently located, although it sounds like they are closed down for the time being and things look a bit perilous for them. If they serve smorrebrod, they definitely have rugbrod. I'm guessing they probably make their own, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Was just looking at a video of how to make it.  Seemed like it would be pretty easy to make your own, if you could get a sourdough starter from a bakery.
I've tried making a sourdough starter before, but I just don't make bread often enough to make it worthwhile. I think you are also properly supposed to make a rye-specific starter as the culture that is optimal for rye grains is different than a wheat culture. On the other hand, this recipe doesn't use a sourdough starter at all. I'm skeptical the end result would be correct, but the picture looks pretty much spot on.
(05-25-2020, 09:36 AM)jamincan Wrote: I've tried making a sourdough starter before, but I just don't make bread often enough to make it worthwhile. I think you are also properly supposed to make a rye-specific starter as the culture that is optimal for rye grains is different than a wheat culture. On the other hand, this recipe doesn't use a sourdough starter at all. I'm skeptical the end result would be correct, but the picture looks pretty much spot on.

You can apparently make a rye sourdough starter from Finncrisp, and probably also from Wasa. It's in my plans but I have not tested yet.

You may want to use Google Translate on this. Smile
https://www.kodinkuvalehti.fi/artikkeli/...eipajuuren
You can dry out a sourdough starter to save it as well. I've heard of people freezing it but never done either myself, I have so much yeast.

Made some bread the other week, turned out great.  If anything there's probably going to be better cooking skills , for a lot of people, on the far side of this pandemic.
Looks like the Kitchener Market will be re-opening the weekend following this weekend:

https://www.kitchener.ca/Modules/News/in...a8239d416a

The measures mostly make sense, closing the interior spaces, etc.

But I'm disappointed they haven't chosen to use the roads roads in order to spread out the vendors more. It's disappointing the cities obsession with maintaining vehicle traffic.

The protest last night was a good example, the police, while I respect their minimal response, should have closed more roads to make more space to spread out.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »