Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Road design, transportation and walkability
Terminal Construction at the Sunrise Centre is well underway.

One thing the pandemic lockdown seems to have done, is sped up transit construction. This is true of projects all over, I hear.
(05-01-2020, 10:01 PM)KevinL Wrote: One thing the pandemic lockdown seems to have done, is sped up transit construction. This is true of projects all over, I hear.

Not residential condo construction in the Eastern Townships of Quebec I hear. I mean, projects are always delayed, but it seems hard for them to provision.
(05-01-2020, 09:00 AM)neonjoe Wrote: I for one do feel that the upgrade of Fischer Hallman is warranted. They will be converting a 2 lane rural road to an urban road with infrastructure for pedestrians and cyclists. The current road is completely hostile to anyone that isn't in a car. I'm fine with the road being reconstructed just for the fact that it makes that part of the city accessible to those who aren't in cars. The extra lanes aren't going to increase the cost by that much considering the rebuild includes storm management, mut and other involved infrastructure.
Well said.
(05-01-2020, 02:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 01:35 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: That being said, yes, the carbon tax should increase significantly (and simply be paid out per capita, with no special deals for anyone).

What do you mean by "simply paid out per capita?" Are you referring to the refunds (to individuals) of the collected carbon tax? Or something else?

(This discussion should maybe move over to urban planning ... )

Yes, I mean that the money collected is pooled and paid out to every citizen, the same amount to each (OK, possibly a smaller amount to children, held in trust by their parents).

No special deals for “these people live in a rural area so they ‘need’ more support” or whatever.

The money can be taxable — no reason not to collect half of it back from high income people — but as simple a program as possible, and the foundation of a future guaranteed income.
(05-01-2020, 09:00 AM)neonjoe Wrote: I for one do feel that the upgrade of Fischer Hallman is warranted. They will be converting a 2 lane rural road to an urban road with infrastructure for pedestrians and cyclists. The current road is completely hostile to anyone that isn't in a car. I'm fine with the road being reconstructed just for the fact that it makes that part of the city accessible to those who aren't in cars. The extra lanes aren't going to increase the cost by that much considering the rebuild includes storm management, mut and other involved infrastructure.

I also agree.  This reconstruction is a great idea and as others have already said, is necessary.  It will improve the current situation for pedestrians, cyclists, cars and transit.  Sounds like a win all around.  The drawings show MUT on both sides of the road which is great in case the amount of cycling and walking increases over time.  The increase in safety for pedestrians and cyclists is a big plus in my opinion.
(05-02-2020, 01:33 PM)sevenman Wrote:

I also agree.  This reconstruction is a great idea and as others have already said, is necessary.  It will improve the current situation for pedestrians, cyclists, cars and transit.  Sounds like a win all around.  The drawings show MUT on both sides of the road which is great in case the amount of cycling and walking increases over time.  The increase in safety for pedestrians and cyclists is a big plus in my opinion.

This kind of believe that you can make massive road investments "a win for everyone" just by adding some compromised cycling and walking infra around the thing is like lipstick on a pig, it doesn't change the fact that building suburbs designe exclusively around the car make walking and cycling unpleasant bordering on intolerable. Yes, this road isn't as bad as say Fairway, but it's not a design which makes cycling walking and transit a real option--despite what the regions transportation policy claims to do.

(05-02-2020, 02:11 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-02-2020, 01:33 PM)sevenman Wrote: I also agree.  This reconstruction is a great idea and as others have already said, is necessary.  It will improve the current situation for pedestrians, cyclists, cars and transit.  Sounds like a win all around.  The drawings show MUT on both sides of the road which is great in case the amount of cycling and walking increases over time.  The increase in safety for pedestrians and cyclists is a big plus in my opinion.

This kind of believe that you can make massive road investments "a win for everyone" just by adding some compromised cycling and walking infra around the thing is like lipstick on a pig, it doesn't change the fact that building suburbs designe exclusively around the car make walking and cycling unpleasant bordering on intolerable. Yes, this road isn't as bad as say Fairway, but it's not a design which makes cycling walking and transit a real option--despite what the regions transportation policy claims to do.

I live in a suburb and as I type this from my home office, I look out the window and see a nice young family with a young child going for a walk with their dog.  They look quite happy.  There experience doesn't seem to be unpleasant or intolerable.
(05-02-2020, 02:40 PM)sevenman Wrote:
(05-02-2020, 02:11 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: This kind of believe that you can make massive road investments "a win for everyone" just by adding some compromised cycling and walking infra around the thing is like lipstick on a pig, it doesn't change the fact that building suburbs designe exclusively around the car make walking and cycling unpleasant bordering on intolerable. Yes, this road isn't as bad as say Fairway, but it's not a design which makes cycling walking and transit a real option--despite what the regions transportation policy claims to do.

I live in a suburb and as I type this from my home office, I look out the window and see a nice young family with a young child going for a walk with their dog.  They look quite happy.  There experience doesn't seem to be unpleasant or intolerable.

Recreational walking is not the same thing as transportation.  Walking within a suburb is usually quite pleasant. But that rarely gives you access to more than a park, maybe a school, and a corner store if you're lucky.

So ask yourself, where they walking to? Are they just out for a stroll? Or are they going to a grocery store? Would they have to cross a major road with a small child to get there? How comfortable is it to a parent with a child trying to cross in front of high speed traffic.

The point is not to enable walking, it's to enable walkability, that means that destinations are accessible.

This kind of blindness we must fight, yes, lots of people go for walks in their neighbourhoods, and they find it perfectly pleasant, same with biking. They do not experience what it is like when you do not get to choose where you walk or bike, but must bike TO somewhere.
(05-02-2020, 02:40 PM)sevenman Wrote:
(05-02-2020, 02:11 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: This kind of believe that you can make massive road investments "a win for everyone" just by adding some compromised cycling and walking infra around the thing is like lipstick on a pig, it doesn't change the fact that building suburbs designe exclusively around the car make walking and cycling unpleasant bordering on intolerable. Yes, this road isn't as bad as say Fairway, but it's not a design which makes cycling walking and transit a real option--despite what the regions transportation policy claims to do.

Oh yeah and about 20 min. ago there was a group of three teenagers that went riding by on their bikes.  They also looked like they we enjoying themselves.
(05-02-2020, 02:47 PM)sevenman Wrote:
(05-02-2020, 02:40 PM)sevenman Wrote: I live in a suburb and as I type this from my home office, I look out the window and see a nice young family with a young child going for a walk with their dog.  They look quite happy.  There experience doesn't seem to be unpleasant or intolerable.
Oh yeah and about 20 min. ago there was a group of three teenagers that went riding by on their bikes.  They also looked like they we enjoying themselves.

Recreation is great, no one would argue with that. But it's limited. The question, though, is: can you live your life without a car? Walking and biking should be usable as primary means of transportation, not just as recreation.
I have stopped commenting on all things bicycle, roads or transportation because it just brings out the viewpoint bullies. There can be only one view to life --> their view.

"They" are absolutely right all of the time and so it is "their way or the highway" !
"I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly."
(05-02-2020, 07:32 PM)plam Wrote:
(05-02-2020, 02:47 PM)sevenman Wrote: Oh yeah and about 20 min. ago there was a group of three teenagers that went riding by on their bikes.  They also looked like they we enjoying themselves.

Recreation is great, no one would argue with that. But it's limited. The question, though, is: can you live your life without a car? Walking and biking should be usable as primary means of transportation, not just as recreation.

Recreation is limited?  How?

Walking and biking could be used as primary means as it pertains to the individual or their situation.  I just wouldn't want to take my son to hockey practice on a 7 am January morning on our bicycles.  Walking or biking down to the grocery store to pick up weekly groceries for a family of five is not something I really feel like doing.  But, I can and have biked down to the neighbourhood Zehrs to pick up a small individual item.  Guess I could cycle the 25 km to work but then I don't have shower facilities when I get there and again I would never consider it in winter.  I commend you for these two modes being able to be your primary means, just doesn't work for me. 
 Even those who are able to have those two modes as their primary means at some point still rely on someone who uses some sort of vehicle to deliver a product or service ( pizza guy, plumber, UPS, service tech etc. ).  Now that I think of it, when I was younger I did try to bring a pizza home on a bicycle.  It didn't look great when I got home but I still ate it.

(05-02-2020, 07:32 PM)plam Wrote: Recreation is great, no one would argue with that. But it's limited. The question, though, is: can you live your life without a car? Walking and biking should be usable as primary means of transportation, not just as recreation.

It's not quite walk/bicycle vs car as the only options.
  • Car
  • Motorcycle (or scooter)
  • Bicycle
  • Walking
  • Transit
  • Taxi/Uber
Depending on where you live, some of these may not be feasible, such as small/remote communities without local stores. But, even then, you could work within walking distance, bicycle to some places and take a taxi once in a while. It's really a continuum.
(05-02-2020, 02:11 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-02-2020, 01:33 PM)sevenman Wrote: I also agree.  This reconstruction is a great idea and as others have already said, is necessary.  It will improve the current situation for pedestrians, cyclists, cars and transit.  Sounds like a win all around.  The drawings show MUT on both sides of the road which is great in case the amount of cycling and walking increases over time.  The increase in safety for pedestrians and cyclists is a big plus in my opinion.

It's unfortunate that you feel MUT's  are "compromised" cycling and walking infrastructure?  I've used them without a problem and think they work pretty good.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »