Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Paul's/MennoHomes Affordable Housing | 5fl Phase I
St. Paul's/MennoHomes Affordable Housing
Phase I View from Bridgeport (west end of property)
[Image: UbKqZmd.jpg]

Phase I view from Lancaster
[Image: bj93pzA.jpg]
Site (Phase I)
[Image: nlOHzh3.jpg]

Prominent corner lot at northwest corner of Lancaster & Bridgeport. 1956 church has been demolished and is to be replaced with an affordable housing complex in a joint effort by MennoHomes and St Paul's Lutheran Church. Pictured is phase I. Unusually, the church is not selling the property and moving to a more suburban location, but intends to remain here, building a worship space on the first floor. This will be a substantial increase of affordable stock operated by Menno Homes, who currently operate 105 units.
Phase I:
  • 5 stories
  • 48 units
  • 40x 1br, 525-663 sq ft
  • 8x 2br, ~800 sq ft
  • Worship/Community Spaces on first floor.
  • Rents are reported to range from $497 (Ontario Disability Support Program) to $1045 monthly The Record
Phase 2:
  • A second building at a later date (5-8 years)
  • Intended 4 stories
  • ~36 units
More renders and progress photos: Menno Homes Facebook
More Renders (and video tour of site render): Menno Homes Twitter
Committee of adjustment application and resident complaints: Here
Committee of adjustment approval and complaints: Here

Yeah, the building doesn't look exciting. But 48+36 units of affordable housing is worthy of celebration. Kudos to St Paul's for doing this!

And my thanks to the council for not bending to the NIMBY applicants.
Pretty good use of the property IMO.
(05-21-2020, 01:41 PM)Nextasy Wrote:
St. Paul's/MennoHomes Affordable Housing
Phase I View from Bridgeport (west end of property)
[Image: UbKqZmd.jpg]

Phase I view from Lancaster
[Image: bj93pzA.jpg]
Site (Phase I)
[Image: nlOHzh3.jpg]

Prominent corner lot at northwest corner of Lancaster & Bridgeport. 1956 church has been demolished and is to be replaced with an affordable housing complex in a joint effort by MennoHomes and St Paul's Lutheran Church. Pictured is phase I. Unusually, the church is not selling the property and moving to a more suburban location, but intends to remain here, building a worship space on the first floor. This will be a substantial increase of affordable stock operated by Menno Homes, who currently operate 105 units.
Phase I:
  • 5 stories
  • 48 units
  • 40x 1br, 525-663 sq ft
  • 8x 2br, ~800 sq ft
  • Worship/Community Spaces on first floor.
  • Rents are reported to range from $497 (Ontario Disability Support Program) to $1045 monthly The Record
Phase 2:
  • A second building at a later date (5-8 years)
  • Intended 4 stories
  • ~36 units
More renders and progress photos: Menno Homes Facebook
More Renders (and video tour of site render): Menno Homes Twitter
Committee of adjustment application and resident complaints: Here
Committee of adjustment approval and complaints: Here

Nice that Kitchener is getting some affordable housing. $497 rent for those on ODSP will be real helpful. How the government expects people to find rent at $497, tho, like...wow. I didn't know the exact amount that ODSP paid recipients that were on their own. My daughter is on ODSP, but she lives with me, $896 is supposed to cover everything, as this is the standard giving to any recipient living with relatives.

Anyway, sorry, that was way off topic. Just glad to see some help coming for those that desperately need it.
Yeah. If this was a strictly commercial condo venture, I wouldn't support it in this state. But the fact that it's

A) affordable housing
B) A church group not cashing out, but remaining in the building (since they're owners, will likely keep it in very good condition)
C) In Bridgeport, which never gets any of the love it desperately needs.
D) A really important and prominent property at the gateway to Bridgeport Village that's not getting wasted on a suburban drive-thru tim hortons.

I believe Phase II is to go in the northwest corner (bottom right of the site plan) and thats where the neighbours are putting up more of a fight. This layout still allows for another potential development on Lancaster, which would be killer.

There's also some notes about providing extra energy/utility efficiency in hopes of keeping utility bills to a minimum (since those aren't included in the rent). Above and beyond for the area.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »