Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Better Tent City
(06-20-2021, 06:29 AM)neonjoe Wrote: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/neighbours-...-1.5477892

That was a nice story. The headline made me feel that perhaps something negative happened….but no, residents bought them a new fridge and 20 pizzas. That’s something those residents need to be proud of, at least we do have some people in the region that care. Great to see.

Also makes me realize that when find a spot for ABTC, it’ll need to be in Kitchener most likely. Absolutely take Waterloo off the table, don’t even think about it.

(06-20-2021, 07:29 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-20-2021, 06:29 AM)neonjoe Wrote: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/neighbours-...-1.5477892

That was a nice story. The headline made me feel that perhaps something negative happened….but no, residents bought them a new fridge and 20 pizzas. That’s something those residents need to be proud of, at least we do have some people in the region that care. Great to see.

Also makes me realize that when find a spot for ABTC, it’ll need to be in Kitchener most likely. Absolutely take Waterloo off the table, don’t even think about it.

Yeah, I was quite impressed with the article (I'm consistently impressed with the reporter who wrote it). They went out of their way to provide a balanced view, covering the viewpoints of at least someone involved with ABTC.

The headline is reasonable though, the response seems to be mixed (which is better than Woolwich, where, while there were a few positive voices they were drown out by an angry frothing at the mouth crowd screaming about how these people will destroy their town and murder their children).

Certainly this quote has the same energy: "In an email to CTV News, one nearby resident says they weren't notified of the move and that "the safety of our children, businesses, our homes, and reputation must be addressed.""---I mean, you wouldn't want to gain a reputation as a compassionate inclusive person now would you.

I do wonder how much the explicit temporary time frame plays into the reception though.
It's like the people complaining forget that these people were already living near them, only instead of being in tents hidden away in bushes, they're centralized in a single site where there is a sense of community for them to be part of which is more likely going to decrease any potential crime. And why do they keep complaining about the safety of children? It's not a pedophile commune for christ's sake.
(06-20-2021, 09:12 AM)ac3r Wrote: It's like the people complaining forget that these people were already living near them, only instead of being in tents hidden away in bushes, they're centralized in a single site where there is a sense of community for them to be part of which is more likely going to decrease any potential crime. And why do they keep complaining about the safety of children? It's not a pedophile commune for christ's sake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jFqhjaGh30

If my Waterloo backyard were a bit bigger I might offer it up. I suspect they need more space than I have however.
(06-20-2021, 09:12 AM)ac3r Wrote: It's like the people complaining forget that these people were already living near them, only instead of being in tents hidden away in bushes, they're centralized in a single site where there is a sense of community for them to be part of which is more likely going to decrease any potential crime. And why do they keep complaining about the safety of children? It's not a pedophile commune for christ's sake.

Because people think invoking children makes their argument more compelling.
What area's in Kitchener do we have that could potentially offer a permanent solution? And, does Kitchener ask for the Region to chip for the cost? Or does the city of Waterloo and the 4 townships veto this?
(06-20-2021, 05:57 PM)jeffster Wrote: What area's in Kitchener do we have that could potentially offer a permanent solution? And, does Kitchener ask for the Region to chip for the cost? Or does the city of Waterloo and the 4 townships veto this?

I don't think any of these are permanent but should get them through the winter at minimum.

Bramm yards
A corner of the Auditorium/Jack Couch property.
The future transit hub, the Region seemingly has no plans for it. (slight sarcasm, mostly annoyed at the pace of the project, put the space to good use in the meantime)
Does the Region have any spots around Wellington N and Riverbend from the on again/off again hwy 7 project that could work.

Someone on Reddit mentioned the old factory plot at Courtland and Hayward. It's got an old concrete and asphalt foundation so they could safely place the sheds on those. Pretty sure it's owned by a private entity though, so that would complicate things. I don't know how permanent they expect this concept to be, sadly, so I can't see them going out of their way to purchase new land or relinquish land they already own.
(06-21-2021, 09:31 AM)Chris Wrote:
(06-20-2021, 05:57 PM)jeffster Wrote: What area's in Kitchener do we have that could potentially offer a permanent solution? And, does Kitchener ask for the Region to chip for the cost? Or does the city of Waterloo and the 4 townships veto this?

I don't think any of these are permanent but should get them through the winter at minimum.

Bramm yards
A corner of the Auditorium/Jack Couch property.
The future transit hub, the Region seemingly has no plans for it. (slight sarcasm, mostly annoyed at the pace of the project, put the space to good use in the meantime)
Does the Region have any spots around Wellington N and Riverbend from the on again/off again hwy 7 project that could work.

Not sure that behind Jack Couch is a great area: It’s a leaf dumping area in the autumn, there are some houses right beside that area, and it might be a hazard during baseball season (for ABTC residents - HR balls travel pretty far out). Likely no ability to put useful facilities on that piece of land, and it’s mostly grass, The transit hub is a good idea, but again, it’s owned by the region and the City of Waterloo and townships would likely object.

The old Budd plant area might work, as that development is still far off — if the owner is OK with it.
The snow dumping sites would work as well, at least for the warmer months.
(06-21-2021, 12:17 PM)jeffster Wrote: Not sure that behind Jack Couch is a great area: It’s a leaf dumping area in the autumn, there are some houses right beside that area, and it might be a hazard during baseball season (for ABTC residents - HR balls travel pretty far out). Likely no ability to put useful facilities on that piece of land, and it’s mostly grass, The transit hub is a good idea, but again, it’s owned by the region and the City of Waterloo and townships would likely object.

The old Budd plant area might work, as that development is still far off — if the owner is OK with it.

I just mean anywhere in that complex, not specifically where the leaf dump is. Lots of parking where they could sacrifice some spots. Maybe a corner of the lot with skate park in it? Maybe an area next to the Armoury building. But this is more of a long shot option. I'm just trying to think of where the city owns underutilized space. This is used some 40 times a year for the Rangers for 3-4 hours at a time. Other than Rangers games I can't think of any events that require the entire parking lot.
Depending on how far off construction is, I might have suggested the old Schneiders site, behind the warehouse. The warehouse would allow easy access to hydro and water. I don’t know if it’s big enough, but the old hydro sub-station at Courtland and Borden might work.
(06-21-2021, 01:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Depending on how far off construction is, I might have suggested the old Schneiders site, behind the warehouse.  The warehouse would allow easy access to hydro and water.  I don’t know if it’s big enough, but the old hydro sub-station at Courtland and Borden might work.

Lol...funny you say that because there is a tent encampment right there already. Someone even managed to get it marked as a hotel on Google Maps titled "Homeless encampment #1" that had a few joke reviews about how beautiful and safe it is. You can see it on the map here, though the location marker has been removed: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4374485,...a=!3m1!1e3

Can't see Auburn allowing this, though. It's now their property and the last thing they'd want are homeless people living around there and stealing things.

(06-21-2021, 01:13 PM)Chris Wrote:
(06-21-2021, 12:17 PM)jeffster Wrote: Not sure that behind Jack Couch is a great area: It’s a leaf dumping area in the autumn, there are some houses right beside that area, and it might be a hazard during baseball season (for ABTC residents - HR balls travel pretty far out). Likely no ability to put useful facilities on that piece of land, and it’s mostly grass, The transit hub is a good idea, but again, it’s owned by the region and the City of Waterloo and townships would likely object.

I just mean anywhere in that complex, not specifically where the leaf dump is. Lots of parking where they could sacrifice some spots. Maybe a corner of the lot with skate park in it? Maybe an area next to the Armoury building. But this is more of a long shot option. I'm just trying to think of where the city owns underutilized space. This is used some 40 times a year for the Rangers for 3-4 hours at a time. Other than Rangers games I can't think of any events that require the entire parking lot.

Normally there are a lot more events there than just the Rangers, it might peak out at 70 events a year where the entire lot is used (concerts, special events, etc). Beside the Skate-Park/Dog Park not a good idea. Again, no facilities to use either. The few times that I have had to use that lot for events, there has be a few times I parked on the street. But access to washrooms and showers is what's important as well. That seems to be available at the snow facility.
(06-21-2021, 02:18 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(06-21-2021, 01:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Depending on how far off construction is, I might have suggested the old Schneiders site, behind the warehouse.  The warehouse would allow easy access to hydro and water.  I don’t know if it’s big enough, but the old hydro sub-station at Courtland and Borden might work.

Lol...funny you say that because there is a tent encampment right there already. Someone even managed to get it marked as a hotel on Google Maps titled "Homeless encampment #1" that had a few joke reviews about how beautiful and safe it is. You can see it on the map here, though the location marker has been removed: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4374485,...a=!3m1!1e3

Can't see Auburn allowing this, though. It's now their property and the last thing they'd want are homeless people living around there and stealing things.

While I'm sure this may be their response....it continues to be frustrating to me to refer to the people living in ABTC as "homeless thieves".
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »