Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Better Tent City
This isn't really a permanent solution to homelessness, but it is (at least in my opinion) a very worthy initiative to find a better solution for our region's rough sleepers (maybe 100-200 people in total). Assuming that we get approval for this, and can sign up a few other properties, it would be a significant mitigation of the rough-sleeping issue. To be followed, hopefully, by a proper long-term solution.
https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...s-say.html

[Image: better_tent_city_6.jpg]

If you are willing to support this, I encourage you to make a (tax-deductible!) donation at the Social Development Centre Waterloo Region:
http://www.waterlooregion.org/give-for-a...mon-future

(06-21-2020, 05:01 PM)tomh009 Wrote: This isn't really a permanent solution to homelessness, but it is (at least in my opinion) a very worthy initiative to find a better solution for our region's rough sleepers (maybe 100-200 people in total). Assuming that we get approval for this, and can sign up a few other properties, it would be a significant mitigation of the rough-sleeping issue. To be followed, hopefully, by a proper long-term solution.
https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...s-say.html

[Image: better_tent_city_6.jpg]

If you are willing to support this, I encourage you to make a (tax-deductible!) donation at the Social Development Centre Waterloo Region:
http://www.waterlooregion.org/give-for-a...mon-future

This is a very good idea.  Definitely worth supporting.
Kitchener has approved this for one year, for now, at least.
https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...-year.html
Saw these getting painted at St. Mary's Church, Young Street.

The pastor and/or congregation of that church seems to be really community minded, I remember seeing him on the news when they opened up their basement for a shelter one winter when we hit a cold snap and the rest weren't open yet. Good on them.
A story here:
https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...eless.html

Now, are these going to ABTC or somewhere else?
Are they not being left where they are now, at the church?

(07-16-2020, 09:51 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Are they not being left where they are now, at the church?

The church said they are being donated to a local non-profit (see the Record article).
(07-16-2020, 10:41 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 09:51 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Are they not being left where they are now, at the church?

The church said they are being donated to a local non-profit (see the Record article).

Last I heard, their final destination is yet to be determined. They will be offered up to a local non-profit (as Tom pointed out) once they are completed. I believe conversations are happening now about which non-profit that may be.
Something very similar in appearance to these has appeared in Lot 9 (behind Ellison's Bistro). Looks slightly different than the photos posted here but I'm not sure what else it would be.
NIMBYs in Woolwich Township are petitioning to stop A Better Tent City from moving out to their suburb. They've got a Change.org page running and The Record ran a story about it. The main complaint is that they basically don't want these people living near them and are assuming they'll breed criminal activity. Currently, it seems like the township is now pausing the plans while they figure out what to do, which is bad news for A Better Tent City since they have barely 3 weeks to find a new place to call home or risk being thrown to the curb once again.
(06-03-2021, 09:00 AM)ac3r Wrote: NIMBYs in Woolwich Township are petitioning to stop A Better Tent City from moving out to their suburb. They've got a Change.org page running and The Record ran a story about it. The main complaint is that they basically don't want these people living near them and are assuming they'll breed criminal activity. Currently, it seems like the township is now pausing the plans while they figure out what to do, which is bad news for A Better Tent City since they have barely 3 weeks to find a new place to call home or risk being thrown to the curb once again.

Frankly, I have absolutely nothing nice to say to these NIMBYs...it's ridiculous...
It wasn't even in Breslau Proper. The farm that was proposed is North of Victoria St so its fairly isolated from residential part of the town. The people interviewed on CTV regarding this were the prototypical Karens. The part of the neighbourhood nearest to Spitzig Rd doesn't have any pedestrian shortcut to Victoria so anyone from the farm would be walking at least 1km to get to Fountain St/Victoria which is the nearest roadway into the town.

(06-03-2021, 09:11 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 09:00 AM)ac3r Wrote: NIMBYs in Woolwich Township are petitioning to stop A Better Tent City from moving out to their suburb. They've got a Change.org page running and The Record ran a story about it. The main complaint is that they basically don't want these people living near them and are assuming they'll breed criminal activity. Currently, it seems like the township is now pausing the plans while they figure out what to do, which is bad news for A Better Tent City since they have barely 3 weeks to find a new place to call home or risk being thrown to the curb once again.

Frankly, I have absolutely nothing nice to say to these NIMBYs...it's ridiculous...

And I will absolutely wear that downvote with pride.

Well, they're getting to the 2,500 signed pretty quickly.

I think once covid-19 testing winds down, you can put this in the old bus terminal. It would be great spot.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »