Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
King-Victoria Transit Hub
(11-26-2014, 12:59 PM)Waterlooer Wrote: Didn't they change the name to the "Innovation District" now?

Yes, they changed the name back in March 2012.

I like the idea of an Industrial Heritage (and Design?) Museum in Kitchener, but I question whether it could be economically sustainable. It would overlap considerably with the Regional History Museum, although that could be addressed.
(11-26-2014, 01:12 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I like the idea of an Industrial Heritage (and Design?) Museum in Kitchener, but I question whether it could be economically sustainable.  It would overlap considerably with the Regional History Museum, although that could be addressed.

Given how sparse is the collection in the regional museum I'd be very hesitant to split it even further with a downtown museum.
(11-26-2014, 01:18 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(11-26-2014, 01:12 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I like the idea of an Industrial Heritage (and Design?) Museum in Kitchener, but I question whether it could be economically sustainable.  It would overlap considerably with the Regional History Museum, although that could be addressed.

Given how sparse is the collection in the regional museum I'd be very hesitant to split it even further with a downtown museum.

The transit hub could be a satellite of the main museum, perhaps highlighting material that relates to transportation and industrial heritage. It would serve not only as a "teaser" to the main museum but also be a standalone venue for people passing through the transit hub on their way somewhere else who don't have the time to go to Doon.
Just to note that the holdings of the Waterloo Region Museum are far more extensive than what you see in the permanent exhibits (as with most museums).  With the acquisition of the Schneiders archives (being negotiated, I'm told), those holding will grow further.  Adding an industrial design component could also create interesting possibilities - other than the Design Exchange in Toronto, I don't know of any place else in Canada that deals with this field.

Edit:  Maybe a sesquicentennial project? 
(11-26-2014, 12:13 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I actually really hope that a conscious effort is taken in designing and constructing the Station to pay homage to the "Warehouse District." I think that it would be very suitable to choose a characteristic design for neighbouring street signs, and to locate art or sculptures and plaques that speak to the way that the neighbourhood originally came about.

I still think that "Warehouse District" is a good opportunity for some meaningful branding, and I hope the architecture "fits" and that the station interacts suitably with the Breithaupt Block and the other nearby buildings from the same era.

I couldn't agree more.  But it depends how the region view this.  Is it at the heart of the "warehouse" district or "innovation" district.

Something that ties into the surrounding buildings would be perfect, or at least parts of them pulling design elements.
The irony of having the most transit-friendly site in the region, the hub, host a teaser for the regional museum, one of the regional sites least accessible to anything but a car, is great.

Photo 

(12-20-2014, 04:11 AM)BrianT Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...M-xCYIH9ho

A few interesting views of King and Victoria on the video.

Well that was... unexpected.
Does anyone know what the fate of Charles Street Terminal will be once the transit hub is complete?
It will be closed. I don't think anything beyond that has been decided. Personally, I think the best use would be to extend Victoria Park there. Currently Victoria Park and Kitchener Downtown are disconnected. It would be really nice if one could stroll from one to the other.
Very nice idea, but I suspect the site will be sold for redevelopment. Sigh.

I think it wouldn't be bad to see a real full-size grocery store there with a residential and office-type building on top of it. They would have to get creative with parking and discourage people driving there but it might work. Maybe block off Gaukel street to cars and have it be pedestrian and bicycles only. It's a great opportunity to do some real city-building though. I walk or bike a lot and it's surprising there aren't more collisions and injuries with all the buses and blind corners in that area.
(02-08-2015, 08:38 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: It will be closed. I don't think anything beyond that has been decided. Personally, I think the best use would be to extend Victoria Park there. Currently Victoria Park and Kitchener Downtown are disconnected. It would be really nice if one could stroll from one to the other.

That's a really interesting idea. Now is the right time to be bringing it up to Kitchener politicians and staff, before the assumption that it will be redeveloped becomes fixed.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »