Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
King-Victoria Transit Hub
The only benefit I can see to being forced to wait for construction to start, is that we might get to revisit the current design choice. I am continually baffled that they didn't even make space for one (1) single coffee shop inside the hub. Sure, you could go across the street to get something to eat (crossing two busy streets to do so), but Cavan Coffee only opens at 8am, so that's not helpful for most of the people taking a GO train towards Toronto every morning. It just feels like such a standard feature for a major transit station; hell, there are NYC subway stations that have stalls selling magazines and chocolate bars on the platform directly beside the train. Surely we can have one place to buy a warm drink.

Is Cavan still open? I haven't seen anyone in the front shop for months and I walk by it twice every day. I like their cold brew but as I never see anyone in the shop I have stopped in since around the end of Sept. They also haven't put the sandwich board out during this time so I've just gone on the assumption that it's no longer operating.

If Cavan is closed, The Dispensary is the only option on this corner now.
(12-21-2022, 03:19 PM)Chris Wrote: Is Cavan still open? I haven't seen anyone in the front shop for months and I walk by it twice every day. I like their cold brew but as I never see anyone in the shop I have stopped in since around the end of Sept. They also haven't put the sandwich board out during this time so I've just gone on the assumption that it's no longer operating.

Honestly, I have no idea, but if they are closed, then that's even worse! There's no space for commercial in the Kaufman Lofts, and the Pharmacy building isn't designed for it either, That leaves 1 Victoria as the only spot on the corner to host a coffee shop that's easily accessible to the transit hub. It would just be smarter to put one inside the hub where it can open at 6am and cater to the wave of people going through there first thing in the morning.

If we're dreaming, I'd love to see a little convenience store (like a bodega-sized shop) in the hub too, so if you were coming home from work and needed to grab a carton of milk or a frozen meal on your way home, it would be a super convenient stop while you're changing buses or getting off the train.
(12-21-2022, 02:52 PM)SF22 Wrote: The only benefit I can see to being forced to wait for construction to start, is that we might get to revisit the current design choice. I am continually baffled that they didn't even make space for one (1) single coffee shop inside the hub. Sure, you could go across the street to get something to eat (crossing two busy streets to do so), but Cavan Coffee only opens at 8am, so that's not helpful for most of the people taking a GO train towards Toronto every morning. It just feels like such a standard feature for a major transit station; hell, there are NYC subway stations that have stalls selling magazines and chocolate bars on the platform directly beside the train. Surely we can have one place to buy a warm drink.

Many Dutch train stations have coffee and pastry outlets on the platforms.
(12-21-2022, 03:19 PM)Chris Wrote: Is Cavan still open? I haven't seen anyone in the front shop for months and I walk by it twice every day. I like their cold brew but as I never see anyone in the shop I have stopped in since around the end of Sept. They also haven't put the sandwich board out during this time so I've just gone on the assumption that it's no longer operating.

The Cavan kiosk moved out of the location unfortunately.
(12-21-2022, 07:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-21-2022, 02:52 PM)SF22 Wrote: The only benefit I can see to being forced to wait for construction to start, is that we might get to revisit the current design choice. I am continually baffled that they didn't even make space for one (1) single coffee shop inside the hub. Sure, you could go across the street to get something to eat (crossing two busy streets to do so), but Cavan Coffee only opens at 8am, so that's not helpful for most of the people taking a GO train towards Toronto every morning. It just feels like such a standard feature for a major transit station; hell, there are NYC subway stations that have stalls selling magazines and chocolate bars on the platform directly beside the train. Surely we can have one place to buy a warm drink.

Many Dutch train stations have coffee and pastry outlets on the platforms.

I would ADORE this. Who doesn't want to start their day with a coffee and a really good pastry?
(12-22-2022, 11:01 AM)SF22 Wrote:
(12-21-2022, 07:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Many Dutch train stations have coffee and pastry outlets on the platforms.

I would ADORE this. Who doesn't want to start their day with a coffee and a really good pastry?

I say we have pretzels too! It'd match our heritage. In Bavaria, U-Bahn stations in München and Nürnberg often contain pretzel vendors in the subway tunnels (amongst, of course, everything else from döner kebap to flowers to coffee to a beer to newspaper stands).

“ Region wants 100 Victoria for August as part of transit hub work”

https://www.therecord.com/news/council/2...-work.html
Per this line from the article, what further realignment are they doing on the tracks that they missed when they did the grade separations?

Quote:"The design work will be done concurrently with work Metrolinx needs to do to realign the current Via Rail corridor."
Kitchener transit hub now expected to cost $130M, Phase 1 to start later this year

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/transit-hub...-1.6264150
(02-07-2023, 08:53 PM)nms Wrote: Per this line from the article, what further realignment are they doing on the tracks that they missed when they did the grade separations?

Quote:"The design work will be done concurrently with work Metrolinx needs to do to realign the current Via Rail corridor."

Further east? The tracks are no longer straight since construction already done — they jog over a bit. Maybe they’ll straighten them out somewhat. On the other hand, presumably they’re not moving where they are at Weber St. so I don’t know.
There's a slight curve just west of Duke St that may need to be straightened out.
(02-08-2023, 01:47 PM)KevinL Wrote: There's a slight curve just west of Duke St that may need to be straightened out.

For some reason the bridges aren't aligned...it makes no sense to me. But the mis-alignment is accommodated over a very short distance rather than spread along the whole distance between the bridges...even more confusing.

That being said given how slow the trains are moving through the area, I don't think it really matters.

(02-07-2023, 09:52 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Kitchener transit hub now expected to cost $130M, Phase 1 to start later this year

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/transit-hub...-1.6264150

What a colossal waste of money this is going to be.
I for one will be upset if the platforms are anything other than absolutely straight. There is no excuse in a new project like this for the track through the station to be bent.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »